Crimson Obsidian

My First PC build without reusing components from another or that have been handed down or off to me

Crimson Industries proudly presents: Crimson Obsidian
- 8 Case fans (4 in, 4 out)
- 8TB Internal HDD (1TB Boot Disk, 2+1TB Spanned Files Volume, 4TB mUSBtBSS HDD (connected directly to the JUSB1 Header with an adapter))
- PNY GeForce RTX 3060 12GB XLR8
- 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM (4x8) (G.Skill Ripjaws V Series)
- MAG B760 Tomahawk WiFi DDR4 Mobo
- Intel Core i5 13600KF (with Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO)
- Windows 11 Home
- Case: Hyte Y60 (Red)

- PSU: Corsair RM1000x

(Budget was roughly $1300-$1500 USD)

20230608_193256.jpg

20230608_215200.jpg

The Setup (for now until I get my triple monitor order):

20230611_123207.jpg

Edited by Crimson_0verlord

2 hours ago, Crimson_0verlord said:

My First PC build without reusing components from another or that have been handed down or off to me

Crimson Industries proudly presents: Crimson Obsidian
- 8 Case fans (4 in, 4 out)
- 8TB Internal HDD (1TB Boot Disk, 2+1TB Spanned Files Volume, 4TB mUSBtBSS HDD (connected directly to the JUSB1 Header with an adapter))
- PNY GeForce RTX 3060 12GB XLR8
- 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM (4x8) (G.Skill Ripjaws V Series)
- MAG B760 Tomahawk WiFi DDR4 Mobo
- Intel Core i5 13600KF (with Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO)
- Windows 11 Home
- Case: Hyte Y60 (Red)

(Budget was roughly $1300)

20230608_193256.jpg

20230608_215200.jpg

The Setup (for now until I get my triple monitor order):

20230611_123207.jpg

was the 3060 handed down to you? because its pretty meh in gaming compared to the competition

6700xt: roughly $100 cheaper with 4gb more vram, meaning it can run mw2 without issues (mw2 low settings already use 7.7gb vram), and is also far better in gaming

6650xt: roughly same performance yet almost $200 cheaper

6750xt: about $70 cheaper and closer to 3070ti performance with 4gb more vram

also not sure if its worth doing 4x8gb vram, usre its nice to see it filled up with sticks of 16gb are becoming the new normal

what psu did you get?

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

24 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

was the 3060 handed down to you? because its pretty meh in gaming compared to the competition

6700xt: roughly $100 cheaper with 4gb more vram, meaning it can run mw2 without issues (mw2 low settings already use 7.7gb vram), and is also far better in gaming

6650xt: roughly same performance yet almost $200 cheaper

6750xt: about $70 cheaper and closer to 3070ti performance with 4gb more vram

also not sure if its worth doing 4x8gb vram, usre its nice to see it filled up with sticks of 16gb are becoming the new normal

what psu did you get?

No, I bought the 3060 brand new from Amazon. I'm not a hardcore gamer, my (used to be) main PC is a gaming laptop with a 10th gen i7, 2070 Super and 32 GB ram. I don't play the ultra brand new games that require the latest hardware. I'm ok with turning down my settings to play. Afterall, the main games I play are Minecraft, Doom Eternal and a few others here and there. The GPU was advertised with an RGB blade. (I had already planned to purchase a 3060 colorful battleax card but it went out of stock before I could make the purchase). The only things I needed it to do well were RTX Minecraft Bedrock Edition and 3D Modeling with Rhino 7 (and RTX rendering). Since the laptop handled it pretty well, I didnt bother going all brand new 2023 tech. I did want it to have some kick, but not all the kick in the world. Afterall, this is my second ever PC build in general outside of repairs. I'm an Intel and Nvidia kinda person. I've never owned a machine with an AMD chip or GPU. All the laptops and stuff I've owned were Intel with Integrated Graphics. and my laptop with the nvidia 2070 super. My techie friends asked me why i went with these and I'd rather play it safe with the tech from companies whose hardware I'm familiar with. The 4x8 DRAM configuration was about the same price as a 2x16 configuration. Plus I like to see the slots filled up. If you couldn't already tell, this build is less of a "powerhouse" and more an art piece for me. Its color scheme and aesthetics are the main reasons for all the parts purchased. my budget was reason number 2, I'm currently studying Graphic and Media Design at my college and I cant spend every penny i make on a pc. The Power Supply is a Corsair RM1000x.

I have every intention of upgrading this PC periodically for at least the next 10-20 years. an upgrade path for it currently goes something like this (sooner>later):

Storage (HDD to SSD) > GPU > CPU Cooling (Air to Liquid) > CPU > DRAM > repeat?

