Are EPOS H6PRO's Good? Any other headset recommendations?

venomtail
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

I recently tried out the Epos+Drop PC38X and it's a good overall headset. I just had to return it because it was very uncomfortable for me. Since most reviewers say it is pretty comfortable i'll throw that up to my particular head shape. They're light, sound good and have a good mic. They basically took the very popular Sennheiser HD600 and put a mic on it. I never had any problems with game audio getting picked up by a boom mic. Not with my Modmic and Amiron combo, and not with any other headset i've owned.

So it looks like my current Headsets have had their mic die and taken the connection with it. I'll test some more to 100% confirm my Clouds are dead and not the port but in the mean time, I need to start considering a replacement. 

Ideally:

Closed. I use my headset to play competitive shooters or talk to friends whilst playing these competitive games. I'd hate it to have sound leak back into my mic. Already sometimes was the case with my Clouds... so sound must also be good for games, hearing footsteps etc.

Has to have a mic.

Uses jacks for connection. USB as an option might be nice? Just pretty sure I'd have to swap in Windows the output device if I switch.

With that, I've come to the EPOS H6PRO's. Are they any good? Have I bought into the marketing? Anything I should know about them? Any alternatives? The only one's I've sort of seen are the Sennheiser HD 569's but they are more expensive + I gotta buy the mic separate?

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

19 hours ago, venomtail said:

With that, I've come to the EPOS H6PRO's. Are they any good? Have I bought into the marketing? Anything I should know about them? Any alternatives? The only one's I've sort of seen are the Sennheiser HD 569's but they are more expensive + I gotta buy the mic separate?

Their not bad but for a bit more you can get a wireless Logitech PRO X. It 30 bucks more expensive but it's wireless and has a better frequency curve (though losing a bit in the sub bass). IGN likes the pro x better and rated them 9.5 vs 7 

Logitech Pro X Headset (981-000906) - PCPartPicker

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Have you considered getting a separate mic and headphone? Headsets have more potential to just leak audio into calls due to proximity to the headphone or just potentially shotty electronics. Separating them both and setting up the mic properly you can use and open back plenty of us here do for gaming without anyone hearing my game audio

I recently tried out the Epos+Drop PC38X and it's a good overall headset. I just had to return it because it was very uncomfortable for me. Since most reviewers say it is pretty comfortable i'll throw that up to my particular head shape. They're light, sound good and have a good mic. They basically took the very popular Sennheiser HD600 and put a mic on it. I never had any problems with game audio getting picked up by a boom mic. Not with my Modmic and Amiron combo, and not with any other headset i've owned.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 hours ago, rice guru said:

Have you considered getting a separate mic and headphone? Headsets have more potential to just leak audio into calls due to proximity to the headphone or just potentially shotty electronics. Separating them both and setting up the mic properly you can use and open back plenty of us here do for gaming without anyone hearing my game audio

I fear a separate microphone will get in the way of my hands if it stands on my desk, block the screen. Then I'd have to get an arm. Not only is that more expensive but I don't really have anywhere to attach the arm to. Back of desk in terms of reach is blocked off by my monitor and speakers.

I think it's best I keep it simple, especially when I'm not an audio enthusiast yet. One day when I can redo my room then I'll consider proper audio setup.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

6 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I see one offer on Amazon. Is the open back not a concern, especially for sound leaks? If im on voice chat or trying to listen to enemy sounds in comp games?

7 hours ago, filpo said:

Their not bad but for a bit more you can get a wireless Logitech PRO X. It 30 bucks more expensive but it's wireless and has a better frequency curve (though losing a bit in the sub bass). IGN likes the pro x better and rated them 9.5 vs 7 

Logitech Pro X Headset (981-000906) - PCPartPicker

Not sure of wireless yet. Is the audio delay not too bad? If not, is it because of the GHz signal, if so, will it not nuke every other wireless device in its vircinity like the one time I tried Razers line of wireless pheripherals? Turned the mouse on and wifi/bluetooth for everything was nuked.

