Networking issues with the ASUS XG-C100C

Greetings,

I hope someone can assist me with an ongoing network issue. I own the ASUS XG-C100C NIC and it is installed on an MSI X570-A Pro Motherboard (CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X). I am running Windows 11 22H2 (Build 22621.1702).

Unfortunately, I am only able to achieve speeds of up to 4491.86 Mbps down and 1691.08 Mbps up. I have a 10 Gbit/s FTTH connection at home. My ISP sent one of their technicians to my apartment, and he conducted measurements using my Cat6 cable, which is directly connected to the 10 Gbit/s port of the router/fiber box. He was able to achieve up- and download speeds of around 8 Gbit/s.

To troubleshoot the issue, I tested the same NIC using Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.1 by creating a bootable USB. Surprisingly, I received significantly higher download and upload speeds - almost 6 Gbit/s down and 3 Gbit/s up.

Additionally, I tested another NIC (OWC - the same one that Linus bought for his home system, I believe?) on my system and obtained very similar results.

I could really use some advice on how to fix this issue... thx 🙂

How exactly are you testing the bandwith? And how was the technician doing it?

Greetings Senzelian,

Thank you for your fast reply. The technician utilized an external NIC called a Solo 10G (Thunderbold 3 to 10GBASE-T / NBASE-T Adapter) while performing certain diagnostics on his iPad while being connected to my Fiber Box. The technician also performed an internal speedtest in which he connected to their own servers. In addition, he also performed multiple speedtests using speedtest.net and https://fast.com/de/.

I personally check my bandwith by using a combination of the following 2 sites: speedtest. net and https://speed.cloudflare.com/ (quite nice as it has latency- and packet loss measurements build into it).

I also performed the following cmd commands but sadly without any results:
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipfonfig /registerdns
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh winsock reset

Kind regards 🙂

Internet speedtests aren't exactly helpful when it comes to such high speeds. Often their servers aren't able to keep up with your internet connection or the route from your ISP to their ISP isn't sufficient enough to handle such speeds.

The only way to determine whether you're getting the full speed is to either stress test the connection with multiple clients or with the help of the ISP, but as you mentioned the ISP technician can't achieve the claimed speeds with their personalized testing methods, which means you're simply not getting what you payed for.

From what I gather you're in Germany (the ".com/de/" URL gave that away) and IIRC since the beginning of this year for all new contracts in the EU it's illegal to not at least achieve 95% of the claimed speeds. You could be eligible for a compensation from your ISP.

btw. is this a private or business contract and who's your ISP?

To be fair, the contract of the ISP did mention "Up to 10 gbps"^^. Having said that, as you can see from the attached picture (1 of many measurements taken by the technician), the technician did achieve significantly higher speeds with his Solo 10G and iPad combination. I am really starting to wonder if there might be some sort of windows limitation that is occuring? Maybe something in the windows registry? Or in the configuration file of the NIC?

On a side note, it will take Germany an additional 100 years to achieve our speeds - sad fact^^ Sorry Germany 😞. But they really have a bureaucratic nightmare over there - especially with anything that is related to infrastructure. Beautiful country though with lovely people.

If you have to know, I am located in Switzerland - it really is a big plus sign 😉 ^^. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Switzerland
And yes, it is a private connection - here is a link to my ISP: https://www.salt.ch/en (Yes, even in english^^).

20230510_173206.jpg

13 minutes ago, Darmodret said:

On a side note, it will take Germany an additional 100 years to achieve our speeds - sad fact^^ Sorry Germany 😞. But they really have a bureaucratic nightmare over there - especially with anything that is related to infrastructure. Beautiful country though with lovely people.

Yeah of course. Germany is a giant clusterfuck when it comes to internet infrastructure.

14 minutes ago, Darmodret said:

To be fair, the contract of the ISP did mention "Up to 10 gbps"^^.

I'd call that cheating. Wouldn't fly anymore under EU law. But then again, you're not in the EU.

15 minutes ago, Darmodret said:

Having said that, as you can see from the attached picture (1 of many measurements taken by the technician), the technician did achieve significantly higher speeds with his Solo 10G and iPad combination

I can't believe a technician is using an iPad, a network adapter and a speedtest to measure the throughput of a connection. Speedtests are not a good measurement of bandwith, as they are always bottlenecked. And with speeds like that I can assure you that the bottleneck is very likely not on your end.

I did mention above that he used 1 internal speedtest and 2 external ones. All had similar speeds of around 7 - 8 gbps.
Sadly it is most definitely on my end. I know that because I also tested my system with a secondary NIC - see attached picture. All results were very similar to the results that were taken with the ASUS NIC. In addition, both NICs use different chips and controllers.

20230711_135915.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I could still use some help or ideas to fix this issue^^