3D Printing - Best budget printer?

AlexAngelliux

Hey all,

I'm certain this gets asked about a bajillion times so if a post exists that still contains relevant and up to date recommendations let me know.

I want to get into 3D printing, and am looking for a good budget option. I'm not looking to print anything massive, mainly just tinkering with making my own raspberry pi cases and maybe a handheld. Hoping for something that is easy to work with, and preferably compact as space is limited in my room. My dad would probably use it as well for making parts for his model trains. Does anyone have any good recommendations for less than $300 US? I want to spend as little as possible as I am broke.

Appreciate any info provided.

ender 3 pro

you dont need an aio for anything but i9 cpus or heavy oc jobs just get an nh-d15 or peerless assassin

MARK THE SOLUTION AS SOLUTION

i am 14 so i may be wrong sometimes

@Bob__ is a w

If you live within driving distance of a Microcenter, they sell Ender 3 Pro's for $99 (with coupon, otherwise they're normally $200)

Dollar for dollar it's the best deal you'll find anywhere for what you get. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

If you live within driving distance of a Microcenter, they sell Ender 3 Pro's for $99 (with coupon, otherwise they're normally $200)

I don't live near a Micro Center unfortunately. Looking on Amazon it seems my only option is to get it for $200. 

I'd consider the Prusa MINI. It was my first printer, it's still my go-to printer for most things. It's never really given me trouble, and has been able to handle Nylon, and flexibles with very few issues.

• Around 300 450 bucks
  • It's slightly small
    • It can print most projects I come across, but size can be an issue.
  • It's small!
    • It's easy to fit into an enclosure.
  • It's super quiet
  • It's super reliable

It's not the most printer you can get for the price, but it's plug-and-play. Click-and-print

EDIT: I was wrong about the price. Turns out they are like 450, sorry.

Edited by BigJSaucy

10 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

99 Bucks? That's really hard to pass up.

give wanhao a look.

the D12 is basicly an ender 3 pro on some solid spices.

they start at 230x230mm build plate, and go up from there if you want to print bigger things.

they're also available with direct drive extruder, which helps with stuff that doesnt handle bowden very well (flexible fillaments, but also just springy plastics)

7 minutes ago, BigJSaucy said:

99 Bucks? That's really hard to pass up.

I'm once again regretting living where I do. My girlfriend lives close to a Micro Center, so I may send her to pick one up for me and have her ship it, since whenever I visit I don't drive and wouldn't be able to bring it home myself. Just depends on how expensive shipping would be and if the unit would survive shipping.

I would avoid bowden extruders, but that may be because since both my printers are direct drive I'm always the one having to print flex stuff for friends who can't 😄

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

I would avoid bowden extruders, but that may be because since both my printers are direct drive I'm always the one having to print flex stuff for friends who can't 😄

Gonna be honest with you, I'm not really sure what this means.

Having the extruder motor on the print head itself instead of it being on the frame 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Having the extruder motor on the print head itself instead of it being on the frame 

i mean i got an ender 5 s1 for my school bc of the direct drive but its been ging us nothing but problems on the z axis

you dont need an aio for anything but i9 cpus or heavy oc jobs just get an nh-d15 or peerless assassin

@Bob__ is a w

1 minute ago, spaghet rat said:

i mean i got an ender 5 s1 for my school bc of the direct drive but its been ging us nothing but problems on the z axis

we have been screwing with it for months and we cant get it to work (we go to the same screw)

its been printing super fragile stuff calibration issue maybe

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

i'm such a direct drive guy that i've designed my own bracket to move the motor ~3mm lower down to the nozzle... but bowden does have an advantage when it comes to "sheer mass being swung around"

although - for the mass problem, someone on the forum recently brought up the idea of adding weight to the top of the printer, to balance vibrations caused by head movements as just XY movements instead of the frame having to catch all of that.

4 minutes ago, AlexAngelliux said:

Gonna be honest with you, I'm not really sure what this means.

with "direct drive" the motor that feeds the fillament is on the extruder (the bit that swings around while printing). it means the distance between the motor and nozzle tip is smaller, so you have more control over feeding when you have flexible fillaments, and less friction on the fillament, which means less chance for slipping. with the feed setup i currently have on my printer having fillament jam is essentially impossible, between the clamping force, the drive gears, and the hotend.

with "bowden" that motor is "somewhere else" (creality puts it on the gantry, ultimaker puts it next to the fillament spool holder), which means there's much less weight being thrown around, which means less vibrations, less stress on the belts, etc. basicly higher theoretical print speed.

1 minute ago, spaghet rat said:

how is the Z axis related to it being direct drive? perhaps just some calibration is in order?

if you mean layers are coming apart - try overextruding about 5% or so. some plastics just dont like to stick / some spools of plastic arent exactly made to spec.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if you mean layers are coming apart - try overextruding about 5% or so. some plastics just dont like to stick / some spools of plastic arent exactly made to spec.

we tried that im not saying its an extrusion isue but it consistently prints like 3-4 mm of the bed and zoffset changes nothing

@Bob__ is a w

10 minutes ago, spaghet rat said:

we tried that im not saying its an extrusion isue but it consistently prints like 3-4 mm of the bed and zoffset changes nothing

how about some calibration and bed leveling? sounds like your bed is just 3-4mm below the Z min stop switch.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

how about some calibration and bed leveling? sounds like your bed is just 3-4mm below the Z min stop switch.

tried that both with paper and crtouch i have lost so much sleep over this 

@Bob__ is a w

42 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but bowden does have an advantage when it comes to "sheer mass being swung around"

It's one of those things that are said a lot but I've never seen actually being a problem in real life...

F@H

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, Kilrah said:

It's one of those things that are said a lot but I've never seen actually being a problem in real life...

weight is a problem if you try to print faster. the extruder on my wanhao i3 plus is so stupidly heavy that it has ringing artifacts at any speed beyond 60mm/s, no matter what you do.

11 hours ago, AlexAngelliux said:

Hey all,

I'm certain this gets asked about a bajillion times so if a post exists that still contains relevant and up to date recommendations let me know.

I want to get into 3D printing, and am looking for a good budget option. I'm not looking to print anything massive, mainly just tinkering with making my own raspberry pi cases and maybe a handheld. Hoping for something that is easy to work with, and preferably compact as space is limited in my room. My dad would probably use it as well for making parts for his model trains. Does anyone have any good recommendations for less than $300 US? I want to spend as little as possible as I am broke.

Appreciate any info provided.

I would recommend a Sovol SV06, as it get good reviews and is basically a Prusa MK3 copy: https://sovol3d.com/products/sovol-sv06-direct-drive-3d-printer

I has z-probe and direct drive and is easily upgraded with klipper in the future. 

S6A2983.jpg?v=1684218610

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

• 10 months later...

Get an A1 mini from Bambu labs you won’t regret it unless you like mental punishment stay away from an ender or clone

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

1 minute ago, Salacious B Crum said:

Get an A1 mini from Bambu labs you won’t regret it unless you like mental punishment stay away from an ender or clone

I ended up picking up a Neptune 3 Plus from Elegoo, it's been great so far.