Do keyboards really need 48 hours to dry?

Go to solution Solved by emosun,

if you dont bother to take it apart then wait 48

I have a RedDragon brown switch keyboard that I usually clean once a year or so. I follow this video from Paul's Hardware: 

It says to wait 48 hours to let your keyboard fully dry. I normally have no problem with this, since I had an extra keyboard to use while the other was drying. Right now, I don't have access to that keyboard, so I would not be able to use my PC at all for 48 hours if I wanted to clean the keyboard. I am curious, does it really take 48 hours for the keyboard to dry? Would I be able to get away with 24 instead?

Depends on your environment, I suppose. If it is hot and humid it'll take a lot longer than if it is is a hot and dry environment. General recommendations always err on the side of caution.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

6 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Depends on your environment, I suppose. If it is hot and humid it'll take a lot longer than if it is is a hot and dry environment. General recommendations always err on the side of caution.

It's relatively hot where I am, I think the humidity is okay but I'll be cautious and just do 48 hours

Cleaning it the way Paul cleans it, I see no reason to wait 2 full days?
The switches themselves are cleaned with iso alcohol, which dries real quick. The lubricant should be electronic safe, meaning it wouldn't cause a short even if spilled everywhere and not dry (didn't fully watch the video, so I don't know what exactly he is using).

If you have access to compressed air or a handheld blower like the metrovac datavac electric duster, you can speed up that process even more.
I use electronic contact cleaner with added lubricant and I sure as heck don't wait 2 days when I use it because it can be used even on live electronics.

https://www.amazon.ca/MG-Chemicals-Contact-Electronic-Silicones/dp/B0047Y3YQ2/

Doesn't need a ton of it to clean a keyboard. Just a spray or two on the sides of the keys and that's that.

Now the biggest problem are the keycaps themselves. He does wash them submerged which needs time to dry.

BUT, again, you can super quickly dry them with air. It's what I do with my datavac. A hair dryer on lower settings can also speed up the process. Or put them in front of a fan overnight after removing as much water as possible. Even more so if you have a dehumidifier / AC unit that will suck out the moisture from that room

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro