broken laptop - can it be saved?

crazy goldfish
Looking for any ideas if this laptop can be saved.
Gave my son my old Asus gaming laptop GL502V and all was good until he knocked something over which hit the screen. (geniune accident)
The screen didnt looked cracked, but completely dead, so i took out the screen and order a new lcd off ebay (on the way i dont have it yet).
In the short term, I thought I would hook the laptop up to a monitor so he can still play, laptop shows the bios splash screen and then goes dark with no signal.
I thought maybe the drive has gone bad, so i take it out and try it in my pc and its fine.
Incase windows has glitched, i tried a fresh build, windows installs fine and gets to the "we are setting things up for you", montior or tv goes to no signal and i cant get any further.
I had windows 10 on an old drive, so i try that, windows fully boots, after a few mins you hear the windows chim like a device has been removed and it goes dark.
You can still hear the sound when you add / remove a usb drive.
At this point i am wondering if the GPU has maybe gone, i did notice only one fan spinning when i took the cover off,,,, but not sure if its just due to the laptop not being hot enough.

My son showed me an image that he googled of what he saw before the screen died, it was more a black n white glitched screen than the lcd crack effect. Not quite what you would associated with a typical gpu failure either.

Any ideas?

It sounds like windows is switching to the broken display. You can try pressing the win key + p a few times and it should switch to the external monitor.

If that doesn't work you could also try disconnecting the bad LCD while you wait for the new one, windows may think the display is not longer there and default to the external one.

1 hour ago, unkn0wn1 said:

try disconnecting the bad LCD

this, either from the panel, or the mobo, either is sufficient,

depends a lot on where the impact is, if it was to the bottom area of the screen, especially on the bezel right below the lcd, that can damage the ribbon or the part of the glass that the ribbons connect to, it would not show up as crags in the screen and also will have various effects including loss of colour and big lines in the screen

1 hour ago, OhYou_ said:

this, either from the panel, or the mobo, either is sufficient,

depends a lot on where the impact is, if it was to the bottom area of the screen, especially on the bezel right below the lcd, that can damage the ribbon or the part of the glass that the ribbons connect to, it would not show up as crags in the screen and also will have various effects including loss of colour and big lines in the screen

Already disconnected the panel and I get the same thing 

3 hours ago, unkn0wn1 said:

It sounds like windows is switching to the broken display. You can try pressing the win key + p a few times and it should switch to the external monitor.

If that doesn't work you could also try disconnecting the bad LCD while you wait for the new one, windows may think the display is not longer there and default to the external one.

Tried that, panel is disconnected and win p does nothing 

Hang on,,,, ok now thst I’ve disconnected the monitor cable from mobo I at least get the monitor coming on before it dies.

will try the new panel when it arrives, must be the laptop being fussy