Bang for the buck laptop under $350???

Hi, so idk where to even begin looking for decent laptops so I thought I may as well ask here, looking for just a plain old laptop for $350 or lower, I’m looking for the best bang for my buck here, needs to run just the regular school programs while not being a chrome book and run basic games like Minecraft and the Sims 4, essentially just need for it school work and programs and not heavy cute games even something like Slime Rancher 2, please help, thanks y’all :3

11 minutes ago, eazly1solos said:

Hi, so idk where to even begin looking for decent laptops so I thought I may as well ask here, looking for just a plain old laptop for $350 or lower, I’m looking for the best bang for my buck here, needs to run just the regular school programs while not being a chrome book and run basic games like Minecraft and the Sims 4, essentially just need for it school work and programs and not heavy cute games even something like Slime Rancher 2, please help, thanks y’all :3

Definitely not going to be under $350, unless used and old... both of which you won't want. Lenovo or HP would be your best bets.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/666315/lenovo-ideapad-3-14itl05-14-laptop-computer-platinum-grey

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

Thinkpad T495

without overclocking they are okay but with it they go pretty hard.

8 minutes ago, eazly1solos said:

the Sims 4

not gonna happen on a $350 laptop, for all the loading screens and relatively mediocre graphics.. it runs like absolute shyte.

basicly.. just try to find something $500 range that's on clearance.

Another budget laptop thread, another recommendation for used laptops from me.

Thinkpad or a surface device would be my picks. I got a surface laptop 2 for about that money in great condition and I am very happy with it. Does everything I've wanted so far for my engineering studies, not going to game especially amazing though as there is no dedicated graphics card

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Thinkpad or a surface device would be my picks

I've always slanted towards Dells for this because they are *so* ubiquitous and so when IT liquidates whatever generation off the bottom of their stack you can snag a reasonable one for dirt. Is this no longer true? 

5950X/4090FE primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

10 hours ago, OddOod said:

I've always slanted towards Dells for this because they are *so* ubiquitous and so when IT liquidates whatever generation off the bottom of their stack you can snag a reasonable one for dirt. Is this no longer true? 

Having worked close to people handling pro grade DELLs for customers I'd never want to touch one. Seem like an absolute mess when it comes to the BIOS for nothing you can't get from someone else.

Obviously not as big of a deal to a private customer looking for a second hand laptop but I don't see the point when you can just get something without that bios that is otherwise equal.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 5/31/2023 at 1:26 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Having worked close to people handling pro grade DELLs for customers I'd never want to touch one. Seem like an absolute mess when it comes to the BIOS for nothing you can't get from someone else.

Obviously not as big of a deal to a private customer looking for a second hand laptop but I don't see the point when you can just get something without that bios that is otherwise equal.

Thanks. For my laptops I don't really mess with BIOS, though I did get massively enraged one day when I discovered one of my old dell laptops literally had a BIOS lock on it to cap the RAM at 4GB (x64 architecture of course, I checked). That thing does still live running PopOS as the audio source for my parents' patio speakers

5950X/4090FE primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup