1592 Bad Sectors on the disk surface.

Hello. I just want to ask how severe this problem was because I wasn't aware of it until a random video in TikTok told me to check my disk health with this program called Hard Disk Sentinel. I'm so fucking surprised that my hard disk health is at 9%, and I have a lot of data here.

Any tips or suggestions? 

image.png

Copy it ALL off now, when it breaks there's no saving it. Did windows not tell you about it lol? 

Also unless it's your main drive then power it down. 

* reads the headline* so a disk in the midst of dying then. Call it late stage 4 disk drive cancer.  They all eventually go..  got about a 5 year service life.  Like Pitt bulls.  They get cancer too.  SOP is to get any data on it backed up and toss the thing.  Or take a sledge hammer to depending on if you have a data destruction service or not and how sensitive the data is. Data destruction services generally shread them.  Little metal pieces.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1592 Bad Sectors on the disk surface.

download(2).jpeg.5a941726ef534ecff2d45819dda6da92.jpeg

Maybe i should go check my laptop just incase cause ive never bothered checking it

Disk is basically fucked and youll wanna backup any important data

Unless youd like to reuse the platters just destroy/incinerate them, rest of the hdd you can toy around with rather than just throwing it away, maybe use those magnets or something, or atleast just recycle the thing

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

download(2).jpeg.5a941726ef534ecff2d45819dda6da92.jpeg

Maybe i should go check my laptop just incase cause ive never bothered checking it

Disk is basically fucked and youll wanna backup any important data

Unless youd like to reuse the platters just destroy/incinerate them, rest of the hdd you can toy around with rather than just throwing it away, maybe use those magnets or something, or atleast just recycle the thing

The magnets onside are also fun to play with. Very high gauss.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I like to balance them on their side and hit ‘em as hard as I can with an 8 pound sledge until the sides split open.  Bends the platters where the data is real good and it makes the magnets easy to get at.  This doesn’t make the platters completely unreadable ever, but it does make doing so very expensive. If you actually have truly sensitive data they need to be shredded.  That makes it real real hard till the scrap is melted down at which point it’s impossible.

Edited by Bombastinator

49 minutes ago, deadlou666 said:

Copy it ALL off now, when it breaks there's no saving it. Did windows not tell you about it lol? 

Also unless it's your main drive then power it down. 

Windows didn't tell me. Does it suppose to tell you that? If yes then how?

9 minutes ago, GiyuuPH said:

Windows didn't tell me. Does it suppose to tell you that? If yes then how?

HDDs aren’t commonly used anymore.  It will tell you if it fails.  It won’t tell you if it’s very close to failure though, which is what people are saying I think.  The ideal time to replace something is just before it fails.  That way you get maximum or very near maximum use while not having to deal with data loss.  That drive looks to me like it could fail at any time.  Might even be able to push it for a year, but the risk is already non zero.

Edited by Bombastinator

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

HDDs aren’t commonly used anymore.  It will tell you if it fails.  It won’t tell you if it’s very close to failure though, which is what people are saying I think.

This is out of topic but I'm OK with backing up every single one of my files, but dude. My operating system is on an SSD, but my boot disk is on an HDD. How am I supposed to transfer the EFI nonsense to my SSD without performing a new installation?

Just now, GiyuuPH said:

This is out of topic but I'm OK with backing up every single one of my files, but dude. My operating system is on an SSD, but my boot disk is on an HDD. How am I supposed to transfer the EFI nonsense to my SSD without performing a new installation?

No idea.  If you have multiple drives and you replace one of them with the same data on it I’m not sure it will care.  You might have to change the pointers though if the new drive has a different name.

Windows doesn't know the sectors are bad since they are not affecting the file system or the data on the disk, data is being moved to spare good sectors by the drive logic, when there are no more good sectors you will start to encounter errors reading & writing with that drive and Windows will start to throw up errors as the file system becomes corrupted.

Backup the data and replace the drive ASAP.

2 hours ago, GiyuuPH said:

19000 S/S cycles in 440 days, that's a lot.

Laptop hard drive...probably sustained a shock too much. It's always been a mystery to me how hard drives survived at all in a laptop

(I know about shock sensors, still...). I'd say forget hard drives in laptops.

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

8 minutes ago, leclod said:

19000 S/S cycles in 440 days, that's a lot.

Laptop hard drive...probably sustained a shock too much. It's always been a mystery to me how hard drives survived at all in a laptop

(I know about shock sensors, still...). I'd say forget hard drives in laptops.

How did HDD drives survive in laptops?  Rubber mounting and self parking heads.  Basically all HDDs have self parking heads now.

HDDs are real real slow.  Normally the only place they are used is when one wants as much random access data as one can get.   I haven’t seen a 2.5” HDD in a laptop for some time

Edited by Bombastinator

24 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

How did HDD drives survive in laptops?  Rubber mounting and self parking heads.  Basically all HDDs have self parking heads now.

Rubber is no answer to shocks to me.

Accelerometers that sense drops (and park heads) are an answer but I'd still like to see it to believe it. Because shocks often happens very fast.

Self parking heads, you mean that heads are parked when the laptop is turned OFF? Ok, but shocks also happen when the laptop is ON.

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

9 minutes ago, leclod said:

Rubber is no answer to shocks to me.

Accelerometers that sense drops (and park heads) are an answer but I'd still like to see it to believe it. Because shocks often happens very fast.

Self parking heads, you mean that heads are parked when the laptop is turned OFF. Ok, but shocks also happen when the laptop is ON.

Huh?!  I didn’t say that.  I was replying to someone that said that.

As to the whole head parking thing I’m just relaying what I was told in the early ‘90s when I asked the same question. The rubber isn’t for knock shock absorption it’s for drop absorption.  (Getting a shock resistant hard drive that could be put in laptops was a holy grail in the ‘80s)

Edited by Bombastinator