Is this CPU upgrade possible?

Hi, all

I have an old ASUS X54H (on the back it says the model is X54H and the motherboard is K54HR, but on the actual MB it is written K54LY rev 2.1). A long time ago I successfully upgraded its CPU from Pentium B970 to i7-2620M (both are Sandy Bridge processors with a TDP of 35W), thinking it is the second best option for my motherboard. Lately, I have been looking for an even faster CPU - a quad core one. After a long research I have found the Intel Core i7-3632QM CPU (which is an Ivy Bridge CPU with a TDP of 35W as well). I am not a 100% sure about its socket because on the Intel website it says it is the BGA1224 but on many other websites it is shown precisely as the rPGA988B (my CPU is removable btw). For now let's say it is going to fit. My main concern about this upgrade is that the chipset - HM65 - doesn't appear to support this processor, or at least it is not in the compatible products section on the Intel's website. The second concern that I have is the BIOS compatibility. Currently I have the BIOS 204 but on the ASUS website for the K54LY i see version 208 available which has a description saying "...5.Update CPU microcode". I don't know what that means but I hope it translates as "We added more supported CPUs" 😄.

Question 1: Do you think the upgrade is going to be successful or are you 100% sure it is going to fail 😢

Question 2: What is the worst that could happen if it turns out the CPU is not be compatible? I am afraid of damaging the motherboard. Anything else (not booting, garbage on the screen, etc.) is acceptable since I could just put back the 2620M and get back on track.

Question 3: There are other i7 quad core CPUs compatible with the HM65 chipset. However, all of them have a TDP of 45W. If I fit one of those will this motherboard be able to feed the CPU with enough power (for now I am not concerned with overheating)? Is it going to get damaged? Will a more powerful AC adapter be required - current one is 19V/3.95A/75WThis guy "successfully" upgraded to a 45W CPU. He did have some problems but I think they weren't CPU related.

Excuse the long novel I ended up writing but I wanted to provide as many details as possible. Thanks to all who read and replied 🙂.

I highly doubt it'd damage the motherboard. Would be worth giving it a go, by now those CPUs should be almost free.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Brief look tells me different generation leaps and so different slot types,

1) no. it won't fit in the slot

2) if you force it in something, usually pins, will break or bend. (Intel really wants you to buy new computers you know :))

3) The PSU might be able to cope with the extra power demand, if it does will your current CPU cooling method cope with the new extra heat? Too hot might make the cpu shut down before it burns out.

I think you were fortunate to upgrade as much as you have, laptops I've owned all had soldered in cpus and meant to be replaced after a few years.

My conclusion is it really isn't worth the effort to upgrade as you might end up saving money by buying a not quite as old second hand laptop instead. It is a 2012 laptop after all and the overall tech has moved on a fair bit.