Frustrated with my current headphones.

Roalkege

Hey, I currently own the Senheiser BT450 HD and am totally dissatisfied with them. The bass is felt non-existent and when I activate ANC, I have a little more bass, but constantly disturbing noises. After about 1.5 years I also had to replace the ear pads.
Now I was thinking about what to buy.... I would take normal headphones, since I have a cheap microphone, but if it is a headset, that is also no problem.
First I considered buying the beyerdynamic DT770 pro. But there are relatively mixed opinions about it.... A friend of mine has the Corsair HS80 and is happy with it. I am very undecided.
I would very much like to use it for gaming, but also listen to music (hardstyle, frenchcore). And not spend more than 200€? Gladly so around 130-140€. I also do not want to buy an AMP. Whether wireless or wired does not matter to me.

How are you listening with those headphones? Are you using them weird or wireless?

If you are using them weird, are you using them on the front port of your PC or the one at the back? (or are you using a laptop/dock/etc)

According to the Rtings.com test, bass and treble are actually a strong point of those headphones. So at least the amount of bass will not dramatically change if you get different headphones, but the definition of it can. That is of course only if they are driven correctly.

5 minutes ago, adm0n said:

How are you listening with those headphones? Are you using them weird or wireless?

If you are using them weird, are you using them on the front port of your PC or the one at the back? (or are you using a laptop/dock/etc)

According to the Rtings.com test, bass and treble are actually a strong point of those headphones. So at least the amount of bass will not dramatically change if you get different headphones, but the definition of it can. That is of course only if they are driven correctly.

I'm using them wireless over Bluetooth AptX.

Should I try to use them wired?

And I'm mean Senheiser HD 450BT. Wrong order.

4 minutes ago, Roalkege said:

I'm using them wireless over Bluetooth AptX.

I hope you are using aptX low latency, otherwise you'll also have very bad latency.

Normally they should sound as intended when running them via bluetooth. But could you check if you are using the bluetooth hands free audio version of the headphones?

(serach for Sound settings -> click on more sound settings and then check there if your headphones show up twice)

4 minutes ago, Roalkege said:

Should I try to use them wired?

Sure you can try that out and see if they sound different. But preferably use the port at the back of your PC rather than the front panel audio connector

I hear a lot of EDM and this I mentioned in my own thread about getting my first pair of open back headphones. I was recommended the beyerdynamics TYGR 300 R and I really like them. Sound is clear and good, soundstage is super wide and with EQ'ing you can actually get a tat boomy bass. Not as much as with closed backs but the boominess is actually there.

I run mine with: 
+ 2dB @ 65Hz
+ 4dB @ 125Hz
+ 2dB @ 200Hz
- using Equalizer APO (and Peace), also with a tat of extra treble. I like the "sparkle", hehe. I use a DAC with my TYGR 300 R, the FX Audio DAC X6. 

I will recommend you the TYGR 300 R 🙂 They also not that expensive honestly. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

No amp required and that price point; all I have personal experience with is the Phillips Fidelio X3 (or X2HR) and the Rode NTH-100  both of which are amazing headphones in their own right.

The Rode NTH-100 is an incredible and pleasing headphone, it sounds great on anything while producing full sound throughout the spectrum.  They're comfortable with cooling pads and without a doubt what I would purchase if I were you.  There has been a controversy with the ratcheting mechanism breaking for some people and I was one of those people.  My first set got demolished when I laid on them but Rode replaced them even when I explicitly told them that it was 100% due to extreme abuse.  That set had no issues for several months before I trashed them.  The second set started to crack within a month and I super glued them and they're fine now.  I just emailed Rode about this flaw and they assured me that it was a few bad batches and they're sending me a second pair as a gift!!!!  Don't let the appearance fool you either, they fit large heads and ears.  An audiophile friend of mine shook his head when he saw them and said no these will never........ oh wait they're really comfortable.  Rich bass good mid's no sibilance in the high's...... honestly everyone should have them esp people without a dac and amp.

Second would be the Fidelio X3 or X2HR;  These are amazing at soundstage and imaging while they have an overall warm sound to them, not bass heavy and not a bright headphone.  The bass is present but not strong.  They really like hybrid tubes too.  They are the defacto headphone in this price range but that's because I haven't swayed the populus of this forum to try the Rode.

I will say that the Tygr 300 R is supposed to be excellent but I haven't heard them.  I have heard the DT770-80ohm and they're a great headphone but they lack the full bodied character of the nth100 or the silky sound of the X3.  Don't get me wrong, they are a great all rounder and have their own charm but a jack of trades and master of none.

Rode NTH-100: Full sound on any device

Fidelio X3/X2HR: Warm silky sound with excellent soundstage and imaging

DT770-80: Accurate studio grade

I will add that Beyerdynamic does an excellent job at making replacement parts for their headphones and Zeos did an entire pad video on all kinds of Beyerdynamic headphones, so that's another way you can have fun and tune the sound.  While the Rode and Phillips don't need or want pads and I don't even think they can be swapped (but can probably be replaced)

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

On 5/30/2023 at 8:53 AM, Roalkege said:

Hey, I currently own the Senheiser BT450 HD and am totally dissatisfied with them. The bass is felt non-existent and when I activate ANC, I have a little more bass, but constantly disturbing noises. After about 1.5 years I also had to replace the ear pads.
Now I was thinking about what to buy.... I would take normal headphones, since I have a cheap microphone, but if it is a headset, that is also no problem.
First I considered buying the beyerdynamic DT770 pro. But there are relatively mixed opinions about it.... A friend of mine has the Corsair HS80 and is happy with it. I am very undecided.
I would very much like to use it for gaming, but also listen to music (hardstyle, frenchcore). And not spend more than 200€? Gladly so around 130-140€. I also do not want to buy an AMP. Whether wireless or wired does not matter to me.

BT450 has plenty of bass you have hearing issues. You're not going to be satisfied with any headphones with the low-end-hearing deficiencies you have. ANY headset is going to sound like ass even compared to BT450's. Stick with what you have you're chasing a dragon that doesn't exist. Go see an audiologist.

Do you wear glasses by any chance? Sennheiser's newer closed backs can be very seal-dependent.