Portable HDD problem... WD Passport Ultra 2TB

Go to solution Solved by Sdgrty,

I contacted WD already and their customer service and they asked me to RMA the drive for an exchange... The new drive is working after manually downloading the drivers again from their support site....

Hi guys, just bought a new portable hard disk for my laptop. To be specific I bought the Western Digital My Passport Ultra 2TB. The drive was bought at the store and not online... just in case any of you were wondering... Here's the problem, the first time i plugged it in, it worked perfectly, but as it was late at night, i unplugged it and went to sleep. Today, i plugged it in the drive spins but beeps repeatedly for about a minute or so then it gets detected in the device list but no drive lettering.. tried all the ports usb 2 and usb 3, checked all the drivers but still nothing... the only thing i get is those beeps that come from the hard drive and not the laptop and it wasn't a mechanical noise, the sound was definately electrical. Also if it helps,when i tried to repartition/ reformat the drive in disk manager, i can't do c*ap because anything i try to do basically ends up with a pop up saying that it can't do it due to a fatal hardware error... Also it does not work on the desktop... Same issues.. Anybody have any solutions or suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. sorry no screenshots or more details... currently at work on ipad mini

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, just bought a new portable hard disk for my laptop. To be specific I bought the Western Digital My Passport Ultra 2TB. The drive was bought at the store and not online... just in case any of you were wondering... Here's the problem, the first time i plugged it in, it worked perfectly, but as it was late at night, i unplugged it and went to sleep. Today, i plugged it in the drive spins but beeps repeatedly for about a minute or so then it gets detected in the device list but no drive lettering.. tried all the ports usb 2 and usb 3, checked all the drivers but still nothing... the only thing i get is those beeps that come from the hard drive and not the laptop and it wasn't a mechanical noise, the sound was definately electrical. Also if it helps,when i tried to repartition/ reformat the drive in disk manager, i can't do c*ap because anything i try to do basically ends up with a pop up saying that it can't do it due to a fatal hardware error... Also it does not work on the desktop... Same issues.. Anybody have any solutions or suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. sorry no screenshots or more details... currently at work on ipad mini

i think you just have to return to the store for an exchange

i can guess it just died

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I contacted WD already and their customer service and they asked me to RMA the drive for an exchange... The new drive is working after manually downloading the drivers again from their support site....

i will still suggest exchanging it

just for extra assurance 

don't want it to fail again when there is data in it

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I meant I sent it in for RMA and now the problem is solved when the new drive arrived... I suggenst anybody facing the same problem get an exchange

It Was DOA (dead on arrival) You Will Need To Replace It 

so please use the solved tag so we dont have to waste our time while skimming the fourm thank you