Steam games keep crashing due to slow internet. Anyone know a fix?

As the title says. I have slow internet due to the fact that the building I live in has a local area covenant that only allows us to have wired internet via one provider. As a work around most of the people in the estate use 4G home internet which advertises "25mbps down/ 1mbps up" but is more like "1mbps down / 0.0000001mbps up".

As a result, the vast majority of games that I have on my system are crashing randomly, when I validate the files on steam they all have a ton of files that failed to validate. Even after reacquiring the files the same files still fail to validate.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and if they have found a workaround?

Cheers all

For reference. The one provider we are allowed to use a wired connection for charges $149Aud per month for 50 down and 10 up, and is notorious for being unreliable

Step one would be figuring out why. 4g is radio run through a cellphone network.  So there’s going to be antennas and stuff. There may be interference, there may be a broadcast issue, many many things.  I’d complain to the carrier myself.  They might do something to improve it.  

A cellphone carrier recently put an antenna in the local church steeple.  It was cross shaped.  Apparently they do this a lot.

Finding out exactly why the landlord does this might also be useful.  It could affect how the landlord might react to this.  It’s possible he might even assist, depending on what his reasons are.  It could be a contract of some sort.  Depending on how it pays out he might actually help.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Step one would be figuring out why. 4g is radio run through a cellphone network.  So there’s going to be antennas and stuff. There may be interference, there may be a broadcast issue, many many things.  I’d complain to the carrier myself.  They might do something to improve it.  

A cellphone carrier recently put an antenna in the local church steeple.  It was cross shaped.  Apparently they do this a lot.

Oh yeah, I get that 4g is ass compared to anything wired. But it's just weird that no matter how many times I validate the files through Steam, the games still continue to crash and show that the same files are corrupted.

This happens with multiple otherwise stable PC's on Intel/AMD/Nvidia/Radeon hardware. Some of which I had at previous residences without issue. This also happens with games on the Epic launcher (though there is no file validation method that I know of)

The only common link between the systems is that they are now on this internet connection and it is breaking games somehow?

32 minutes ago, IVIarto said:

Oh yeah, I get that 4g is ass compared to anything wired. But it's just weird that no matter how many times I validate the files through Steam, the games still continue to crash and show that the same files are corrupted.

This happens with multiple otherwise stable PC's on Intel/AMD/Nvidia/Radeon hardware. Some of which I had at previous residences without issue. This also happens with games on the Epic launcher (though there is no file validation method that I know of)

The only common link between the systems is that they are now on this internet connection and it is breaking games somehow?

That’s definitely a complaint for the service provider

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Does this still happen if you turn „offline mode“ on in Steam settings?

My laptop (HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2)

Core i7-7600U (vPro) (2C; 4T), Intel HD Graphics 620, 16GB (2x8) 2133 MT/s DDR4 RAM, 512GB SATA SSD, 1080p 120hz IPS 13.3" touch Display, Windows 11 Pro (upgraded from Windows 10 Pro via registry hack)

Translation: it's trash

36 minutes ago, Floresdorf said:

Does this still happen if you turn „offline mode“ on in Steam settings?

Yup, saw this suggestion online and still had the same issues