upgrade gt 1030

Tony1173

I sff pc and 250 power supply It has a i5 4570s and 16 MB of ram it has a gt 1030 and wanted to know would a rx 6400 be an upgrade

Yes but you won't get full power of the rx 6400 because of the 4x pcie lane restriction. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

It's not worth it. The 6400 is better in theory but it's actually not because it's very PCIe limited on your motherboard, it will barely perform better.

You may be able to find GTX 1650 that does not need additional power connectors which will perform better in those scenarios... and is a much better card overall as it also has on-board encoder.

New low-end GPUs are never a good value. 

Run what you've got, and keep saving your money for a whole-system upgrade. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

12 hours ago, WereCat said:

It's not worth it. The 6400 is better in theory but it's actually not because it's very PCIe limited on your motherboard, it will barely perform better.

You may be able to find GTX 1650 that does not need additional power connectors which will perform better in those scenarios... and is a much better card overall as it also has on-board encoder.

no room for a duel slote card

12 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

New low-end GPUs are never a good value. 

Run what you've got, and keep saving your money for a whole-system upgrade. 

I am on disability and don have that much that I can save and just want a little more out of the PC I have

12 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Yes but you won't get full power of the rx 6400 because of the 4x pcie lane restriction. 

will it run games that need a 4GB card because the gt 1030 is the 2GB card with ddr5 

9 minutes ago, Tony1173 said:

I am on disability and don have that much that I can save and just want a little more out of the PC I have

More reason to save, or at the very least consider used market. Buy smart or buy twice.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, SorryBella said:

More reason to save, or at the very least consider used market. Buy smart or buy twice.

I don't want to buy a whole new PC. I just want a little more out of what I have 

4 hours ago, Tony1173 said:

I don't want to buy a whole new PC. I just want a little more out of what I have 

Unfortunately, there's not a whole lo more to be had from it. The small form factor case and low wattage power supply greatly restrict your expansion options, and even if you could run a high power GPU you would still be CPU bottlenecked before long.

If you can find a used, low profile GTX 1050 ti for under $80, that could tide you over for a while.

I wouldn't spend more than $100 on a GPU for that PC, because once the price tag goes much higher than that you're well on your way to affording a newer platform.

11 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Unfortunately, there's not a whole lo more to be had from it. The small form factor case and low wattage power supply greatly restrict your expansion options, and even if you could run a high power GPU you would still be CPU bottlenecked before long.

If you can find a used, low profile GTX 1050 ti for under $80, that could tide you over for a while.

I wouldn't spend more than $100 on a GPU for that PC, because once the price tag goes much higher than that you're well on your way to affording a newer platform.

no room for a duel slot card all the games I play the CPU is around 35% usage the GPU is maxed out at 100% most of the time on low settings 

11 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

I play games like the long dark, green hell, stranded deep, and the planet crafter those are the type of games I play. I am no good a PVP games like Call of duty, Fortnite 

3 minutes ago, Tony1173 said:

no room for a duel slot card all the games I play the CPU is around 35% usage the GPU is maxed out at 100% most of the time on low settings 

It sounds like your PC simply cannot handle a better video card. Your computer does not have the power supply capacity or physical space for one. You said replacing your entire computer is out of the question, but that's your only sensible upgrade path.

I don't know what else to tell you.