RX 7600 crashing, is this normal for AMD?

Underi

Hey. Decided to upgrade after 9 long years with my dear GTX 970. It was clearly nearing the end of it's life with problems OC'ing and modern triple-A games not running at 60fps even on the lowest of settings. The RX 7600 seemed like a great upgrade option but I'm starting to regret it.

I thought the meme about AMD drivers being dogwater and constant crashes and issues were just fanboys flaming and unfounded in general. Surely it can't be THAT bad? Well, I got the card three days ago and honestly it's starting to be too much. It happens AT LEAST daily, the drivers crashing, the screen going blank. If not during almost every game session. It doesn't matter if it's something lightweight like League or Cyberpunk 2077, it can and probably will crash. I'm talking like 5-15 times a day. Sometimes even when I'm just watching a youtube video. Is this really "normal" for an AMD card or is it just that new or is the card faulty? I honestly don't remember having any issues ever with my 970 unless I was overclocking.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

3 minutes ago, Underi said:

Hey. Decided to upgrade after 9 long years with my dear GTX 970. It was clearly nearing the end of it's life with problems OC'ing and modern triple-A games not running at 60fps even on the lowest of settings. The RX 7600 seemed like a great upgrade option but I'm starting to regret it.

I thought the meme about AMD drivers being dogwater and constant crashes and issues were just fanboys flaming and unfounded in general. Surely it can't be THAT bad? Well, I got the card three days ago and honestly it's starting to be too much. It happens AT LEAST daily, the drivers crashing, the screen going blank. If not during almost every game session. It doesn't matter if it's something lightweight like League or Cyberpunk 2077, it can and probably will crash. I'm talking like 5-15 times a day. Sometimes even when I'm just watching a youtube video. Is this really "normal" for an AMD card or is it just that new or is the card faulty? I honestly don't remember having any issues ever with my 970 unless I was overclocking.

Have you tried to use DDU?

27 minutes ago, Underi said:

Did you install the dedicated special 7600 drivers ? 

May be an issue with them as well, they're pretty new

Got a 7900XTX since 1 month and no crash (except due to instable undervolt...)

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, Hinjima said:

Have you tried to use DDU?

I did uninstall nvidia drivers with DDU before installing the new card but not since.

52 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Did you install the dedicated special 7600 drivers ? 

May be an issue with them as well, they're pretty new

Got a 7900XTX since 1 month and no crash (except due to instable undervolt...)

Not sure, just went on AMD site and downloaded one for the 7600. Says "Adrenalin Edition for Radeon™ RX 7600"

My stuff:

Spoiler

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Getting similar issues with my 7600 aswell despite wiping my old nvidia drivers with DDU and reinstalling AMD drivers multiple times with DDU. Except this time it is extremely  unstable. Sometimes I'd boot up and run games for hours just fine. Some games would straight up instantly crash the driver or would crash it as soon as you loaded in. Youtube videos would often turn into a mess of artifacts and would constantly hang the system. Windows would often replace the driver with it's own generic driver which is incapable of any 3d rendering- forcing a restart if you want to play games( this would also crash Adrenaline). Sometimes I would get softlocked out of my computer because the driver dies on the login screen and not even force refreshing it with ctrl + win + shift +b works.

@Underi

@Total Epicnessᴭᴺ

Nope, AMD definitely isn't that bad. Been on AMD for about 4 years now (since RX 5700-XT hit the market) and I have hardly ever crashed without it specifically being my fault (overclocking settings).

Now I have an RX 7900-XTX and have only crashed once for a reason that wasn't related to something I specifically did wrong.

You absolutely MUST use the DDU took when switching from Nvidia to AMD or vise versa. If a single hint of any driver files gets left behind, it can cause serious conflicts and basically constant crashing no matter what side you are on. DDU and fresh install is ALSO one of the early steps in troubleshooting ANY GPU issues.

But there is also for some reason a special dedicated driver for the RX 7600. This has never really happened before - like Nvidia, most of the time a single driver covers an entire series of cards and you don't need separate drivers for each tier.

Maybe this means something is wrong with the RX 7600 specifically even if other RX 7000 series cards run quite well.

I would send AMD themselves a support ticket and continue troubleshooting for the day or two while awaiting a response.

If it starts to look like there may actually be an issue with the RX 7600, then I would RMA/ demand refund and get a 6700-XT/6750-XT instead. Its literally like $30-$50 more depending on AIB and far more powerful, and already proven to be a good card, plus its got 12GB of VRAM which is pretty important for longevity these days.

Best of luck to you guys. I hope there isn't some weird issue with the RX 7600 or that they get it fixed ASAP if there is one.

8nFrKQSKRrvUPqZg52o2vE.thumb.png.254d5a1d7722ce0bd88c877fe06d2534.png

Here I am playing a brand new 2023 Game as well as an older 2018 game on my new XTX with extreme performance and perfect stability - and I even have mild OC set up. Red Dead did crash sometimes on Vulkan but it was the APIs fault and once I switched to DX12 it just never happened again. Hope you get it worked out:

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

Return the card either way. Maybe the card is defective or its the drivers.