3 minutes ago, Crimson_0verlord said:

No, I bought the 3060 brand new from Amazon. I'm not a hardcore gamer, my (used to be) main PC is a gaming laptop with a 10th gen i7, 2070 Super and 32 GB ram. I don't play the ultra brand new games that require the latest hardware. I'm ok with turning down my settings to play. Afterall, the main games I play are Minecraft, Doom Eternal and a few others here and there. The GPU was advertised with an RGB blade. (I had already planned to purchase a 3060 colorful battleax card but it went out of stock before I could make the purchase). The only things I needed it to do well were RTX Minecraft Bedrock Edition and 3D Modeling with Rhino 7 (and RTX rendering). Since the laptop handled it pretty well, I didnt bother going all brand new 2023 tech. I did want it to have some kick, but not all the kick in the world.

the 6700xt is 2021 tech. can do "RTX" too (ray tracing, and ray tracing on a 3060 is horrible anyways), but indeed the 3060 is better at the modeling, so understandable there, not in the rest tho.

5 minutes ago, Crimson_0verlord said:

I'm an Intel and Nvidia kinda person. I've never owned a machine with an AMD chip or GPU. All the laptops and stuff I've owned were Intel with Integrated Graphics. and my laptop with the nvidia 2070 super. My techie friends asked me why i went with these and I'd rather play it safe with the tech from companies whose hardware I'm familiar with. The 4x8 DRAM configuration was about the same price as a 2x16 configuration. Plus I like to see the slots filled up. If you couldn't already tell, this build is less of a "powerhouse" and more an art piece for me. Its color scheme and aesthetics are the main reasons for all the parts purchased. my budget was reason number 2, I'm currently studying Graphic and Media Design at my college and I cant spend every penny i make on a pc. The Power Supply is a Corsair RM1000x.

I have every intention of upgrading this PC periodically for at least the next 10-20 years. an upgrade path for it currently goes something like this (sooner>later):

Storage (HDD to SSD) > GPU > CPU Cooling (Air to Liquid) > CPU > DRAM > repeat?

you say you are an intel and nvidia kind of person, yet also say that you "cant spend every penny on a pc", thats litteraly what nvidia and intel are. a 5700x and 6800xt could have been in your system (3080 performance) yet you went with nvidia and intel.

rmx1000 is also way over the top, that system doesnt need more than 700watt psu

HDD to NVME would be way more beneficial, you can actualy get 2tb for about 120 bucks or 1tb for 60 bucks if you are interested

image.thumb.jpeg.44142abbc5fc16d3dc45727b41bf87d4.jpeg

i also completely understand the asthetic part, as i too built my pc around rgb and looks, totaly worth it

yet that doesnt mean you should leave performance for price on the table, im planning to add 2 more ram sticks once i have the money, and upgrade my gpu to a 7900xtx red devil (better than 4080 for 70% of the price, also very nice rgb)

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

30 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

the 6700xt is 2021 tech. can do "RTX" too (ray tracing, and ray tracing on a 3060 is horrible anyways), but indeed the 3060 is better at the modeling, so understandable there, not in the rest tho.

you say you are an intel and nvidia kind of person, yet also say that you "cant spend every penny on a pc", thats litteraly what nvidia and intel are. a 5700x and 6800xt could have been in your system (3080 performance) yet you went with nvidia and intel.

rmx1000 is also way over the top, that system doesnt need more than 700watt psu

HDD to NVME would be way more beneficial, you can actualy get 2tb for about 120 bucks or 1tb for 60 bucks if you are interested

image.thumb.jpeg.44142abbc5fc16d3dc45727b41bf87d4.jpeg

i also completely understand the asthetic part, as i too built my pc around rgb and looks, totaly worth it

yet that doesnt mean you should leave performance for price on the table, im planning to add 2 more ram sticks once i have the money, and upgrade my gpu to a 7900xtx red devil (better than 4080 for 70% of the price, also very nice rgb)

Nvidia and Intel are just a personal preference and my area of experience. I just didnt want to go with AMD and stuff. (I actually dont know anything at all about anything that isnt Nvidia/Intel so...)

I got the 1000W PSU for a triple monitor setup (plus a Rift S) and to be able to quickly upgrade in the future without needing a new better power supply.

My plan is to go from the 1 TB HDD Boot Disk I have for Windows now, swap the 1 TB M.2 in the laptop with a cheaper 200ish GB M.2, put the 1tb M.2 onto the Tower Mobo and move the OS there, thus giving myself a 4TB (1+1+2) Spanned Volume plus the other 4TB internal. I have a dual drive bay and about 6 TB in HDDs sitting in a corner that will suffice in the laptop should i make it into a high performing MC Server, FTP, Media Center, ETC. In the far future, I'll either buy or build a HDD rack so I can load up my 10 TB of HDDs to a NAS or other server solution.

The monitors are next plus the Rift S once I get more money, when I was building this PC, my main goal was to have a full setup (PC, VR, 3xScreens) by the end of summer.

