7970 crossfire vs 7990 for 1440p

CoolBeans

I am building a new computer and I dont know what to get 7970 crossfire vs 7990 for 1440p

Budget is 1000$ for GPU's

I am building a new computer and I dont know what to get 7970 crossfire vs 7990 for 1440p

Budget is 1000$ for GPU's

7990 personally. 

lower heat signature, very similar performance, lower overall tdp, lower acoustic noise, bragging rights, and fairly overclockable as well. 

7990, because the prototype drivers (hopefully) gonna be released will be best.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

7990 should be good, but it'll cost a little more than two 7970s.

With a 7990 should be easier to control the heat in the case.

2x7970s have the benifit of looks.

I guess you could mine with one card and play games with the other too.

Id like a 7990, but two 7970s has me because it'll be more cost effective.

get a titan or save a little more and get 2 780s

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Titan and after 1 or 2 years get a 2nd Titan or sell your Titan and get something from the 700 series that is better(I dont know how they will scale in comparison to the Titan). With the Titan you will have super GPU power and with 6Gb VRAM you will be able to handle 4k resolutions easily.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

LOL anandtech.

The 7990 is $1000 here:

http://ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=7990

and it consistently performs around the same as 7970s in crossfire (under $800), as shown here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-review-benchmark,3486-5.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-review-benchmark,3486-9.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-review-benchmark,3486-10.html

It doesn't make sense to get the 7990, under any circumstance

The 7990 is $1000 here:

http://ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=7990

and it consistently performs around the same as 7970s in crossfire (under $800), as shown here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-review-benchmark,3486-5.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-review-benchmark,3486-9.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-review-benchmark,3486-10.html

It doesn't make sense to get the 7990, under any circumstance.

you... just proved my point. look at the prototype drivers and the results. 

i don't see what you're getting at. you're saying 7990 is bad, if it performs just as good as 7970's, doesn't have anywhere near the frame stuttering, has lower heat, power, and noise performance WHY would i be wrong in suggesting it exactly?

you... just proved my point. look at the prototype drivers and the results. 

i don't see what you're getting at. you're saying 7990 is bad, if it performs just as good as 7970's, doesn't have anywhere near the frame stuttering, has lower heat, power, and noise performance WHY would i be wrong in suggesting it exactly?

The horrible value. It costs $200 more, and that's comparing it to the cheapest 7990 I could find. Most go for $1050-1100, so it makes its performance per dollar even worse. Go ahead and play the "lower noise, heat" card, it's not going to save you

LAWL, save me? this isn't some kind of judge and the jury. i'm sorry i don't apply your exact philosophies and ideals to my own perceptions. it is so horrible that i could ever have my own opinion and recommendation.

we should change the domain name to dave tech tips, because you obviously know everything about life and technology.

but again, i apologize. obviously you know so much better than everyone else in the world. why look at those minimum framerates

tomb-raider-average.png

why those 7970's just crush the 7990 with that practical fps.

why look at that input lag 

bioshock-variance.png

why, the input lag is barely different at all. 

crysis-variance.png

why, i could never imagine why someone would own a luxury product. lets get rid of mercedes, lexus, porsche, audi. 

you know, acura is just like honda, lets get rid of acura. because a vtech civic matches some acuras in performance right? 

If you were going to get 2 cards for crossfire get 7970 ghz editions then you should see a decent margin over the 7990.

• 2 weeks later...

but again, i apologize. obviously you know so much better than everyone else in the world. why look at those minimum framerates

tomb-raider-average.png

why those 7970's just crush the 7990 with that practical fps.

why look at that input lag 

bioshock-variance.png

why, the input lag is barely different at all. 

crysis-variance.png

why, i could never imagine why someone would own a luxury product. lets get rid of mercedes, lexus, porsche, audi. 

you know, acura is just like honda, lets get rid of acura. because a vtech civic matches some acuras in performance right? 

Yeah, that completely justifies spending hundreds of dollars more for a minimum frame rate "improvement". You do realize that the minimum framerate was 59.1 in that graph you ever so kindly shared with us, that's basically the highest that most monitors can even display

simply pointing out the viability of a product for various reasons, especially pointing out things like 2 pcie slots used instead of 4+, lower thermal signature, MUCH lower acoustic signature, better input lag, significantly higher minimum framerates. more dp outputs than 7970's, and swag is a horrible reason for me to say i'd personally recommend and use a 7990 lol.

and also, people who spend on 800+ don't use 120hz or 1600p monitors? because i was under the impression someone who would throw over 800$ at a graphics solution alone probably already has a nice monitor that can display either higher resolutions or refresh rates.

simply pointing out the viability of a product for various reasons, especially pointing out things like 2 pcie slots used instead of 4+, lower thermal signature, MUCH lower acoustic signature, better input lag, significantly higher minimum framerates. more dp outputs than 7970's, and swag is a horrible reason for me to say i'd personally recommend and use a 7990 lol.

and also, people who spend on 800+ don't use 120hz or 1600p monitors? because i was under the impression someone who would throw over 800$ at a graphics solution alone probably already has a nice monitor that can display either higher resolutions or refresh rates.

What would you need more PCI-E slots for if you've already got a board that will most likely have more available? Noise depends on the cooler that it's attached to (which you could put that saved $200 towards improving, such as with a custom loop). How would multiple cards affect input lag, and a minimum frame rate of 59.1 as a worst case scenario is nothing to complain about

Get a 780.

650$ for -8.5% of titan's 1k price. Save up a bit more and get a second one down the line if you so desire.

Or maybe wait for AMD's 9xxx series to come out?

i5 3570k@4Ghz, Sapphire Radeon 6850@870/1290, Gigabyte z77 ud3h, 8GB 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM, Acer 232hl, Asus vs238h, Corsair K60, CoolerMaster Recon

The new driver AMD is working on should fix the frame time issues of all CF setups from what I understand.  Given that, two 7970's make a lot more sense than the 7990 in terms of price/performance.  You will almost certainly be able to OC them higher and you can get two regular 7970's for a little over $700 nowadays (not to mention all the extra game codes you can sell)...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

• 3 months later...

Definitely go with Crossfired HD 7970's http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752QYLK/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00752QYLK&linkCode=as2&tag=amzon0c-20 over the HD 7990 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHGNKPW/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00CHGNKPW&linkCode=as2&tag=amzon0c-20 Two 7970's will perform better, run cooler, overclock higher, and is even cheaper than the 7990. The HD 7990 is essentially two 7970's on one board. Convenient, but they had to use less efficient cooling to be able to pack everything onto one card. 

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

Aren't you the one that's always like "wait for 9970!!!!" like your life is dependent on it?

why would you even ask this question 1 month before the release of 9970...

Intel 4770k   -   Corsair Vengeance Pro CL9 16gb 1866mhz   -   Corsair Air 540   -   Gentle Typhoon AP45   -   Corsair ax1200i   -   Razer Death Adder 2013   -   Filco Majestouch 2   -   Crucial m4 256gb ssd   -   1TB Western Digital Black   -   Asus Maximus vi Formula   -   Bitspower matte black fittings   -   Black Ice sr1 240mm and 360mm Radiators   -   Swiftech mcp655   -   EK x-res pump top   -   Promochill Advanced lrt 3/8 5/8 bloodshed red tubing   -   swiftech apogee hd cpu block   -   Asus pb278q 1440p monitor   -   Razer Carcharas Headphones   -   Razer Vespula Hard Mouse Pad   -   Arctic Silver 5 TIM   -   Sapphire r9-290x   -   Ek-fc R9-290x Waterblock and Backplate

Aren't you the one that's always like "wait for 9970!!!!" like your life is dependent on it?

why would you even ask this question 1 month before the release of 9970...

Check the post date.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

The 7990 is basically 2 7970's that can't oc as much because of less cooling.

Get two 7970's unless you plan to triple or quad CF for some reason.

A single 9000 series card or 780 are also viable options.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.