Python or Ruby?

Jeroen1322

Hi guys!

I'm interested to learn another language but i don't know what they can do and what is the easiest. 

What can you do with Python and what can you do with Ruby? 

Thanks! 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

First time hearing for ruby.

With python you can do interface for example java application.

With python you can do interface for example java application.

no idea what you are trying to say here :D

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Python.

Why?

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Why?

It's the easier language IMO. Took me 2 years (in school) and i could understand and write (would take a long time though) complex programs.

If you want some advantages, wall street uses python ;)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

It's the easier language IMO. Took me 2 years (in school) and i could understand and write (would take a long time though) complex programs.

Mmm, interesting! What resources did you use?

Mmm, interesting! What resources did you use?

Text book :P

and of course exercises set by the teacher (such as past papers).

She was also kind enough to make 5 HUGE booklets by herself about python :)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Text book :P

and of course exercises set by the teacher (such as past papers).

She was also kind enough to make 5 HUGE booklets by herself about python :)

Ooh that's awesome that she did that! But i'm in highschool and i don't get programming as a course so i have to do it in me spare time. Are there some books that you could recommend? It doesn't matter if it is in english!

Ooh that's awesome that she did that! But i'm in highschool and i don't get programming as a course so i have to do it in me spare time. Are there some books that you could recommend? It doesn't matter if it is in english!

I don't really have books to recommend as i did programming a few years ago.

I can link you to some good resources / books though.

I think this will help you, i went through it and it seems pretty good: http://www.learnpython.org/

It teaches you while giving you chances to test what you have learnt and it also tells you what is wrong and you can go back and check what you did wrong.

Hope this helps :)

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Do you have some programming experience?

If not, Python is a great way to start learning how to program, grasp the basic concepts of Object Oriented Programming and make games using PyGame . Python has many libraries freely available with solid online support. You can make simple programs, User Interface and Web Applications.

Ruby is an essential language for Web Application Developers and will greatly enhance your employability. If you are part of this field of work it will help you out a lot. Ruby is free and fairly easy to learn but it has limited usage.

Hi guys!

I'm interested to learn another language but i don't know what they can do and what is the easiest. 

What can you do with Python and what can you do with Ruby? 

Thanks! 

Do you have some programming experience?

If not, Python is a great way to start learning how to program, grasp the basic concepts of Object Oriented Programming and make games using PyGame . Python has many libraries freely available with solid online support. You can make simple programs, User Interface and Web Applications.

Ruby is an essential language for Web Application Developers and will greatly enhance your employability. If you are part of this field of work it will help you out a lot. Ruby is free and fairly easy to learn but it has limited usage.

I do have some experience. I made multiple websites and i can read/write HTML/CSS/JavaScript/PHP but it isn't really 'programming' and i want to make software because making websites almost isn't a skill anymore because people can just make it with Weebly or something.

I think i'll go for Python! :) 

I do have some experience. I made multiple websites and i can read/write HTML/CSS/JavaScript/PHP but it isn't really 'programming' and i want to make software because making websites almost isn't a skill anymore because people can just make it with Weebly or something.

I think i'll go for Python! :)

Yes, world has moved on to Web Applications.

Python is a great choice! Best of Luck! :)

In my experience, Financial Institutions mostly use C# and other .NET technologies... lots of ASP.NET. Though that is just through my dealings with recruitment, I've never worked for those companies.

In my experience, Financial Institutions mostly use C# and other .NET technologies... lots of ASP.NET. Though that is just through my dealings with recruitment, I've never worked for those companies.

.net? Thats not very safe tho... how about C# and C++  ?

no idea what you are trying to say here :D

like buttons you press on, sliders,  boxes to write in and such... like a interactive window

you can use python with java programs

.net? Thats not very safe tho... how about C# and C++  ?

What's not safe about .NET?

.NET is very safe, though on huge scales it isn't the most reliable. There is a Python (and Ruby) implementation on .NET called IronPython and IronRuby. It is often used on enterprise websites though in actual enterprise software at financial institutions it was relatively rare until the last couple of years when F# was recognised as a top language so it's started seeing widespread adoption.

I'd probably recommend learning Python, it's very well documented and widely used with more libraries to extend. Ruby is a tiny bit trickier but it was my first or second language - building Ruby guided scripts in RPG Maker XP.

Either one would be great to have under your belt, so choose whatever interests you the most.

Edited by Dredgy