PSU Suggestions

Ok so im about to buy a used 1080ti because they're decently priced and about the best i can put in my current rig which is a Dell Optiplex 3020 with a I7 4790s i found on ebay and 16 gigs of ddr3 1600mhz and a nvidia 750 my brother gave me. However my PSU is undersized 290w vs the 600w i probably need for the 1080ti. My question is what PSU should i get my motherboard only has a 4pin cpu connector and a 8 pin board connector? i think any should do if i have a 4pin and 3 8pins but im not sure and finding one is a pain

pc.jpg

Edited by Set97
im dumb and cant count pins had to fix

Old style front facing grill.  So probably no hole in the top.  Orientation will matter.  The thing will need to be able to breathe.  Iirc it was 600w for 1080tis but it was long ago and I may have that wrong.  The real bugbear is going to be the inputs though.  Dell likes to use their own power plugs.  Generally with fewer pins.  I’ve heard of adaptors being sold.  Also make sure you’ve got standardized holes for mounting it or things could get annoying fast.  Drilling holes in your case at the very least and the metal may not be thick enough to hold the thing.  PSUs are heavy.  It’s usually 4 screws through the back.   I’d say Dell of course but there is the matter of the power cables for the gpu, and Dell often doesn’t include them. Every corner they cut makes the machine a little cheaper.  Dell is famous for doing things like having wiring harnesses that don’t reach non Dell equipment and stuff.  So adaptor and screws and add that to the price of some bog standard PSU.  You could probably get away with a “C” grade unit, but I’d go “B” or higher.  Dell does some pretty scary looking power supplies but there’s generally nothing wrong with their quality IF they are used in the machine they are made for. The PSU tierlist here is out of date.  There’s probably something around though.  PSU is not the place to cheap out.  It’s the only part of your computer that can die without warning during operation and a cheap one will take other parts of your machine, some costing much more than the PSU with it when it goes (because they always go eventually). The old conventional wisdom was replace them every 5 years.  Ideally if they DON’T look like they need it.  That number has gone up.  These days I think it’s 5 years or the warranty length.  Whichever is longer.  Don’t buy one under 400w for anything, and expect to pay somewhere near $100.  The $40 one from a company no one has ever heard of may not even last the 5 years.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.