Am I falling foul of a myth...?

As I feel this is more about CPU's, I chose to post it here - but if Moderators see different, please move it to Cooling; no way I'm posting it there as well, to incur their wrath.

I currently use a Ryzen 7 series CPU and would like to know if how I perceive cooling these units is correct; "Liquid cooling is best reserved for only the highest end CPU's".

I fully accept that my Dark Rock 4 Pro is a more than capable unit, but the appeal of an AiO (or even a closed loop) has been something that's nibbled at my curiosity for a few years... what say the wiser amongst you, to this?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

5 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

I currently use a Ryzen 7 series CPU

which one specifically? 5700x? 5800x? 5800X3D? 3800x?

5 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

I fully accept that my Dark Rock 4 Pro is a more than capable unit, but the appeal of an AiO (or even a closed loop) has been something that's nibbled at my curiosity for a few years... what say the wiser amongst you, to this?

this should be more than fine for any of those cpus. But if you really want to go with an aio for a cheap price I would recommend arctic's 280 rad or deepcools lt520 rad for price

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Liquid cooling is like air cooling. You have a whole range of offerings that cover a variety of use cases, so no it isn't reserved for high end.

For example, I recently transplanted a system into a micro-ATX cube. I always had problems with cooling in that case, as it was height restrictive and you simply can't put a big air cooler in it. In the latest build I went for a 120mm AIO. The performance of it isn't great, but it compares well to the air coolers I could fit.

Personally I don't like running liquid nowadays. AIOs aren't bad but can fail after some years. Custom loops will be much higher cost and may require more maintenance. If space doesn't constrain, I'd rather just throw on a Noctua D15 and I'm done. The last bigger AIO I had was a CoolerMaster 240mm, and depending on the CPU it actually performed a little better than the D15, presuming because of contact area and on air, how the heatpipes were distributed. Trading off that you have pump vibration added into the mix, and the supplied fans were pretty noisy.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Do it if you want but just know there are drawbacks like higher up front cost and that AIOs dont last as long so you will need a new cooler in 3-5 years. Custom is a hobby of its own in terms of consumer PCs. 

The only reason its considered a higher-end thing is only because those extra 20-50 dollars spent on an AIO could have been spent on a better CPU. Not because you cant use it on lower-end parts. But honestly, who cares, have fun with it. 

Having used AIOs, and before that higher end air coolers, I can attest to one critical fact: a low end, or even low mid-end AIO is outclassed by high end air coolers. Don’t skimp is you’re worried about thermals.

Regarding reliability: I’ve only had one AIO fail in 10 years. That’s totally anecdotal, but between modern CPU thermal protection systems and the fact that even a busted AIO still has large thermal mass, you’re not going to break anything. I’ve never had an AIO leak.

I know 120mm AIOs can fill a niche when you’ve got an especially space-constrained build, but I usually recommend 280mm+ or 360+ if you’re in the top end market of CPUs.

The real issue with AIOs is that you need to replace it every ~ 3 years and there's no benefit otherwise than "it looks cool" i don't think so, i think its ugly.

same for "closed loop" obviously,  still ugly ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

You just need a modern heatsink. I can run my 5600X, 5900X, and 5600X semi passively at various tunes, no fan needed on the heatsinks. But to be fair, I am in an airflow orientated chassis. But that chassis can be in its stock configuration, 2 fans.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

The real issue with AIOs is that you need to replace it every ~ 3 years and there's no benefit otherwise than "it looks cool" i don't think so, i think its ugly.

Where are you getting the three years number from?

Also, there are no equivalent air coolers to a 420mm AIO

Just now, Echothedolpin said:

Where are you getting the three years number from?

On a high wattage CPU that does see a lot of work, you would be lucky to get 3  years out of it.

9 minutes ago, freeagent said:

On a high wattage CPU that does see a lot of work, you would be lucky to get 3  years out of it.

An AIO should be running at a set speed, that will cause it to last longer.

Wattge/heat shouldn’t matter unless you’re running a really cheap pump/small rad. 

Also, installing it incorrect can cause much higher wear on the pump, that’s almost exclusively where I’ve seen AIOs fail (including my own personal case.)

Not trying to convince you otherwise, but I’d love to see some data. I’ll offer the fact that Arctic Freezer offers a 6 year warranty on their AIOs as proof that at least one manufacturer expects at least double that on their own systems.

Just now, Echothedolpin said:

An AIO should be running at a set speed, that will cause it to last longer.

Wattge/heat shouldn’t matter unless you’re running a really cheap pump/small rad. 

Also, installing it incorrect can cause much higher wear on the pump, that’s almost exclusively where I’ve seen AIOs fail (including my own personal case.)

Not trying to convince you otherwise, but I’d love to see some data. I’ll offer the fact that Arctic Freezer offers a 6 year warranty on their AIOs as proof that at least one manufacturer expects at least double that on their own systems.

Just speaking from experience, that's all.

I was folding on my old X5690 @ ~300w and I got about 14 good months out of it before performance started to degrade. After two years I was already 200-300MHz lower than what I was able to run before. At year 3 I was at stock clocks. At year 4 it could not cool my brothers stock 7700K. It feels mighty light right now.

On 7/9/2023 at 11:58 AM, filpo said:

which one specifically? 5700x? 5800x? 5800X3D? 3800x?

5800X

Part of the reason for asking is that - aside from simply getting my a$$ in gear - I'm going to transplant my existing rig from a Meshify C to a Ceres 500 "exclusively" for the reason that the power button is on the side of the case (Ceres 500) & not the top (Meshify C), where my cats can (potentially) stand on the power button & kill my PC session...!  🤬🤬
Yes, the Ceres comes with a load of fans, but I'm just wondering if the appeal of liquid cooling is any more than a 'devil on my shoulder' wanting me to spend unnecessary money...?  It seems it could be & thank you to those who seem to be echoing this thinking.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

2 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Yes, the Ceres comes with a load of fans, but I'm just wondering if the appeal of liquid cooling is any more than a 'devil on my shoulder' wanting me to spend unnecessary money...?  It seems it could be & thank you to those who seem to be echoing this thinking.

Keep the dark rock pro 4. It'll still do a good job of cooling it. I wouldn't spend the extra money on the AIO

Current parts list

On 7/9/2023 at 3:27 PM, Mark Kaine said:

As far as aesthetics go, I've seen some rather tastefully 'designed' closed loops & even the RGB on some AiO's can be 'tamed', if it needs to be.
I'm rather a minimalist when it comes to cosmetic lighting, so that isn't a major factor in this specific discussion... RGB can even be switched off, so...
YES... I know the supplied fans with the Ceres 500 are RGB, but they'll get put on a VERY tight leash - trust me.

WHY NOT...?!

8 minutes ago, filpo said:

Keep the dark rock pro 4. It'll still do a good job of cooling it. I wouldn't spend the extra money on the AIO

I'm more than happy to do so & the whole rig will be as thoroughly dusted/cleaned as I can be bothered to muster before being reinstalled, to assist with thermals.

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

I'm more than happy to do so & the whole rig will be as thoroughly dusted/cleaned as I can be bothered to muster before being reinstalled, to assist with thermals.

If you do want to I would only do it if your case has a glass panel as it's also for looks (get something like the lt520)

Current parts list

Apologies in advance if I don't mark anyone as the solution; I don't see this as the kind of thread that seeks a definitve 'solution', it was more looking to add a pinch of sanity to a thought exercise.

WHY NOT...?!

1 minute ago, filpo said:

If you do want to I would only do it if your case has a glass panel as it's also for looks (get something like the lt520)

My Meshify C is the 'tinted glass' variant; the Ceres 500 has a glass panel.

WHY NOT...?!

9 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

As far as aesthetics go, I've seen some rather tastefully 'designed' closed loops & even the RGB on some AiO's can be 'tamed', if it needs to be.
I'm rather a minimalist when it comes to cosmetic lighting, so that isn't a major factor in this specific discussion... RGB can even be switched off, so...
YES... I know the supplied fans with the Ceres 500 are RGB, but they'll get put on a VERY tight leash - trust me.

im not saying they cant look nice, just that most dont, they either look tacky or cringe or both in most cases... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 7/9/2023 at 6:52 AM, Eighjan said:

"Liquid cooling is best reserved for only the highest end CPU's".

Yes, and this is mainly because it's more expensive on average (and they have a shorter lifespan).  Liquid cooling a mid-range CPU doesn't make sense.

Spending money on cooling has diminished returns.

You'd get more performance out of a $300 CPU with a $50 air cooler, than a $200 CPU with $100-150+ liquid cooling.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage