What's a good local 3D modelling software?

MichelPostma

Hey there,

I am looking to get into 3D printing and thus will need to learn a 3d modeling software to make designs to print.

Taking a cursory glance at this field that I am a novice in, it seems like a lot of the software out there is web-based/cloud-based with subscription licenses.

I am looking for a piece of software that runs locally, as I don't feel comfortable learning and paying for a software that runs on someone else's computer and thus can be turned off at any moment.

Also, I'd prefer to just make a one time purchase, as I am not a supporter of this entire subscription-based model.

Given that I am rather willing to dive deep into a software, I am not really looking for "starter" programs that I will need to switch out of within the forseeable future.

So what kind of software is out there that you would recommend?

I am sorry for making one of these "what to use?" posts, but it's just really hard to find a comprehensive list that isn't just some weird article or contains mostly web-based stuff.

Thank you so much for your time reading this and helping me with my question.

Hope you have a great day :)

3 minutes ago, MichelPostma said:

Hey there,

I am looking to get into 3D printing and thus will need to learn a 3d modeling software to make designs to print.

Taking a cursory glance at this field that I am a novice in, it seems like a lot of the software out there is web-based/cloud-based with subscription licenses.

I am looking for a piece of software that runs locally, as I don't feel comfortable learning and paying for a software that runs on someone else's computer and thus can be turned off at any moment.

Also, I'd prefer to just make a one time purchase, as I am not a supporter of this entire subscription-based model.

Given that I am rather willing to dive deep into a software, I am not really looking for "starter" programs that I will need to switch out of within the forseeable future.

So what kind of software is out there that you would recommend?

I am sorry for making one of these "what to use?" posts, but it's just really hard to find a comprehensive list that isn't just some weird article or contains mostly web-based stuff.

Thank you so much for your time reading this and helping me with my question.

Hope you have a great day 🙂

Blender, totaly free, lots of tutorial channels, very powerful, 1000's of free/ cheap & paid extensions, Python integration. Everything you need to start off with is free and local.

Blender is good for organic / free form models. Fusion360 (a program that you can get a free version to use for non-commercial purposes) is good for mechanical parts.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

I'll be exploring both Blender and Fusion360 to see which fits my needs best.

Thank you so much for your time and have a great day!

On 6/22/2023 at 3:28 AM, MichelPostma said:

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

I'll be exploring both Blender and Fusion360 to see which fits my needs best.

Thank you so much for your time and have a great day!

head up fusion is  local  but chucked full of DRM and they also knee cap the heck out it.

if you go down the fusion360 route they will lock you in and if your hobby becomes more then what it allows you be forced to buy it.

Polygons? textures?  samples? You want it? It's yours, my friend, as long as you have enough Vram.
Hey heads up I  have writing disorder I try my best but still make errors. 

• 2 weeks later...

123D is also fine for beginners. But never ever try to use AutoCAD for 3D applications. It is real pain 🤪  almost like AutoCAD Electrical (I hate this program). But fusion 360 is just fine. What to say, it just depends on which Indian programmer wrote your application.  🙃

And Cura Ultimaker for printing and filament parameters settings.