Used GPU reboots and crashes PC

NeroHell

Hi! I've recently buyed a used 3060ti which worked fine, but after a few hours trying some games the PC crashes and when trying to reboot, the GPU doesn't show a display, however, the computer is on. Later, while playing Valorant the entire game went dark (the same game but with blacks more remarked) and the computer crashes.

I'm new to this and I'm upgrading slowly.

I used to run a Ryzen 5 3400g with a Asus A320M-K with 16gb Ram at 2666mhz. My PSU is a EVGA 700 BQ. Up until now I haven't had any problem, not until I installed the GPU.

Hope someone could help me

Have you made clean GPU Driver install using DDU? There might be some conflicting between your iGPU drivers and new Nvidia drivers.

Also what are you thermals while GPU is underload? 

GPU : RTX 3070 Gaming X TRIO | CPU : Ryzen 5 7600 \ COOLER : Deepcool AK620 | MOBO : ASUS TUF Gaming B650 Plus | RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 16GBx2 6200 MHz \ Storage : Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 1TB \ PSU : Corsair TX750M | CASE : Be Quite! Pure Base 500DX Black

9 hours ago, DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly said:

Have you made clean GPU Driver install using DDU? There might be some conflicting between your iGPU drivers and new Nvidia drivers.

Also what are you thermals while GPU is underload? 

I'm a little sceptical about using DDU since I've read that may cause that the entiere OS should be reinstalled.

My thermals are around 40°-50° and the fans won't spin on booting, even when I open a game they don't spin, they do when the GPU reaches 60° and they stop again

12 hours ago, NeroHell said:

I'm a little sceptical about using DDU since I've read that may cause that the entiere OS should be reinstalled.

My thermals are around 40°-50° and the fans won't spin on booting, even when I open a game they don't spin, they do when the GPU reaches 60° and they stop again

I dont know where did you read that but that is a complete bullshit.

About your fans , a lot of modern cards have fan stop,which meanas that until certain temp is reached fans are off. My fan stop is set to 50C so if i play some old , non demanding game , fans usually dont even kick in.

Though that doesnt explain your crashing. So to clarify your PC crashes only after couple hours of gaming? Or just randomly?

GPU : RTX 3070 Gaming X TRIO | CPU : Ryzen 5 7600 \ COOLER : Deepcool AK620 | MOBO : ASUS TUF Gaming B650 Plus | RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 16GBx2 6200 MHz \ Storage : Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 1TB \ PSU : Corsair TX750M | CASE : Be Quite! Pure Base 500DX Black

13 hours ago, NeroHell said:

If it caused the OS to need to be re-installed, windows was really messed up to begin with.  Basically 10 up is REALLY good about finding drivers from windows update and just working no matter what computer you put a hard drive in.  But having said this, I really do recommend running DDO so long as you have internet or the latest drivers downloaded.  I have used it going from AMD to Nvidia and back on my system, because bits of drivers get stuck in the registry and left on your hard drive...and all it takes is one bad update and problems start.

Also noticed the "PSU is a EVGA 700 BQ" and my question is how old is it?  If its more than 3 years old, it may not be producing 700 watts any more as due to how capacitors and resistors age, a power supply produces less and less power as the years go by.  Just if you have a spare power supply that is more than 700 watts you should try it, or if you have a $15 to $20 USD power supply tester, or a multi-meter you can also see what it is outputting.

Also check the various temps for all the sensors on your video card, because a used 3060ti may need new thermal paste or have a fan that is not spinning up enough to cool the card.  Also you may want to dig into something like HWiNFO64 just to see what bios is on your card and if it has even been flashed with a bad bios.

21 hours ago, DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly said:

I dont know where did you read that but that is a complete bullshit.

About your fans , a lot of modern cards have fan stop,which meanas that until certain temp is reached fans are off. My fan stop is set to 50C so if i play some old , non demanding game , fans usually dont even kick in.

Though that doesnt explain your crashing. So to clarify your PC crashes only after couple hours of gaming? Or just randomly?

I tried using DDU and uninstalled all video drivers, and no luck. By checking with afterburner, I noticed that the GPU starts using nearly a 70%, then drop to 0% and that's when crashes. It won't last half an hour on without crashing, regardless of the task, even using Word it crashed.

21 hours ago, DarkWaterSong said:

If it caused the OS to need to be re-installed, windows was really messed up to begin with.  Basically 10 up is REALLY good about finding drivers from windows update and just working no matter what computer you put a hard drive in.  But having said this, I really do recommend running DDO so long as you have internet or the latest drivers downloaded.  I have used it going from AMD to Nvidia and back on my system, because bits of drivers get stuck in the registry and left on your hard drive...and all it takes is one bad update and problems start.

Also noticed the "PSU is a EVGA 700 BQ" and my question is how old is it?  If its more than 3 years old, it may not be producing 700 watts any more as due to how capacitors and resistors age, a power supply produces less and less power as the years go by.  Just if you have a spare power supply that is more than 700 watts you should try it, or if you have a $15 to $20 USD power supply tester, or a multi-meter you can also see what it is outputting.

Also check the various temps for all the sensors on your video card, because a used 3060ti may need new thermal paste or have a fan that is not spinning up enough to cool the card.  Also you may want to dig into something like HWiNFO64 just to see what bios is on your card and if it has even been flashed with a bad bios.

I buyed the PSU brand new, so unless it's defective, i doubt that that would be the problem. A friend tried the GPU on his PC and didn't had any problem, so I'm asumming that any of my components is causing the issue.

32 minutes ago, NeroHell said:

I buyed the PSU brand new, so unless it's defective, i doubt that that would be the problem. A friend tried the GPU on his PC and didn't had any problem, so I'm asumming that any of my components is causing the issue.

Even brand new, some components are defective.  It can be a problem with how they were shipped to a store or you, or it can be something that slipped through a companies quality control.  Its why the offer warranties at all.

Take your 3060ti, it could have single bad thermal sensor and it runs a bit hotter in your case than your friends...so that is when the problem hits.  Like its over temp is going off at 85, and in you friends case it got to 84 but in yours it gets to 86.

Next I have just not played with Nvidia software as much as AMD's, so I am not as sure as how you under-volt one of those....but it would be worth it to test.  As in raise the thermal limit, and lower the over all power and speed of the card and see if that helps.  Also again, you may want to apply new thermal paste as well, because even new cards can have less than ideal applications of it.

On 6/9/2023 at 11:38 PM, DarkWaterSong said:

Even brand new, some components are defective.  It can be a problem with how they were shipped to a store or you, or it can be something that slipped through a companies quality control.  Its why the offer warranties at all.

Take your 3060ti, it could have single bad thermal sensor and it runs a bit hotter in your case than your friends...so that is when the problem hits.  Like its over temp is going off at 85, and in you friends case it got to 84 but in yours it gets to 86.

Next I have just not played with Nvidia software as much as AMD's, so I am not as sure as how you under-volt one of those....but it would be worth it to test.  As in raise the thermal limit, and lower the over all power and speed of the card and see if that helps.  Also again, you may want to apply new thermal paste as well, because even new cards can have less than ideal applications of it.

Just an update

I installed an used PSU from a friend and it works fine, it doesn't have any of the problems that I had while the previous PSU was installed, so I may have to return it.

Big thanks to everyone!