Gaming cpu can't decide for rtx 4070

5 minutes ago, apoKhallipsa said:

Im trying to decide between 

AMD Ryzen 5 7600 and 

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X

For gaming in 4k

How about the middleground, the 7700 non X?  I got a 7700x with my 4080 and its absolutely fantastic!  No issues, super fast and gives my 4080 the power it needs 🙂

6 minutes ago, apoKhallipsa said:

AMD Ryzen 5 7600 and 

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X

For gaming in 4k

Either or, your GPU is going to be your bottleneck LONG BEFORE the CPU is going to be bottlenecked. Just having as much core as a game scales when you built it (so currently 6 Cores 12 Threads) is good enough.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

33 minutes ago, apoKhallipsa said:

For gaming in 4k

Im pretty sure a 12gb card like the 4070 will struggle at 4k so consider upgrading to a 4080 or a used 3090

I would choose the 7700 non x since you can use the included cooler and the wraith prism is a very capable stock cooler unlike the dinky wraith stealth, otherwise a 7600(x) with a 20$ tower ontop

1 hour ago, apoKhallipsa said:

AMD Ryzen 5 7600 and 

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X

For gaming in 4k

I'd avoid 6 cores for a new build now unless it is severely budget constrained. 

24 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Im pretty sure a 12gb card like the 4070 will struggle at 4k so consider upgrading to a 4080 or a used 3090

The 4070 is comparable to higher end last gen. For most games it'll do 4k fine at appropriate settings. When pushed it is more of a horsepower limit than VRAM limit.

24 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I would choose the 7700 non x since you can use the included cooler and the wraith prism is a very capable stock cooler unlike the dinky wraith stealth, otherwise a 7600(x) with a 20$ tower ontop

IMO it is worth spending more on a decent cooler than any of the AMD stock ones unless you don't care about noise at all.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

while its true there are a handful of games that will want to use more Vram, the majority will not...

Also you can just run at low settings,  most pc games nowadays will still look good... and stuff like "ray tracing" is a useless gimmick (99%) to upsell more expensive gpus simply (i mean, its A not really raytracing the game, just some effects and B it doesn't even look good most of the time, quite the opposite)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

11 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

while its true there are a handful of games that will want to use more Vram, the majority will not...

Also you can just run at low settings,  most pc games nowadays will still look good... and stuff like "ray tracing" is a useless gimmick (99%) to upsell more expensive gpus simply (i mean, its A not really raytracing the game, just some effects and B it doesn't even look good most of the time, quite the opposite)

Not talking about rt just straight up vram limits

why would you run at a higher resolution only to have shittier graphics? Makes no sense and youd be better off at 1440p for a 12gb card

if you want a decent experience at 4k its 16gb of vram and up, 12gb will simply not cut it and thats fine for 1440p

5 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Not talking about rt just straight up vram limits

why would you run at a higher resolution only to have shittier graphics? Makes no sense and youd be better off at 1440p for a 12gb card

if you want a decent experience at 4k its 16gb of vram and up, 12gb will simply not cut it and thats fine for 1440p

most games dont use that much vram though,  that's my point.  and those that do you can just lower settings, it'll still look good!

tldr: i agree its not "ideal" but it'll work (for 99% of games)

i don't even see a diff between max and low except at low it'll run at much higher fps obviously,  and that *is* true for the majority of games that people play...

even something like CP will run just not max settings 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, porina said:

The 4070 is comparable to higher end last gen. For most games it'll do 4k fine at appropriate settings. When pushed it is more of a horsepower limit than VRAM limit.

i mean isnt the point of 4k to have sharper visuals or something?

Seems kinda odd that youd want sharper visuals on muddy low graphics

Forgot that the 4070 is not that powerful of a gpu, that would be the vramless ti variant thats as powerful as a 3090 but kneecapped with 12gb of vram

1 hour ago, porina said:

IMO it is worth spending more on a decent cooler than any of the AMD stock ones unless you don't care about noise at all.

Is the wraith prism really that noisy?

