Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) announces Paywall on its source-code.

Rysters Tech
39 minutes ago, geerlingguy said:

Ah, Red Hat. Rocky Linux just announced they found two ways around the code blockade which both seem to work with the subscription EULA.

Another good example of when there is a will there is a way.

Another method that we will leverage is pay-per-use public cloud instances. With this, anyone can spin up RHEL images in the cloud and thus obtain the source code for all packages and errata. This is the easiest for us to scale as we can do all of this through CI pipelines, spinning up cloud images to obtain the sources via DNF, and post to our Git repositories automatically.

I find this rather amusing and also how simple it is. If you only pay for power on hours in the cloud provider then this is a very low cost to "comply" with Red Hat.

On 6/29/2023 at 3:44 AM, jagdtigger said:

You cling to that SW like its not possible to run sites without it.....

Hell no, Cpanel is garbage, but of course you didn't read the post anyway.

Had you read it, you'd have realized I said I do all this stuff manually. Just clients want to be able to move their websites, and locking them into "you doing stuff manually" just turns that into a maintenance hell because they have no control over their site.

The point, you clearly missed was how the people who operate services based on cpanel, ran head first into a wall when CentOS was discontinued. So Cpanel wants you to use AlmaLinux, not Redhat, Not CentOS.

22 hours ago, GeoStellar said:

PERSONAL OPINION WARNING

Any linux noob should not start with any RH derrived distro, even before this.  Rh derrivitives are not friendly.  They do not hold your hand in the same way a distro like ubuntu does.

Start with ubuntu or a derivative of it (pop os is fantastic, actually have a laptop dedicated to it).

The other thing is this latest news is only going to drive more companies streight into the hands of Canonical (the makers/maintainers of Ubuntu).  If I was a betting man, I would say that in the next 10 years, you will see ubuntu outpace rhel in production installations.

Thanks, haven't tried Pop yet, but have used ubuntu before. I say noob because I haven't put the tens of thousands of hours into it like Windows, but I remember the pre-GUI days, and changing the computer's time in DOS.

Catching up with this thread ... The only thing that surprises me is that CPanel still exists. Hated that thing.

On 6/30/2023 at 10:57 AM, Kisai said:

Hell no, Cpanel is garbage, but of course you didn't read the post anyway.

I did, but every time web hosting comes up you always pull out that SW  for some reason......

On 7/2/2023 at 5:57 AM, jagdtigger said:

I did, but every time web hosting comes up you always pull out that SW  for some reason......

Yeah, you can't really escape it for a lot of low-cost web hosts. Anything below lowendbox VPS-level hosting, it kinda dominates that industry.

Update:

SUSE Preserves Choice in Enterprise Linux by Forking RHEL with a $10+ Million Investment

https://www.suse.com/news/SUSE-Preserves-Choice-in-Enterprise-Linux/

The plot thickens. 😀

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

15 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

I saw this and my immediate thought was "I guess the guys at SUSE are mad lads"  The next thing I thought was "Isn't SUSE already rock stable and a good RHEL Alternative that works in almost the exact same way?"  The third thing i thought was "Guess its time to look at SUSE"

10 million over 5 years isn't much for a business endeavor like this from a company like SUSE, I anticipate RHEL to find some way to stop them. But at the same time, Given everything SUSE has said lately I think they feel RHEL is getting weak, and they are trying to size on that opportunity and if there is anyone in the enterprise linux space who is big enough to challenge RHEL, It's probably going to be SUSE. Even before this, if you check their blog, there are tons of posts talking about how easy it is to transition from CentOS to SUSE.

39 minutes ago, GeoStellar said:

"Guess its time to look at SUSE"

Good idea, wanted to reinstall one of my laptops. Right now i lost 2 legs (ubuntu, fedora) and im not comfortable with standing on one leg (debian) only.....

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Good idea, wanted to reinstall one of my laptops. Right now i lost 2 legs (ubuntu, fedora) and im not comfortable with standing on one leg (debian) only.....

i tried building a server on debian yesterday, getting a offline iso for debian was a nightmare.

11 minutes ago, GeoStellar said:

i tried building a server on debian yesterday, getting a offline iso for debian was a nightmare.

Its a biit tucked away, more often than not netinstall is better because it always pulls the newest available SW instead of using local files which might be outdated at that point. Not that hard if you know where to look:
https://www.debian.org/distrib/

Edited by jagdtigger

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Its a biit tucked away, more often than not netinstall is better because it always pulls the newest available SW instead of using local files which might be outdated at that point. Not that hard if you know where to look:
https://www.debian.org/distrib/

yeah, i discovered that.

Also had fun hunting and solving this bug
#1035783 - raspi-firmware: unowned files after purge (policy 6.8, 10.8): /boot/firmware/fixup*.dat, /boot/firmware/start*.elf, /boot/firmware/bootcode.bin - Debian Bug report logs

The main issue I had was i wanted the KDE Version, found the download once, then couldnt find it again.

1 hour ago, GeoStellar said:

The main issue I had was i wanted the KDE Version, found the download once, then couldnt find it again.

Just use the standard console version, you can install the rest via apt.....

/EDIT
Or roll your own image:
https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPiImages#Rolling_your_own_Installation_from_another_GNU.2FLinux_machine

Edited by jagdtigger

On 7/12/2023 at 1:28 PM, jagdtigger said:

Just use the standard console version, you can install the rest via apt.....

/EDIT
Or roll your own image:
https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPiImages#Rolling_your_own_Installation_from_another_GNU.2FLinux_machine

I get that, but i wanted to throw it together quick and dirty.  Honestly, I think im probably going to be switching to SUSE.  I was planning on trying to sit down and learn RHEL derivatives, But I think SUSE Just won me over because they decided to essentially behave like bender from Futurama and say to IBM "WELL IM GOING TO BUILD MY OWN RHEL BASED OS, WITH BLACKJACK, AND H********".  

On 6/29/2023 at 5:24 PM, geerlingguy said:

Ah, Red Hat. Rocky Linux just announced they found two ways around the code blockade which both seem to work with the subscription EULA.

glad to here that for those that make use of red hat, although i personally have never used and probably never will as i have stuck to debian based distros for server and desktop use as everytime i try to move away i end up coming back to debian based stuff.