Or just stick to buying last gen for AMD to avoid the occasional pre-release beta. Anyway thanks for sharing.
For reference my rx 6800 has had no problems at stock. OC not perfectly stable though. Maybe it being mined with made a difference?

You could also reinstall windows...

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

On 6/17/2023 at 5:25 PM, Underi said:

I don't know. Aside from rare problems with pixelation and very, very rare artifacting in certain games, my 6800 xt has been great. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

Since it was mentioned, did you fully remove all Nvidia drivers using DDU or other program?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

Few things to disable when AMD driver misbehave. 

1. Disable MPO. Yes this issue applies to Nvidia GPU as well but not as widespread.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/~/after-updating-to-nvidia-game-ready-driver-461.09-or-newer%2C-some-desktop-apps

2. Disable HAGS

Spoiler

Windows-11-HAGS-featured-02.jpg

3. Disable Hardware Acceleration (Internet browser, Steam, Discord, etc)

Spoiler

2019-04-29_15h01_06.png?trim=1,1&bg-colo

4. Disable automatic Windows Driver update. Sometime windows update will override AMD driver from AMD.com

Spoiler

windows-10-disable-driver-update.png

Don't forget to reboot.

Also I noticed Radeon is more sensitive to system memory instability. Try clean and reseat your RAM or drop the timing/overclock. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Since it was mentioned, did you fully remove all Nvidia drivers using DDU or other program?

They did mention DDU use in earlier comments.

@Total Epicnessᴭᴺ said his stability got even worse after multiple DDU and reinstall attempts.

Im beginning to think there is an issue with this so-called "special driver" that is specifically for the RX 7600 and not the other RX 7000 cards.

It sounds like this special separate driver they made is a pile of garbage and people need to start reporting it to AMD. Ill google it later on today.

Current Build Thread:

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

Windows will sometimes overwrite drivers from AMD.com

@Underi

@Total Epicnessᴭᴺ

This is a BIG one for AMD. Especially when drivers are brand new and haven't been around long for Windows to learn.

There is a strong possibility that Windows is over-writing the AMD official drivers.

Current Build Thread:

On 6/23/2023 at 1:26 PM, WallacEngineering said:

I would send AMD themselves a support ticket and continue troubleshooting for the day or two while awaiting a response.

Thanks, I'll do that right now.

My stuff:

Spoiler

Did you ever get this figured out? I am having the same issue, I've done everything listed online to try to remedy the situation including swapping RAM, trying in other systems, uninstalling drivers with DDU and reinstalling, everything I can think of. At a complete loss at this point and even though I'm still within the return window for the card I'd rather not return it, get the same thing and still have issues. 

Try use DDU in safe mode, and delete all GPU drivers.

I clear all GPU drivers for  Intel, Nvidia and AMD.

Thanks for letting me know.  I'll avoid.

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.

I guess I'll wait for the 9000 series. 😉

42 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I guess I'll wait for the 9000 series. 😉

Already out... 9800GT ftw

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

49 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Already out... 9800GT ftw

And is it worth the price?

13 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

And is it worth the price?

Absolutely not. 😸

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

18 hours ago, DeathRabit said:

Try use DDU in safe mode, and delete all GPU drivers.

I clear all GPU drivers for  Intel, Nvidia and AMD.

We've both done that. I think this special driver is just causing issues in games. I've stress tested my machine multiple times and haven't had any issues but when it comes to playing actual games I'll eventually get a Driver Timeout Error. It seems particularly bad in Destiny 2. Most games I can run for 30mins at least before an issue but that game crashes in less than 10 minutes every time. No matter what I do. I've now tried XMP on, XMP off, Overclocking, undervolting, default settings on everything, safe mode ddu uninstall and reinstall drivers, repairing games, changing power settings, swapping from DisplayPort to HDMI and vice versa, nothing seems to change it. I'm not thermal throttling because it never even gets close to the powerdraw/ thermal limit I reach when stress testing it, it's just driver timeout. Getting really frustrated with this thing tbh.

On 6/28/2023 at 1:06 AM, Robobum said:

Did you ever get this figured out? I am having the same issue, I've done everything listed online to try to remedy the situation including swapping RAM, trying in other systems, uninstalling drivers with DDU and reinstalling, everything I can think of. At a complete loss at this point and even though I'm still within the return window for the card I'd rather not return it, get the same thing and still have issues. 

Not sure yet. I got instructions from AMD to update my BIOS, update to 22H2 version of Windows (I was on 21H2) and to reinstall the drivers. I've now done this all and I guess we'll see if it helps. Here are the exact instructions I got:

image.thumb.png.a72f9265472fe205499836cca3dabb88.png

My stuff:

Spoiler

Well, there really seems to be something wrong with the card. It's still crashing even when just listening to youtube browsing steam store. Also seeing artifacts just before the screen would go black. I'll most likely be returning this card and paying 70€ more for a 6700 XT.

My stuff:

Spoiler

On 6/17/2023 at 5:25 PM, Underi said:

RX 7600 crashing, is this normal for AMD?

This post has been ninja-edited while you weren't looking.

I'm a used parts bottom feeder.  Your loss is my gain.

I like people who tell good RGB jokes.