worth going back to windows 10?

avidgamer121

so about 1 year ago i upgraded to windows 11, haven't really liked it much.

With a modest rig like mine i hardly see any advantages in windows 11 especially with features like efficiency cores and stuff, i liked the simpler way of things in windows 10 but 11 seems a bit complicated with things like double context menu and stuff.

Though, my hardware is capable of running w11 but i wonder my pc can utilize any of those new features considering i have 3 gen old i3 and ancient 1050 ti.

Last question, will i see any improvement in performance or less resource usage in windows 10 compared to 11?

17 minutes ago, xdagamer said:

With a modest rig like mine i hardly see any advantages in windows 11 especially with features like efficiency cores and stuff, i liked the simpler way of things in windows 10 but 11 seems a bit complicated with things like double context menu and stuff.

Though, my hardware is capable of running w11 but i wonder my pc can utilize any of those new features considering i have 3 gen old i3 and ancient 1050 ti.

Last question, will i see any improvement in performance or less resource usage in windows 10 compared to 11?

Things like the double context menu can be changed back to the old, original menu (would have to google how to do that one, I don't remember how).

If you have an old i3 then Windows 10 should work fine, I would imagine. That said, with a system like that installing a Linux distribution such as Zorin OS would be my recommendation. Linux in general is so much less demanding of resources than Windows is, and it can really breathe life into your hardware. I'd recommend checking out videos on Zorin OS, and the basics of how to use linux. Zorin OS is the one I consider the best alternative for those that are coming to Linux from Windows, with it guiding new users pretty damn well. And if you're looking to play games on it, all you need to do is install wine, winetricks, and then steam. As far as compatibility goes with Steam games, you'd just need to go to the settings, compatibility, then enable steam play for supported titles, and steam play for all other titles.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

1 minute ago, Inception9269 said:

Things like the double context menu can be changed back to the old, original menu (would have to google how to do that one, I don't remember how).

If you have an old i3 then Windows 10 should work fine, I would imagine. That said, with a system like that installing a Linux distribution such as Zorin OS would be my recommendation. Linux in general is so much less demanding of resources than Windows is, and it can really breathe life into your hardware. I'd recommend checking out videos on Zorin OS, and the basics of how to use linux. Zorin OS is the one I consider the best alternative for those that are coming to Linux from Windows, with it guiding new users pretty damn well. And if you're looking to play games on it, all you need to do is install wine, winetricks, and then steam. As far as compatibility goes with Steam games, you'd just need to go to the settings, compatibility, then enable steam play for supported titles, and steam play for all other titles.

Side note on Zorin, my boot sector got completely effed by that OS. I have no idea why and haven't been able to find anyone else with the same scenario, but no matter how many times I installed it and reinstalled it, with or without a dual-booting W10 alongside it, that always happened. Sucks because I've only heard good things about it, but I'm happy enough with Mint Cinnamon on the laptop I use Linux for that I just haven't bothered with it again.

@xdagamer, you would see no ill effects from going back to 10. I still greatly prefer it to 11. The only system I have 11 installed on is the mini PC I got late last year that came with W11 preinstalled.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

In my mind, there's no reason to upgrade to Windows 11 from Windows 10 unless you're running a 13th gen Intel CPU. The task scheduler in Windows 10 doesn't yet know how to handle the P and E cores properly, so some performance is lost running 13th gen on Windows 10.

Personally, I plan to run Windows 10 as long as I can, just like I did with Windows 7(forever in our hearts).

I'm also never an early adopter of operating systems, I like to give them a few years to iron out the bugs.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

29 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Side note on Zorin, my boot sector got completely effed by that OS. I have no idea why and haven't been able to find anyone else with the same scenario, but no matter how many times I installed it and reinstalled it, with or without a dual-booting W10 alongside it, that always happened. Sucks because I've only heard good things about it, but I'm happy enough with Mint Cinnamon on the laptop I use Linux for that I just haven't bothered with it again.

@xdagamer, you would see no ill effects from going back to 10. I still greatly prefer it to 11. The only system I have 11 installed on is the mini PC I got late last year that came with W11 preinstalled.

