Life is full of surprises - AMD $5,000 Ultimate Tech Upgrade

Shahrad
On 5/27/2023 at 10:28 AM, filpo said:

You know what's a surprise? The CEO Chief Visionary Officer giving his wife a 5,000 dollar upgrade. I couldn't give that to my wife and kids combined if I tried!

I believe they did it by lottery. 
He's done a bunch more with other people. 

They also offset the gain by donating to a hospital. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

10 hours ago, Arika S said:

that sounds like a you problem.

If you can't go one day (because they upload daily) without a tech video, then you might have a problem.

You have a very rude and unfriendly attitude.  Not very welcoming or respectful way to communicate with others.

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

Why? There's no stipulations on what people have to buy for their "upgrade".

Why don't they buy $5,000 dollars worth of food and donate it to a food bank?  Because it's a tech channel.

Why don't they spend $5,000 on clothes and try them on?  Because it's a tech channel.

Why don't they spend $5,000 on scratch tickets and see if they win anything? Because it's a TECH CHANNEL!

6 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Why don't they buy $5,000 dollars worth of food and donate it to a food bank?  Because it's a tech channel.

Why don't they spend $5,000 on clothes and try them on?  Because it's a tech channel.

Why don't they spend $5,000 on scratch tickets and see if they win anything? Because it's a TECH CHANNEL!

But they can...Yvonne technically gave 5k to charity. But they buy tech becausr that's who they are. They work at a tech company so they are interested in tech

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

20 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

You have a very rude an unfriendly attitude.  Not very welcoming or respectful way to communicate with others.

That's fine for you to believe that. I don't really care that much about people's opinions of me

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

When it was the Intel Upgrade Sarah pranked Linus telling him she bought $5.000 worth of a Starbucks Gift card. He actually believed her because it was within the rules. (I think she bought a CPU from Intel as well) There are lot's of things that people bought that wasn't tech and that is one thing that for me makes this series so fun. It's a lot more about the people than about just the tech.

Sure many use it for their PCs, but then for Yvonne why bother? She can pretty much have any PC she wants anyways since Linus can grab anything off the shelves off LMG if he really wants to. And he could easily call up any sponsor of them and tell them he wants to make a cool video about giving his wife the most awesome PC he can think of and they would shower him with anything.

So going off script here and just have her go bonkers and get stuff she just wants was fun, and also note that she did donate the original money. So she also did that part. If you didn't like it then I am sure there's going to be another episode with someone who goes more tech, but the fun of this series is that it has barely any limits in terms of what people can buy, so each episode can be fresh and have a lot of surprises in them. If it would be limited to just tech the series would become super boring for me.

as linus mentioned in WAN, as with this video. Would still be fun with 10-20 dongles/hubs not as a review but an look into how these dongles work or perform. With hopefully nothing blowing up. like doing a few tests not as in who is "best" or "LTT approved", but what an user would expect.

Edited by Quackers101

@LinusTech my wife really loves your floors lol. Do you know the make and model. I know crazy question

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB SL 3600mhz GPU: RTX 3060TI SSD: WD Black 1TB NVME SDD: WD Black 500GB NVME

2 hours ago, darwin006 said:

Its a bit strange the chromebook wasnt a framework laptop.

likely school wanting it as a requirement for such an ecosystem, always been a pain.

13 hours ago, cmndr said:

I believe they did it by lottery. 
He's done a bunch more with other people. 

They also offset the gain by donating to a hospital. 

Which I didn't like. I mean by all means donate to whatever you want. But now it just feels cheap. Keep your donations private. And no, that doesn't just go for Linus or other rich people. It goes for everyone. Donate because you want to do some good, not to (also) tell others about it.

16 hours ago, Arika S said:

Why? There's no stipulations on what people have to buy for their "upgrade".

Yeah she could have upgraded to a new TESLA. 

It would have made as much sense.

I mean it does use great deal of computing power....of course none from AMD that I am aware of.

Yeah sorry, there is entirely too little tech in this tech upgrade....a great deal of questionable interior design....but very little tech. 

