Intel Optane Disabled. But when disabled in Bios can´t boot

Sahl

Hi all

I changed my current setup with a SSD and a HDD with Intel Optane (to get another SSD m.2) and just use the HDD as a regular storage for pictures, videos, etc.

I have disabled the Intel Optane from the rapid storage software, but if I change the settings in Bios (Asus MB) and make sure that I have AHCI in Sata Mode Selection (PCH storage) I can´t boot and it will just restart after trying to boot.. Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this? If I remove the Intel Optane, I will only be able to see the new SSD and not the old HDD

Your boot manager may be located on that drive with the optane cache ?

Try selecting another boot device to see if it helps.

Also, try booting from a USB stick to see if you can detect all drives. You clearly need to see all drives in the BIOS before attempting to use them in Windows.

I never used an optane cache. Is it permanent or volatile storage ? If it is permanent storage, your boot manager can be on that optane itself.

What I'd do to fix all of this.

1. Backup all the data you want to keep.

2. Configure your BIOS so that you see all drives. I don't see why you can't keep optane active, but it is your choice.

3. Do a fresh install of Windows and update appropriate drivers as needed.

Good luck !

3 hours ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

Your boot manager may be located on that drive with the optane cache ?

Try selecting another boot device to see if it helps.

Also, try booting from a USB stick to see if you can detect all drives. You clearly need to see all drives in the BIOS before attempting to use them in Windows.

I never used an optane cache. Is it permanent or volatile storage ? If it is permanent storage, your boot manager can be on that optane itself.

What I'd do to fix all of this.

1. Backup all the data you want to keep.

2. Configure your BIOS so that you see all drives. I don't see why you can't keep optane active, but it is your choice.

3. Do a fresh install of Windows and update appropriate drivers as needed.

Good luck !

I´ve managed to find all 3 drives now (the missing HDD is here) but I still can´t disable Intel Optane in the bios (software wise was no issue)
It is important for me to say, that the intel optane Sata brick (cache) is removed, that is what caused the isssue, I needed to swap my new SSD in the slot. I reckon it might not mean anything that the Optane is active in the bios.

I used the Optane cache to enhance a HDD (basically it performed like a SSD, well a 2018 SSD that is) so I could use the drive for games and storage.

So nothing seems out of order now, outside the weird Intel Optane option being on in the bios

If you can disable the optane via software, this count as being deactivated 🙂

Can't optane be used as a stand alone SSD ? This could be a viable alternative.

Have a nice day !

2 hours ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

If you can disable the optane via software, this count as being deactivated 🙂

Can't optane be used as a stand alone SSD ? This could be a viable alternative.

Have a nice day !

It was easy enough to disable the software, the issue was that the first time I did so and afterwards removed the Optane module, I could not detect the HDD it had been linked with (a secoundary drive) When I disabled the Intel Optane in bios (there is a on off option) and this changes it all from Raid to ACHI. When I do that I can´t boot the machine up (it will restart several times while trying to start)

But I guess its not issue that it is in raid, my SSD´s are both m.2 and then the old HDD is SATA (now for pure storage of pictures etc)

This is what I had.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/99742/intel-optane-memory-series-32gb-m-2-80mm-pcie-3-0-20nm-3d-xpoint/specifications.html

Boot partition is on Optane?

Never used Optane so, not really familiar with how it "enhances" performance.

I edit my posts more often than not

3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Boot partition is on Optane?

Never used Optane so, not really familiar wit how it "enhances" performance.

Basically it is used (in my case) as a system acceleration between the slow Sata HDD and the CPU. Basically it keeps (stores) commonly used data, ready to use it.

Let me give you an example. Some games would take a long time to load on a regular HDD compared to SSD, but with Optane, the HDD will run close to or as fast as some of the (back then) SSD. The games would also have similar performance on the HDD as if I played with a SSD in terms of read/write.

The Boot partition is not optane. I had a main SSD (with OS etc and af few games) and then a HDD 2tb, with optane linked with it to enchance it.