Does the battery not age? Not uncommon for me to have like 12h sessions.

1 minute ago, venomtail said:

I see one offer on Amazon. Is the open back not a concern, especially for sound leaks? If im on voice chat or trying to listen to enemy sounds in comp games?

Open and closed is mostly a preference thing. Locating enemy sounds - if anything - is probably even more accurate with open backed headphones as the sound doesn't feel like it's "inside your head" all the time.

Open back is only a problem when you have a loud environment or maybe a partner that would be disturbed by the sound leak.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

6 minutes ago, venomtail said:

Turned the mouse on and wifi/bluetooth for everything was nuked.

Does the battery not age? Not uncommon for me to have like 12h sessions.

I would go for these then (their the same but 100 bucks cheaper than either) Logitech Pro X 7.1 Channel Headset (981-000817) - PCPartPicker

Current parts list

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll keep the microphone setup simple and I've come to 3 options.

@filpo@rice guru@Stahlmann

Looking at 3 headsets right now. Which one might be the best sounding one? I think I want to try open back, yolo, life's short. Maybe the drop is worth it...? What do guys think?

The options are (unless you find something else):

2 minutes ago, venomtail said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll keep the microphone setup simple and I've come to 3 options.

Looking at 3 headsets right now. Which one might be the best sounding one? I think I want to try open back, yolo, life's short. Maybe the drop is worth it...? What do guys think?

Even going off the headband, the DROP's look the most comfortable, then the logitech, then the h6 pros

Overall, at the price I think the logitech's are the best, but if you wanna go open back, the DROP's seem the best (as well as being comfortable)
Why did you want closed back in the first place? Was it personal preference or just cuz you don't wanna hear any annoying roommates?

Current parts list

26 minutes ago, filpo said:

Even going off the headband, the DROP's look the most comfortable, then the logitech, then the h6 pros

Overall, at the price I think the logitech's are the best, but if you wanna go open back, the DROP's seem the best (as well as being comfortable)
Why did you want closed back in the first place? Was it personal preference or just cuz you don't wanna hear any annoying roommates?

For the last 10+ years all I've known is closed back headphones. Didn't know an alternative existed. Fear of the unknown lets say. Why step out of a comfortable safeplace.

That being said, I yolo often and dive head first into different stuff for the sake of trying it out. I feel the same looking at that Drop Headset. Seems most convincing. Open back, why not.

5 hours ago, venomtail said:

Of those 3 I lean towards the PC 38x and the g pro x I'm not a big fan of the h6 pro. 

8 hours ago, venomtail said:

I fear a separate microphone will get in the way of my hands if it stands on my desk, block the screen. Then I'd have to get an arm. Not only is that more expensive but I don't really have anywhere to attach the arm to. Back of desk in terms of reach is blocked off by my monitor and speakers.

I think it's best I keep it simple, especially when I'm not an audio enthusiast yet. One day when I can redo my room then I'll consider proper audio setup.

Yeah a mic won't be an issue if you invest in a stand but I will admit stand plus good mic plus good headphones is beyond your budget currently 

On 6/2/2023 at 9:48 AM, Stahlmann said:

They've just arrived. Everything works so yea, there must have been like freak 3 points of failure.

Very unsettling being able to hear my voice, keyboard, neighbour mowing his garden, the spike in fans speeding up and everything around me whilst playing but audio itself doesn't seem to have impacted my ability to hear stuff in games. Hopefully I'll get used to it over a few days of using open back design headphones.

1 hour ago, venomtail said:

They've just arrived. Everything works so yea, there must have been like freak 3 points of failure.

Very unsettling being able to hear my voice, keyboard, neighbour mowing his garden, the spike in fans speeding up and everything around me whilst playing but audio itself doesn't seem to have impacted my ability to hear stuff in games. Hopefully I'll get used to it over a few days of using open back design headphones.

lol yeah if your used to very isolated headphones the openness of and open back will be something to get used to. give it a week but if your still into it the return button is there.