Seems like a pretty beefy stock cooler so if its really just the fan thats noisy i guess you could just swap it out of a diff less noisy one

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

most games dont use that much vram though,  that's my point.  and those that do you can just lower settings, it'll still look good!

ill problably have to look at comparisons or just build a pc and see for myself ig

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

ill problably have to look at comparisons or just build a pc and see for myself ig

this really depends on the games, you could probably pick ~10 games where 12gig is literally not enough easily... but again,  for the majority of (popular and unpopular) titles it'll do just fine 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, apoKhallipsa said:

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X

this, its simply the more future proof platform

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

i mean isnt the point of 4k to have sharper visuals or something?

Seems kinda odd that youd want sharper visuals on muddy low graphics

Just because you drive 4k doesn't mean it has to be a high end output, unless you back it up with high end spending. As a specific example, I bought a 3070 last gen replacing a 2080 Ti to use with a 4k TV. I wanted a 3080, but it didn't happen. For those games that supported upscaling, it was fine and looked great. Some older games that didn't support upscaling struggled. It is quite an experience difference even with lower settings on a large TV compared to high settings on a much smaller monitor.

Forgot that the 4070 is not that powerful of a gpu, that would be the vramless ti variant thats as powerful as a 3090 but kneecapped with 12gb of vram

I  daily drive a 4070. It's closer to a 3080 level. For general gaming 12GB VRAM is not a problem. The odd title might push it if you select excessive settings, and in that rare case dropping slightly doesn't break the game. I have not encountered this situation in practice.

Is the wraith prism really that noisy?

It'll work, and it comes down to user expectations and tolerance. I think it is a cosmetic upgrade on a much older design. You have a single smaller fan at high rpm if you want any airflow through it. Something like an Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo is pretty cheap and much cooler and quieter.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Just because you drive 4k doesn't mean it has to be a high end output, unless you back it up with high end spending. As a specific example, I bought a 3070 last gen replacing a 2080 Ti to use with a 4k TV. I wanted a 3080, but it didn't happen. For those games that supported upscaling, it was fine and looked great. Some older games that didn't support upscaling struggled. It is quite an experience difference even with lower settings on a large TV compared to high settings on a much smaller monitor.

aand i have completely forgotten that fsr/dlss existed

Now the 4070 dont look that stupid of a card for 4k

3 minutes ago, porina said:

Something like an Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo is pretty cheap and much cooler and quieter.

i rarely ever see these anymore and when i do they tend to be abit overpriced, but 25$ ish gets you an assassin king / burst assassin which should be quite abit better

4 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

i rarely ever see these anymore and when i do they tend to be abit overpriced, but 25$ ish gets you an assassin king / burst assassin which should be quite abit better

I just looked at current pricing where I am. These are selling about +30% to +50% more (depending on fan colour) than when I last got two about 4 years ago. I've not looked at newer budget coolers as I've not done a budget build since then. I'd still look for a tower cooler with bigger fans to replace the stock AMD coolers.

12 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

That’s a huge price jump. 7900xt/4070ti would be better for 4k for the price, the 4080 is 1100$

7 hours ago, PiggyInAMinecart123 said:

That’s a huge price jump. 7900xt/4070ti would be better for 4k for the price, the 4080 is 1100$

Used 3090 also exist and the gpu is on par with the 4070ti except it isnt vramless

7900xt also seems like a good choice but i wonder if its worth it over a new 6900/6950xt aside from just the extra vram? Used 6900xt will obviously be better price/performance depending on the discount you can get with buying used

9 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Used 3090 also exist and the gpu is on par with the 4070ti except it isnt vramless

7900xt also seems like a good choice but i wonder if its worth it over a new 6900/6950xt aside from just the extra vram? Used 6900xt will obviously be better price/performance depending on the discount you can get with buying used

Yeah, I was basically just saying that a 4080 is in a completely different price range.

10 hours ago, PiggyInAMinecart123 said:

Yeah, I was basically just saying that a 4080 is in a completely different price range.

4080 is a double price than 4070 sadly 

Amd Ryzen 5 5600 Zen 3 OC 4.6Ghz 

RTX 3070 gaming gigabyte 

32GB patriot 3600 MHz 

Casual gamer since dune 2 and wolf 3d and dukem nukem 3d

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/apokhallipsa/saved/j4rn23