Ryzen 7950X or Ryzen 7950X3D, which one?

I'm looking to upgrade my Ryzen 9 5950x either later this year or next year, and I'm reviewing options right now. I'm looking at the Ryzen 7000 and looking at the 7950X and 7950X3D. 

I mostly use my PC for fairly graphicly demanding games, Blender work, rendering, etc. And my cpu is currently at a -25 undervolt.

If I'm going for AMD for my upgrade, the 7950X and 7950X3D are looking to be my two options and I'd like some help on which one to go for. For the regular 7950, it has slight higher base clock and, from what I've read, has better productivity performance over the X3D because of it and from what I've read is a little more overclocking friendly.

However, the 7950X3D has 3D V-Cache, better gaming performance, slightly lower TDP and has similar Boost Clock to the regular 7950. But it has slightly lower base clock and productivity performance, not as overclocking friendly as the Regular, and is a bit more expensive from what I've seen. On top of that, I've read that there is also supposed to be a special scheduling software that needs to be downloaded so that the X3D CCD can be used effectively? 

I'm quite torn between these two as one seems to look like it is better for productivity and the other looks to be better for gaming. I value gaming and productivity equally and don't really have a preference between them. In addition, I would like to try overclocking for my upgrade. Nothing too major, just enough to get a bit of a boost that I can daily drive. Again, it looks like one is better suited than the other. So I'm quite torn between the two options.

Any thoughts? 

7950x, 7950x3D is kind of a meh CPU. Costs more, does less. If you want a gaming CPU, get a 7800x3D, if you want production, 7950x or 13900k/14900k in a few months. 

7950x3D has half its cores at a much slower clock, so its going to be worse overall then a 7950x, plus afaik there is STILL scheduling issues when trying to use both CCDs on certain workloads. You need to completely reinstall windows and such. 

7 minutes ago, Krai1234 said:

I'm looking to upgrade my Ryzen 9 5950x either later this year or next year, and I'm reviewing options right now. I'm looking at the Ryzen 7000 and looking at the 7950X and 7950X3D. 

I mostly use my PC for fairly graphicly demanding games, Blender work, rendering, etc. And my cpu is currently at a -25 undervolt.

If I'm going for AMD for my upgrade, the 7950X and 7950X3D are looking to be my two options and I'd like some help on which one to go for. For the regular 7950, it has slight higher base clock and, from what I've read, has better productivity performance over the X3D because of it and from what I've read is a little more overclocking friendly.

However, the 7950X3D has 3D V-Cache, better gaming performance, slightly lower TDP and has similar Boost Clock to the regular 7950. But it has slightly lower base clock and productivity performance, not as overclocking friendly as the Regular, and is a bit more expensive from what I've seen. On top of that, I've read that there is also supposed to be a special scheduling software that needs to be downloaded so that the X3D CCD can be used effectively? 

I'm quite torn between these two as one seems to look like it is better for productivity and the other looks to be better for gaming. I value gaming and productivity equally and don't really have a preference between them. In addition, I would like to try overclocking for my upgrade. Nothing too major, just enough to get a bit of a boost that I can daily drive. Again, it looks like one is better suited than the other. So I'm quite torn between the two options.

Any thoughts? 

Go with the 7950X3D.  its still a 16 core 32 threaded CPU and will still to excellent in productivity and rendering while also give a massive boost to gaming performance over your 5950X. Those slightly lower clockspeed wont really matter that much overall, get a good cooler and it will boost just fine 🙂  If you are waiting that long then maybe something better has come out within next year from team blue and maybe team red as well.

8 minutes ago, Krai1234 said:

I'm looking to upgrade my Ryzen 9 5950x either later this year or next year, and I'm reviewing options right now

I will want to point out that a lot can change in 3-6 months in the CPU space, so the option that makes sense today probably won't make sense by the time you're ready to buy. 

As for the 7950X3D vs. 7950X, realistically you can't go wrong with either, I'd more base it on the price difference and how much you're willing to put up with scheduling issues. You outlined pretty much everything different about them, just look at the games you play, whether your GPU is fast enough to justify the extra CPU performance, and go from there. I'd probably be recommending the 7950X more than the 7950X3D since it's cheaper and the software is much more consistent, but this is more personal preference than anything and odds are this thread is going to be very split on this. 

43 minutes ago, Krai1234 said:

Any thoughts? 

I understand your situation but I would really like to know what you are using for your motherboard.

13 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

I understand your situation but I would really like to know what you are using for your motherboard.

My current motherboard is an Asrock Steel Legend B550m, while the motherboard that I plan to buy, if I go for AM5, would be an Asrock X670E Steel Legend motherboard.

Sounds like a good plan.  I would like to upgrade my motherboard too but right now my wife would kill me if I brought up the idea.  Money is tight right now so only one thing at a time.  Maybe try to swing for the motherboard and then the cpu sometime down the road.  That could work to maybe, just have to wait and see how things go for the rest of the summer.

Take care and good luck.

Do you rely on your computer for income with things such as Blender and rendering?? 

If so, I'd highly recommend going with the 7950X over the 7950X3D.

IIRC, chipset drivers include the correct scheduling drivers to help with scheduling for the 7950X3D, but it's implementation is not completely ironed out to work well. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

IIRC, chipset drivers include the correct scheduling drivers to help with scheduling for the 7950X3D, but it's implementation is not completely ironed out to work well. 

And even then its not perfect replacement for hardware solution like Intel in my opinion. I would go for 7950X or 13700 instead of the 7950X3D.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

5 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Do you rely on your computer for income with things such as Blender and rendering?? 

If so, I'd highly recommend going with the 7950X over the 7950X3D.

Hi thanks for the recommendation, and No I don't rely on my computer for income.

To give some insight, I use my computer for gaming and learning/studying blender and 3d modeling. Example: making 3d models of items/landscapes and making short 10-15 second animations. Rendering still images/scenes in 2k resolution, etc. 

Time in my waking hours is in short supply in my life right now, so speed of rendering/processing is fairly important on my list of requirements so that I dont spend most of the limited time that i have to use my computer just waiting for something to render and check that everything looks fine or having to tweak or make changes and then wait again for it render and check again.

Hence me going fairly high-end in terms of processing/rendering power even if the things that I do aren't extremely intense.

Right now I'm just looking at my options for an upgrade later down the line.