NVMe M.2 SSD Enclosure compatibility

Hi,  

I have a Corsair Force series NVMe m.2 SSD 240GB 2280. I want to use it as a portable USB drive. I looked for an enclosure and found ORICO M2PF-P3 M.2 NGFF SSD enclosure. I have attached the photos. 

Would this enclosure support my NVMe drive ? 

Thanks 

Screenshot_20230715-193918_Chrome.jpg

20230715_195942.jpg

20230715_200019.jpg

2 minutes ago, Skipple said:

To add onto @Oshino Shinobu, SATA and NVMe drives actually have different keying. You will not be able to physically put that drive into that enclosure.

Not necassarily. Some NVMe drive come with M+B keying, making it even more confusing when it fits into a SATA enclosure but doesn't work. Came across one at work that confused us for a while while trying to remove bitlocker.

EDIT: In this case, yes you can't plug it in, but not all are only M key

8 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Some NVMe drive come with M+B keying, making it even more confusing when it fits into a SATA enclosure but doesn't work.

I've... Never seen that before. I've seen SATA m.2 drives with M+B keying but not the other way around. Interesting.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

1 hour ago, Skipple said:

I've... Never seen that before. I've seen SATA m.2 drives with M+B keying but not the other way around. Interesting.

Definitely not common. Came across them in some Toshiba laptops. May be a matter of some OEM using the same PCB for SATA and NVMe drives to save some money

21 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

No, the enclosure only supports SATA drives. You need one that supports NVMe.

Ohh. I noticed the NVMe Drive got a compact M.2 2280 form factor. And the NGFF m.2 enclosure supports 2280. What do you think? 

20230715_200019.jpg.0e439734e54180b4130f843a5f5a96af.jpg

4 hours ago, Mahmudul Hasan said:

Ohh. I noticed the NVMe Drive got a compact M.2 2280 form factor. And the NGFF m.2 enclosure supports 2280. What do you think? 

2280 is just the dimensions. 22mm wide and 80mm long. the enclosure doesn't support that drive as it uses the NVMe protocol but the enclosure only supports SATA.

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

2280 is just the dimensions. 22mm wide and 80mm long. the enclosure doesn't support that drive as it uses the NVMe protocol but the enclosure only supports SATA.

Got it. Thanks.