1 minute ago, Crimson_0verlord said:

Nvidia and Intel are just a personal preference and my area of experience. I just didnt want to go with AMD and stuff. (I actually dont know anything at all about anything that isnt Nvidia/Intel so...)

that would be completely fine in the past, but now intel and nvidia are becoming way more scummy since the 20 series (they litteraly cut production of the 4070 to keep prices high because they werent being sol because they were so incredibly bad, btw 4060 sometimes is worse than 3060, that should give u a good hint of how terrible it is now)

amd has been stepping up it game and is now a better option for anyone that doesnt do heavy rendering thasks, id recomend you look into it (6950xt, wich is 650 bucks is almost just as good as the 4090 (1700) in warzone 2

if ud like to upgrade id deffinatly recomend looking into their x3d chips later down the line

5 minutes ago, Crimson_0verlord said:

My plan is to go from the 1 TB HDD Boot Disk I have for Windows now, swap the 1 TB M.2 in the laptop with a cheaper 200ish GB M.2, put the 1tb M.2 onto the Tower Mobo and move the OS there, thus giving myself a 4TB (1+1+2) Spanned Volume plus the other 4TB internal. I have a dual drive bay and about 6 TB in HDDs sitting in a corner that will suffice in the laptop should i make it into a high performing MC Server, FTP, Media Center, ETC. In the far future, I'll either buy or build a HDD rack so I can load up my 10 TB of HDDs to a NAS or other server solution.

The monitors are next plus the Rift S once I get more money, when I was building tgis PC, my main goal was to have a full setup (PC, VR, 3xScreens) by the end of summer.

Yea looks fine to me, have fun

remember, im only trying to help you save money, ive always been on intel and nvidia before i built my first pc, can deffinatly say im never going back, the software is just way better

id seriously recomend taking a look behind the scenes of everything so you wont get ripped off in the future, nvidia is getting more and more shady with their 40 series

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

12 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

that would be completely fine in the past, but now intel and nvidia are becoming way more scummy since the 20 series (they litteraly cut production of the 4070 to keep prices high because they werent being sol because they were so incredibly bad, btw 4060 sometimes is worse than 3060, that should give u a good hint of how terrible it is now)

amd has been stepping up it game and is now a better option for anyone that doesnt do heavy rendering thasks, id recomend you look into it (6950xt, wich is 650 bucks is almost just as good as the 4090 (1700) in warzone 2

if ud like to upgrade id deffinatly recomend looking into their x3d chips later down the line

Yea looks fine to me, have fun

remember, im only trying to help you save money, ive always been on intel and nvidia before i built my first pc, can deffinatly say im never going back, the software is just way better

id seriously recomend taking a look behind the scenes of everything so you wont get ripped off in the future, nvidia is getting more and more shady with their 40 series

I searched for 4090 on amazon and let me tell u, i aint spending anywhere near $1250 on a gpu. That's just way too much for a single component, especially since its all way up there cuz of scalpers, i figured that by going older, i'd be less likely to get dragged into scalper pricing. I appreciate the money help and I'll def look into AMD GPUs in the future, but this mobo was enough of a pain already to fit the 13th gen, so i think if i get to a CPU upgrade decision, I'll probs go i7 13th gen, as i9 is wayyyyy too hard to cool as shown by recent LTT vids

1 minute ago, Crimson_0verlord said:

I searched for 4090 on amazon and let me tell u, i aint spending anywhere $1250 on a gpu. That's just way too much for a single component, especially since its all way up there cuz of scalpers, i figured that by going older, i'd be less likely to get dragged into scalper pricing. I appreciate the money help and I'll def look into AMD GPUs in the future, but this mobo was enough of a pain already to fit the 13th gen, so i think if i get to a CPU upgrade decision, I'll probs go i7 13th gen, as i9 is wayyyyy too hard to cool as shown by recent LTT vids

fair enough yea, i wouldnt personaly get a 4090 unless i had the money (wich i do) but i dont need the productivity part so ill just go for the 7900xtx because games, its the king of games where you dont need extra fancy stuff.

fun fact the 7950x3d is best gaming cpu, and best productivity cpu, the x3d (3d vcache) helps in games a lot, the 7950x3d is about 7% better in productivity while being 15% better in gaming, also much easier to cool

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

49 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

fair enough yea, i wouldnt personaly get a 4090 unless i had the money (wich i do) but i dont need the productivity part so ill just go for the 7900xtx because games, its the king of games where you dont need extra fancy stuff.

fun fact the 7950x3d is best gaming cpu, and best productivity cpu, the x3d (3d vcache) helps in games a lot, the 7950x3d is about 7% better in productivity while being 15% better in gaming, also much easier to cool

Ill probs splurge on a 7900xtx in the far future (or something a little less god tier for less sooner)

25 minutes ago, Crimson_0verlord said:

Ill probs splurge on a 7900xtx in the far future (or something a little less god tier for less sooner)

id say wait till 50 and 8000 series come out, 7900xtx is a good improvement over the 6950xt but not enough to really warrant to extra 500 bucks, id see how the drivers turn out in a botu a year or wait for the 8000 series and see if its good enough

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

10 hours ago, Blqckqut said:

id say wait till 50 and 8000 series come out, 7900xtx is a good improvement over the 6950xt but not enough to really warrant to extra 500 bucks, id see how the drivers turn out in a botu a year or wait for the 8000 series and see if its good enough

I've also got a friend who is big into AMD so I can also ask him when the time comes. Thanks for the help!