Intel and ASUS Agree to Term Sheet to Take Intel NUC Systems Product Line Forward

Ouira

Summary

Intel, ASUS Agree to Continue NUC Systems Line

Email sent to partners:

image.png.3465bd8d9b6c2031783d4c4c5fc44bf7.png

Quotes

“Our NUC systems product team delivered unique products that spurred innovation in the ultra-small form factor market. As we pivot our strategy to enable ecosystem partners to continue NUC systems product innovation and growth, our priority is to ensure a smooth transition for our customers and partners. I am looking forward to ASUS continuing to deliver exceptional products and supporting our NUC systems customers.”

–Sam Gao, Intel vice president and general manager of Intel Client Platform Solutions

My thoughts

Follow up to the ongoing story of the discontinuation of Intel NUC's.

Sources

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/intel-nuc-systems-agreement.html

Well, at least there is a path forward, though this doesn't really say ASUS is going to develop any new NUC systems. They might develop something with the NUC branding but without making a specific model that a mid-tier dGPU can fit in, it's largely going to be relegated to the same SFF/ITX product stack which is aimed at the lowest-end products.

Seems like ASUS scored a huge notch in their product line. They get all the brand recognition that Intel had.

This reminds me of back when IBM made ThinkPads, and sold the ThinkPad line to Lenovo. For a while after that, Lenovo Thinkpads were still legendary as one of the very best laptops. (I'm not trying to say ASUS will mess up the NUC line like Lenovo has done to Thinkpad.)

Ouch, and I was using NUC because they were reliable and got updates. With Asus soon behind the wheel time to come up with a plan B. 

On 7/20/2023 at 4:06 AM, sounds said:

I'm not trying to say ASUS will mess up the NUC line

Oh, they will. 😉

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder