CPU is constantly pinging 100°C

MrSimplicity
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,

10900k implies this is not a new build.  I take it it WAS at some time working fine?  I’m wondering if your pump died or flow got clogged somehow? Is one of your AIO tubes hotter than the other?  This is why I don’t use AIOs.  I suspect you will have to activate your warranty on your cooler. 

2 minutes ago, AAVVIronAlex said:

Could be that the pump is clogged, but I do not see how that will happen on an AIO. 

If you buy a new cooler buy an air cooler or make a custom water cooling loop.

I do.  It looks like a classic bad mount, but the mount hasn’t changed and you’ve got an AIO.  All it would take is for the water to stop circulating but still be there.  It’s also possible I guess for the water to still be circulating but the radiator isn’t getting any air at all.  That’s less likely though assuming you didn’t drop your sweater on top of your case or you smoke or something.  Smoking makes dust gummy.  The worst examples of clogged fans seem to be from smokers.

Per the title --- I have a 10900K and a 360mm AIO cooling it. Any game that I run that isn't minesweeper kicks my CPU to 100°C. I've reseated the cooler multiple times and even moved the radiator to the side as an intake instead of an exhaust. I also have 7 other fans in the system with 6 - intake 4 - exhaust. It's a Lian Li 011 dynamic XL for reference. At this point I'm thinking about just building a new computer entirely minus the case and GPU. Ambient temp is roughly 70°F and sometimes lower if I have my AC running. Though lower ambient temps do not help. Do I just need a new cooler? or is there a safe way to Take apart an AIO and fill it? The AIO is a Lian Li Galahad 360. Any other potential build info is in the signature.

P.S. my games still run at 100+ fps. and the core clock that it usually settles at is ~4.8-4.9

ThermalThrottle.png.e92b753f2f0fbbf6357b3bed1ec8dae2.png

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUO III 360 ARGB White Edition All-in-one AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Storage: 6 various HDDs and SSDs
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix 3090
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL 
Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 1000w
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED 49"
Keyboard: Logitech G915 
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 175

Mic: Blue Yeti

10900k implies this is not a new build.  I take it it WAS at some time working fine?  I’m wondering if your pump died or flow got clogged somehow? Is one of your AIO tubes hotter than the other?  This is why I don’t use AIOs.  I suspect you will have to activate your warranty on your cooler. 

Could be that the pump is clogged, but I do not see how that will happen on an AIO. 

I do.  It looks like a classic bad mount, but the mount hasn’t changed and you’ve got an AIO.  All it would take is for the water to stop circulating but still be there.  It’s also possible I guess for the water to still be circulating but the radiator isn’t getting any air at all.  That’s less likely though assuming you didn’t drop your sweater on top of your case or you smoke or something.  Smoking makes dust gummy.  The worst examples of clogged fans seem to be from smokers.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

10900k implies this is not a new build.  I take it it WAS at some time working fine?  I’m wondering if your pump died or flow got clogged somehow? Is one of your AIO tubes hotter than the other?

Yeah, one of the tubes is significantly hotter than the other. I don't think the pump died tho cuz the temps drop very quickly afterwards.

CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUO III 360 ARGB White Edition All-in-one AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I take it it WAS at some time working fine?

Also the be completely honest I never checked temps back when I built it so I can't actually say for certain that they haven't been like this since that day.

6 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:

Yeah, one of the tubes is significantly hotter than the other. I don't think the pump died tho cuz the temps drop very quickly afterwards.

That means your pump isn’t spinning.  Looks like activating your warranty on that AIO is in order, unless there isn’t one and you get to buy a new one.  This is why I prefer air coolers or custom loop.  Did your cpu come with a stock cooler?  You can possibly undervolt and use that till the replacement arrives.  It will be slower.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, AAVVIronAlex said:

The pump just has to stop spinning.  Then the blades themselves clog it.

That means your pump isn’t spinning.  Looks like activating your warranty on that AIO is in order, unless there isn’t one and you get to buy a new one.  This is why I prefer air coolers or custom loop.

Fair enough, that's not really an issue. question is why wouldn't my PC tell me that? it thought it was supposed to just not turn on or something. On top of which my bios still tells me the RPM of the pump.

8 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:

Also the be completely honest I never checked temps back when I built it so I can't actually say for certain that they haven't been like this since that day.

Ouch.  It might be a bad mount then.  The difference in temp between the tubes say it’s not pumping though

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The pump just has to stop spinning.  Then the blades themselves clog it.

The Author should try disassembling it, or at least try shaking it, see if it helps.

Ouch.  It might be a bad mount then.  The difference in temp between the tubes say it’s not pumping though

Ouch, poor CPU.

2 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:

Fair enough, that's not really an issue. question is why wouldn't my PC tell me that? it thought it was supposed to just not turn on or something. On top of which my bios still tells me the RPM of the pump.

Because it’s a machine not an animal?  The motor might still be spinning but the propeller broke off.

Well, it won't hurt to try honestly. I'd rather spend the ~$180 than the $1500 I would've upgrading to a new MB/CPU/Ram combo thinking that my system was just dying or something.

The Author should try disassembling it, or at least try shaking it, see if it helps.

The cold plate/pump?  If the warranty is live I’d say send it back over attempting repair yourself.  If you’re out of warranty it becomes a possibility.

1 minute ago, MrSimplicity said:

Well, it won't hurt to try honestly. I'd rather spend the ~$180 than the $1500 I would've upgrading to a new MB/CPU/Ram combo thinking that my system was just dying or something.

Me I spend $45 and go big air.  Peerless assassin 120 should be about that.  Those things last for ever.  Not as pretty of course

The cold plate/pump?  If the warranty is live I’d say send it back over attempting repair yourself.  If you’re out of warranty it becomes a possibility.

Meh, I don't deal with warranties, not on something this cheap. I mean I can also still play Diablo 4 just fine so at least there's that until my new AIO shows up.

Me I spend $45 and go big air.  Peerless assassin 120 should be about that.  Those things last for ever.  Not as pretty of course

Yeah, I mean it's an O11 Dynamic. I can't really just mess with the aesthetics like that.

28 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:

Hotter sure. But like tons hotter thats a bit odd.

Check in bios if the pump is set at like at least 80% speed (usually means 3000rpm+)

Where is the aio mounted?

Coupd we have a pic of the system?

15 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:

Fyi a arctic liquid freezer ii 360 is like 100$ and flat out better. If you like rgb just keep the lian li fans

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Coupd we have a pic of the system?

Currently have the side panel off. I can hear a slight rattling from the pump so I don't think the others are too far off. But it still cools well enough for me to play stuff without actually thermally throttling. Then the clock speeds never drop below 4.8. And of course the RGB on the top fans and the pump aren't working since Lian Li's rgb hub is actual trash along with their software. But I like how their fans connect to eachother and don't feel like spending another $250 to get different ones.

20230630_030830.thumb.jpg.b82d57a715faf27b0de4bb42560babda.jpg

32 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:

Meh, I don't deal with warranties, not on something this cheap. I mean I can also still play Diablo 4 just fine so at least there's that until my new AIO shows up.

You’ll have to take the old one out anyway.  The stock cooler on intel CPUs generally sucks but it’s probably better than what you have now.  Another option is just undervolt it till you get to an acceptable heat envelope. Probably a lot slower but that may not make much of a difference in at least some situations. 

My take is that the AIO is clogged by some gunk formed over time by chemical reaction between copper and aluminium

A LOT of AIO suffer from this in MSI and LianLI products, look at GregSalazar vids

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Just now, Bombastinator said:

You’ll have to take the old one out anyway.  The stock cooler on intel CPUs generally sucks but it’s probably better than what you have now.  Another option is just undervolt it till you get to an acceptable heat envelope. Probably a lot slower but that may not make much of a difference in at least some situations. 

Yeah, I'm looking at ordering one right now and after tonight I won't be on my PC much if at all until Monday night. I also just found one really stupid and expensive but I kind of want it ASUS ROG RYUO III 360

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

My take is that the AIO is clogged by some gunk formed over time by chemical reaction between copper and aluminium

A LOT of AIO suffer from this in MSI and LianLI products, look at GregSalazar vids

Maybe.  If it is some engineer at the company should be slapped upside the head though.  More probable is the pump blade fell off the shaft.  The head slapping still needs to occur, but it might not be the engineer that needs it.

3 minutes ago, MrSimplicity said:

Yeah, I'm looking at ordering one right now and after tonight I won't be on my PC much if at all until Monday night. I also just found one really stupid and expensive but I kind of want it ASUS ROG RYUO III 360

You can get 6 coolers for that money.  Can you even fit a 360?