I like Zorin OS, but it isn't an OS that I'd use on a more modern system, since Ubuntu/Debian based distributions aren't particularly great for newer hardware. Zorin OS works perfectly fine for a non-gaming laptop of mine (it running a 10th gen i3 I think), but I tried installing it on one of my desktops, and I ran into some technical problems that prompted me to just replace it with Fedora. Fedora I view as the best middle route for those that want stability while being able to use newer hardware. The main thing about Fedora though is I don't consider it to be a distro that's friendly at all to linux newcomers; especially those that are using AMD GPUs, since now you have to also install codecs to properly utilize your hardware, thanks to Red Hat gutting that functionality.

@xdagamer There's aren't exactly official or legitimate, but I'd recommend checking out custom Windows isos such as tiny10 or tiny11 as alternatives to the Microsoft official isos. I'm not sure I'm allowed to promote those ones or not, but considering LTT has made a video promoting AtlasOS, I see why not. Especially considering unlike AtlasOS, other iso's like tiny10/11 are actually safe. (With that video Linus did on AtlasOS being without a doubt the worst video I've ever seen him put out, with it having the worst tech advice I've ever seen, with AtlasOS being a security nightmare, with him simply skimming over those details, and just showing a list of problems that you gotta pause to actually read.

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

1 hour ago, xdagamer said:

Based on the specs you shared Im guessing its "Unsupported" hardware. Meaning you can make it work, but officially in Microsoft's eyes the hardware is not supported, Windows is not tested on that hardware and at any time something could break or you might lose support for things. 

Personally Id just downgrade to Windows 10. Its been out for a while, it should be well polished and will work fine until 2025. After that you will either have to use an unsupported OS or switch to some kind of Linux distro. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

12 minutes ago, Inception9269 said:

There's aren't exactly official or legitimate, but I'd recommend checking out custom Windows isos such as tiny10 or tiny11 as alternatives to the Microsoft official isos. I'm not sure I'm allowed to promote those ones or not, but considering LTT has made a video promoting AtlasOS, I see why not. Especially considering unlike AtlasOS, other iso's like tiny10/11 are actually safe. (With that video Linus did on AtlasOS being without a doubt the worst video I've ever seen him put out, with it having the worst tech advice I've ever seen, with AtlasOS being a security nightmare, with him simply skimming over those details, and just showing a list of problems that you gotta pause to actually read.

i am using ghost spectre's superlite version since 3 years (before windows 11 now windows 10), i think it's more popular than tiny11 or other stuff and in some ways better too.

I am not interested Linux, it's not my cup of tea.

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Based on the specs you shared Im guessing its "Unsupported" hardware. Meaning you can make it work, but officially in Microsoft's eyes the hardware is not supported, Windows is not tested on that hardware and at any time something could break or you might lose support for things. 

Personally Id just downgrade to Windows 10. Its been out for a while, it should be well polished and will work fine until 2025. After that you will either have to use an unsupported OS or switch to some kind of Linux distro. 

actually my system is an 10th gen i3 (you should have guessed it when i mentioned 3 gen old) and w11 requires coffee lake cpus which is like 2 gen old than mine. My main frustration is games these days are ridiculously unoptimized for pc but i know for that i would have to upgrade my gpu which i can't afford rn and lastly the pain of fresh windows install you have to set everything up and install stuff which itself takes 2 hour

6 minutes ago, xdagamer said:

you should have guessed it when i mentioned 3 gen old

I dont keep up on the current Intel chip generations. And most sane people would say I have a 3rd gen or a 10th gen or provide a model number of the cpu and not just say 3 gen old. Just saying.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

I dont keep up on the current Intel chip generations. And most sane people would say I have a 3rd gen or a 10th gen or provide a model number of the cpu and not just say 3 gen old. Just saying.  

ok, fair enough

28 minutes ago, xdagamer said:

i am using ghost spectre's superlite version since 3 years (before windows 11 now windows 10), i think it's more popular than tiny11 or other stuff and in some ways better too.

I am not interested Linux, it's not my cup of tea.

actually my system is an 10th gen i3 (you should have guessed it when i mentioned 3 gen old) and w11 requires coffee lake cpus which is like 2 gen old than mine. My main frustration is games these days are ridiculously unoptimized for pc but i know for that i would have to upgrade my gpu which i can't afford rn and lastly the pain of fresh windows install you have to set everything up and install stuff which itself takes 2 hour

The Ghost Spectre iso is quite literally the only reason why I even upgraded to Windows 11 earlier this year (I went to it from Linux, but after a couple months I recently went back to Linux).

With a 10th generation system, you should be perfectly fine with Windows 10. W11 came out October 2021, while 10th gen Intel came out early 2020, so it should definitely be fully supported by it.