ATX 12VO Dead?

salair54

I'm looking to start a company making power supplies (no one makes them in my country yet), and from what I've heard, ATX 12VO power supplies are simpler engineering-wise (they only have one voltage output; the conversion is being done on the motherboard, so I won't have to bother with it). Therefore I am very much looking forward to seeing 12VO become the standard in PSUs and motherboards. But I haven't heard much about it since LTT released their video on it almost 3 years ago. Also, I haven't seen a single 12VO power supply or motherboard in retail where I live (even before the sanctions hit).

Is 12VO dead, or am I not looking hard enough? Maybe I don't know something that's already old news?

I'm aware that 12VO is not backwards compatible with regular ATX (or vice-versa), thanks for mentioning.

Edited by salair54
Yes, 12VO is not compatible with ATX. I know.

6 minutes ago, salair54 said:

I'm looking to start a company making power supplies (no one makes them in my country yet), and from what I've heard, ATX 12VO power supplies are simpler engineering-wise (they only have one voltage output; the conversion is being done on the motherboard, so I won't have to bother with it). Therefore I am very much looking forward to seeing 12VO become the standard in PSUs and motherboards. But I haven't heard much about it since LTT released their video on it almost 3 years ago. Also, I haven't seen a single 12VO power supply or motherboard in retail where I live (even before the sanctions hit).

Is 12VO dead, or am I not looking hard enough? Maybe I don't know something that's already old news?

Its pretty much an California thing, since they are a state that has a lot of odd requirements for power and efficiency and the 12VO was  one of the ways they would be able to get around that. Since that law was put into effect for Pre-built computers being shipped and sold. Other countries mostly dont care as long as it follows their general standards for safety and such. 

Generally making a PSU is just not a good money maker outside of the countries that make them enmasse, there is a reason why nobody makes them in your country, or most other countries. They are very expensive, and with how China, Taiwan and such have pretty much streamlined their process for making them. Its going to be VERY hard for you to even make them cost competitive in the ballpark, let alone getting the components and such to make them in house. 

"ATX 12VO" like products are basically only in OEM products.

Breaking backwards compatibility and taking additional motherboard space, makes no sense for DIY when everything is designed around more specific sizes.

6 minutes ago, salair54 said:

Is 12VO dead

On consumer platforms, yes.

It increases the mobo cost while also creating a hard problem where it's not backwards compatible in any means, so you can't use a regular atx mobo with a 12vo PSU, nor a 12vo mobo with a regular PSU.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

9 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Generally making a PSU is just not a good money maker outside of the countries that make them enmasse, there is a reason why nobody makes them in your country, or most other countries. They are very expensive, and with how China, Taiwan and such have pretty much streamlined their process for making them. Its going to be VERY hard for you to even make them cost competitive in the ballpark, let alone getting the components and such to make them in house. 

Being cost-competitive is not really something I care about, even though I believe competing with imported solutions is possible — I can sell my products to the government or partner up with a system integrator (also oftentimes B2G); otherwise it's an idealistic goal that I have — contribute to the Russian computer industry. Even if it's gonna be more expensive than the foreign competition, it will still find buyers (and I'm not interested in cutting corners to make the product cheaper).

Components are not a problem — my country still makes capacitors, MOVs, rectifiers and whatnot.

Still, thank you for the advice. I need all the opinions there are before I make any actual decisions.