"Gaming" TV Recommendations

Cidergis
Go to solution Solved by e22big,
On 6/29/2023 at 2:57 PM, Cidergis said:

Regrettably every oled I've seen is well out of my price range. I definitely would love to have one though. I could maybe see saving a bit more and going for something close to 1000.

Thank you for your response!

I think you could try looking a little harder. C2 is famos for being insanely value, especially now, near the end of its product lifecycle. 

I've seen it going for 700 bucks regularly  - even as low as 600 in places like Best Buy. It is definitely the sweetspot price to performance TV you can get right now. I would recommend looking for a deal with OLED TV before trying anything else, there's also a B2 if C2 is still too expensive for you.

Since you are looking for a 55 inches, QN90B LCD from Samsung can also be an option. It's totally uncompetitive with OLED at smaller size but pretty good on the 55 inches and up. You trade blooming and some reduced response time with improved brightness and extended durability

Hey everyone! First time poster here so apologies in advance if I have missed any kind of forum decorum. 

As the title suggests I'm looking for a tv that is suitable for gaming but in this case I'm going for someone that hits the value proposition really well. 

So what I'm hoping for is

-4k res

-good latency (for a tv)

-100+ hz real frames

-55-70" size

-local dimming zones would be great

I think that covers the basics I can think of at the moment. I'm pretty out of the loop in tv space I got a 1080p one like 8 years ago and it's getting time. 

I payed 450$ for my tv originally hoping to get something good for a similar price ideally but if it's worth I'd be willing to go higher if it was definitely worth it. I'm likely to keep this TV for at least 8 years as well so stretching a bit to get some "future proofing"

Thank you guys so much in advance! 

Most TVs are VA and they make poor monitors. Some don’t though.  LTT did a roundup review but it’s old.  They tend to be not cheap as a result.  My memory is there is a 45” that is supposed to be OK. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Cidergis said:

Hey everyone! First time poster here so apologies in advance if I have missed any kind of forum decorum. 

As the title suggests I'm looking for a tv that is suitable for gaming but in this case I'm going for someone that hits the value proposition really well. 

So what I'm hoping for is

-4k res

-good latency (for a tv)

-100+ hz real frames

-55-70" size

-local dimming zones would be great

I think that covers the basics I can think of at the moment. I'm pretty out of the loop in tv space I got a 1080p one like 8 years ago and it's getting time. 

I payed 450$ for my tv originally hoping to get something good for a similar price ideally but if it's worth I'd be willing to go higher if it was definitely worth it. I'm likely to keep this TV for at least 8 years as well so stretching a bit to get some "future proofing"

Thank you guys so much in advance! 

get the LG C2 OLED

TCL R646 if it's not too late, otherwise try TCL R655.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

On 6/26/2023 at 11:18 PM, rotexen said:

get the LG C2 OLED

Regrettably every oled I've seen is well out of my price range. I definitely would love to have one though. I could maybe see saving a bit more and going for something close to 1000.

On 6/27/2023 at 1:13 AM, BuzzingBee said:

TCL R646 if it's not too late, otherwise try TCL R655.

It's there a crucial difference between the series 6 and 5? They both seem to have what I'm looking for but obviously the 5s are quite a bit cheaper.

Thanks for the response!

On 6/26/2023 at 10:20 PM, Bombastinator said:

Most TVs are VA and they make poor monitors. Some don’t though.  LTT did a roundup review but it’s old.  They tend to be not cheap as a result.  My memory is there is a 45” that is supposed to be OK. 

I'm pretty sure I remember that video. I think it's probably a bit out of date at this point. Tvs are moving pretty fast right now it seems! 

I'm pretty set on the 65" size which unfortunately seems to be a consistently above my price point.

Just now, Cidergis said:

I'm pretty sure I remember that video. I think it's probably a bit out of date at this point. Tvs are moving pretty fast right now it seems! 

I'm pretty set on the 65" size which unfortunately seems to be a consistently above my price point.

I do remember that price is to a degree set by size because of the way they are manufactured.   I suspect at that size unless you’re willing to spend a whale of a lot of money you’re not going to find a 65” set that works well as a monitor.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, Cidergis said:

It's there a crucial difference between the series 6 and 5? They both seem to have what I'm looking for but obviously the 5s are quite a bit cheaper.

Thanks for the response!

TCL 5 series are only 60Hz so they wouldn't fit your criteria. Also 6 series have better HDR experience. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I do remember that price is to a degree set by size because of the way they are manufactured.   I suspect at that size unless you’re willing to spend a whale of a lot of money you’re not going to find a 65” set that works well as a monitor.

I've got one for under $1000. 65", 4k, 120hz native, hdr xiaomi. Not available everywhere, but it's been great.

6 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I've got one for under $1000. 65", 4k, 120hz native, hdr xiaomi. Not available everywhere, but it's been great.

$1000 is double what my 32” cost, so it sounds like a very good deal.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

$1000 is double what my 32” cost, so it sounds like a very good deal.

It's been great so far. Only complaint is the hrd could be better, but I put that partially on windows. And I guess I could complain that it requires a beefy gpu if you want to get 4k 120, but that isn't the tv's fault 😅

There is a monitor specific forum.  I can’t remember the name, that might have more up-to-date information.  My memory is there was some association with hardware unboxed.

2 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

It's been great so far. Only complaint is the hrd could be better, but I put that partially on windows. And I guess I could complain that it requires a beefy gpu if you want to get 4k 120, but that isn't the tv's fault 😅

About the same here. 6zone edge lit (so bars)  and pretty feeble hdr.  I do think that 4k is “the way” currently.  It zips down to 1080p well and FSR/DLSS can make not 4k things 4k so even middling cards can use it.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There is a monitor specific forum.  I can’t remember the name, that might have more up-to-date information.  My memory is there was some association with hardware unboxed.

They have a Monitors Unboxed 2nd channel but afaik no forum they're part of. Most of the forum posts he mentions in his videos are from reddit.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

13 hours ago, Cidergis said:

Where are you located?  LG OLEDS have routinely been around $1k at least for 55in and under.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

On 6/27/2023 at 2:18 AM, rotexen said:

get the LG C2 OLED

I agree with this and install the LG companion app so it behaves more like a monitor. Love my OLED

On 6/29/2023 at 7:27 AM, Bombastinator said:

Interesting I might try to find that. If I do find it I'll link it here.

On 6/29/2023 at 2:31 PM, ewitte said:

Where are you located?  LG OLEDS have routinely been around $1k at least for 55in and under.

Live in Washington state.

On 6/29/2023 at 2:57 PM, Cidergis said:

I think you could try looking a little harder. C2 is famos for being insanely value, especially now, near the end of its product lifecycle. 

I've seen it going for 700 bucks regularly  - even as low as 600 in places like Best Buy. It is definitely the sweetspot price to performance TV you can get right now. I would recommend looking for a deal with OLED TV before trying anything else, there's also a B2 if C2 is still too expensive for you.

Since you are looking for a 55 inches, QN90B LCD from Samsung can also be an option. It's totally uncompetitive with OLED at smaller size but pretty good on the 55 inches and up. You trade blooming and some reduced response time with improved brightness and extended durability

I've personally owned Vizio's M-series television around 2014-17, and their P-series around 2017-2021.

I can vouch that, for the money, Vizio's television are an incredible value.

Take a look at 50" or 65" MQX series. Great picture quality and low input lag.

65" is ~$850

Here's the RTINGS review:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-quantum-x-2022

The quantity of dimming zones aren't great, but that wasn't a big consideration for you anyway.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |