Does anyone except Ubiquity make 5-10 gigabit entry level enterprise switches?

Nocturn

I've been using aruba switches and AP in the past, but now am switching to a 5 gigabit infrastructure. I've tried to see if anyone except Mikrotik and Ubiquity makes 5/10Gb entry level enetrprise switches and cannot find any. Is this really the case or am I missing something?(I need something higher than flex 10 by Ubiquity, but <=24 port switch so getting USW-48 does not make much sense to me  )

1 hour ago, Nocturn said:

I've been using aruba switches and AP in the past, but now am switching to a 5 gigabit infrastructure. I've tried to see if anyone except Mikrotik and Ubiquity makes 5/10Gb entry level enetrprise switches and cannot find any. Is this really the case or am I missing something?(I need something higher than flex 10 by Ubiquity, but <=24 port switch so getting USW-48 does not make much sense to me  )

I can find some Netgear, Aruba, Cisco and Dells in some local stores. Also Huawei, HP, Ubiquity, D-link.

10Gb switches seem to be cheaper than 5Gb switches as well. Ubiquity XG24 looks like a good price at 1230 EUR. Netgears seem to start at (Europe) 2000 EUR .

5 hours ago, Naijin said:

I can find some Netgear, Aruba, Cisco and Dells in some local stores. Also Huawei, HP, Ubiquity, D-link.

10Gb switches seem to be cheaper than 5Gb switches as well. Ubiquity XG24 looks like a good price at 1230 EUR. Netgears seem to start at (Europe) 2000 EUR .

That's because 10Gbit switches have existed for ages in enterprise, but N-BASE-T is relatively new in comparison.

Even now, its mostly that on newer switches you get 2.5Gbit and 5Gbit for free on 10Gbit ports, but 2.5Gbit is a lot cheaper and arguably more useful as it works on older cabling.  If you're going 5Gbit, you might as well go 10Gbit as the NICs are just as expensive and you may need newer cables anyway.

Plus 10Gbit you also have the option of SFP+ where you can go fibre or DAC, which use less power and so less heat.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Mikrotik and ubiquiti will be the cheapest options for new 10/5/2.5 gb switches. You might be able to get a cheaper one used on ebay, but most older 10gb switches don't support 2.5 or 5 gb. My choice would be the Ubiquiti xg24.

4 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

That's because 10Gbit switches have existed for ages in enterprise, but N-BASE-T is relatively new in comparison.

Even now, its mostly that on newer switches you get 2.5Gbit and 5Gbit for free on 10Gbit ports, but 2.5Gbit is a lot cheaper and arguably more useful as it works on older cabling.  If you're going 5Gbit, you might as well go 10Gbit as the NICs are just as expensive and you may need newer cables anyway.

Plus 10Gbit you also have the option of SFP+ where you can go fibre or DAC, which use less power and so less heat.

The issue, is the building: lines only up to 5Gbit

13 hours ago, Nocturn said:

The issue, is the building: lines only up to 5Gbit

I agree that having multi-gig might be a good idea if you're concerned the cabling isn't up to it.

You might find some do 10Gbit and some do 2.5Gbit, even if you think they should all be capable of 5Gbit.  Depends if the cable was over-engineered, hasn't degraded or become damaged, isn't run near mains cabling causing interference and met the rating in the first place.

But given 5Gbit practically don't exist, and those that do cost more than you can find Intel 10Gbit card for - you're better off going multi-gig IMO.  Its problematic given old 10Gbit switches that pre-date multi-gig are a lot cheaper, though fortunately some Intel 10Gbit NICs got software upgraded to support it.  Not aware of any switches having that luxury due to them being so efficient due to being hardware optimised for the job.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On Ubiquiti's side I decided to run Their USW-Aggregation with some of their 1 / 2.5 / 5 / 10 GB SFP+ Modules (Early Access when I bought them)

Can work out quite expensive but works for my needs.