As a person who HATES RGB but needs something to control/make static so it doesn't look distracting...

SiG
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

OpenRGB is probably the best for this then, it is pretty lightweight, a lot of the time it can be used to set a color and then closed (this doesn't work with Gigabyte boards in my experience though, with them it needs to be running at all times), and is pretty feature rich. Assuming everything you use works with it, it's a pretty good option to just set everything to a static color pretty quickly and/or turn everything off if you want to. 

When building my PC, there were some components that unfortunately came with RGB lighting, such as my motherboard. While I could disable them from the UEFI/BIOS, I found the fact that some light turning on after POST was a very useful way to tell if a component is functioning properly. With that said, it remains in the static amber light that could prove distracting in particular low-light scenarios.

Truth be told, I dislike RGB control apps since they expend precious CPU cycles on something compltely cosmetic. It's like Achievements in games: they're especially distracting when they pop out of nowehere so that my own system could patronize me, which is why I highly dislike them. At the same time, the amber light can be eye-searing in a dark room, especially when trying to watch a movie on my setup. I was looking into both OpenRGB and SignalRGB, and while Linus Media Group openly sponsors SignalRGB, I've heard reports of it being process intensive similar to other RGB control apps, whereas OpenRGB is intentionally lightweight.

I'm just looking for something to turn the eyesearing amber into something like a static dim white or something that doesn't attract attention to itself (i.e "gamery"). I really don't need something to be pulsating, blinking, or any bling effects.

OpenRGB is probably the best for this then, it is pretty lightweight, a lot of the time it can be used to set a color and then closed (this doesn't work with Gigabyte boards in my experience though, with them it needs to be running at all times), and is pretty feature rich. Assuming everything you use works with it, it's a pretty good option to just set everything to a static color pretty quickly and/or turn everything off if you want to. 

I found that I could use RGB Fusion from Gigabyte on my Aourus Master once I made all the board  GPU and CPU water block LEDs a light blue and static I simply deleted the app after saving the settings. I did the same with Icue as the vengeance memory kit 4 x 16GB  by default is like a dammed disco with rainbows and flashing lights etc.

So again used the required software icue to make the dimms a soft light blue static saved the settings and deleted the app.

This was maybe 18 months ago and since have never had any issue. I have zero RGB control software in the rig but everything is a simply light blue tone.

Just use the apps you need create the settings you require then delete the rgb apps. I cannot imagine I am the only person doing this but it does work.

just to clarify. MB is a gigabyte x570 aorus master. Memory is corsair vengeance pro CPU water block is an EK quantum velocity GPU water block is from Alphacool on an MSI RTX 3080 Suprim No RGB fans as I swapped the out for Silent Wings 3 

So a mix of components are in my rig no specific vendor and sticking to one brand

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I just tried OpenRGB. I do use a Gigabyte AORUS PRO AX motherboard, but unlike what you described, after setting the color and closing the app, the set color remains until the next reboot. I kind of just want it to "run after startup and close" automatically, without remaining in the background if only to keep the LEDs from being so eye-searingly bright.

I did a web search on possible solutions, but the literal "2 methods of how to auto load and terminate OpenRGB.exe" is gated behind a private reddit link... (i.e. won't allow me to view said content)

Edit: Apparently it's a built-in setting, but "Start At Login" has to be enabled:
image.png.8f004a7635b26c7764765f0217cf6b8e.png

Seem to work just as intended. After seeeing the colors change, checking my Task Manager shows it not staying in the background. Fantastic!