3 hours ago, Neroon said:

Which I didn't like. I mean by all means donate to whatever you want. But now it just feels cheap. Keep your donations private. And no, that doesn't just go for Linus or other rich people. It goes for everyone. Donate because you want to do some good, not to (also) tell others about it.

Which world is better, a world where the well off gain status by donating to good causes or a world where they sleep on a pile of money?

I'd argue setting a positive example is what's going on here moreso than anything. 

And no, Linus isn't perfect. With that said... it's AMD's money so... not a bad call overall. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

8 hours ago, cmndr said:

Which world is better, a world where the well off gain status by donating to good causes or a world where they sleep on a pile of money?

I'd argue setting a positive example is what's going on here moreso than anything. 

And no, Linus isn't perfect. With that said... it's AMD's money so... not a bad call overall. 

Which world is better, beating someone to a pulp but letting them live, or a world where someone is beaten to a pulp and killed?

Yes, someone could just not be beaten, but considering you like questions with only bad 2 options, I figured you'd like these kind of questions.

13 hours ago, theninja35 said:

As an avid bird enthusiast I support birds for Yvonne. If Luke can have birds then Yvonne can too.

Adding real birds to a house where multiple cats live is just asking for trouble. (And Friskies is cheaper.)

That said, which kitty made a cameo in the sidetable segment?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 5/28/2023 at 12:27 AM, mdk777 said:

ZZZZZzzzzzz

Yeah, I have a wife and she buys complete crap based on color and style and not function.

Perhaps a AMD sponsored tech upgrade would highlight the ability to do both....function and form together.

But no, just questionable choices acquiesced. ...Real life marriage dynamic perhaps... but shit technology guidance.. 

NO ONE NEEDS more information on how to do it wrong.

The tech upgrade episodes very heavily vary from informative to more comedic/interesting. Quite a few episodes especially some of the early ones have everything that's not the computer having been bought second-hand or have to do with their specific situation. As well as, a good amount of them have had situations which Linus has later commented on where they needed to replace their power supply since they cheaped out on the power supply and transitive spikes killed it.

Dennis's video is funny but other than one possible set up for an all white PC you don't learn how to do anything right just a lot of what you should not do such as drill holes without knowing what is going to go there.

12 hours ago, ultradoggo said:

why did linus want to return the s23?

he thought it would be too small for her.

I don't know, i love my s22. i actually got it specifically because it was smaller. i hate large phones. i would actually be happy if it was a bit smaller.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 5/29/2023 at 12:26 AM, Neroon said:

Eh, I don't know, I used to agree with this sentiment but honestly, if you never tell people you donated, they assume you are greedy & never donate. if you tell them you do, people will say it's for clout or you should've given more(it really doesn't matter someone will always have an issue with it).

I think it was done pretty nicely, it's like 12 seconds of the video saying "I donated the 5k from the upgrade" wasn't dragged out, didn't feel like she was trying to gain brownie points. she just told us what she did with the money from AMD & went on with the video, solid 7/10 donation IMO (could've used some more crab rave so -3 points)

High chance of message being edited, mostly to add clarification or fix typos.

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

he thought it would be too small for her.

Yea, she was meant to get the Ultra. iirc cause she prefers bigger phones.

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

I don't know, i love my s22. i actually got it specifically because it was smaller. i hate large phones. i would actually be happy if it was a bit smaller.

I also lean towards smaller phones, I rarely use my phone so the flip3 has been perfect for me. compared to all the long boy phones out there today & ofc one hand opening never gets old. *flipping intensifies*

High chance of message being edited, mostly to add clarification or fix typos.

6 hours ago, Razercake said:

Yea, she was meant to get the Ultra. iirc cause she prefers bigger phones.

she should have gotten the... big linus screwdriver pillow. only at LTTstore.com

10 hours ago, Razercake said:

Eh, I don't know, I used to agree with this sentiment but honestly, if you never tell people you donated, they assume you are greedy & never donate. if you tell them you do, people will say it's for clout or you should've given more(it really doesn't matter someone will always have an issue with it).

yeah, 

I have a problem with mega philanthropy in general also.

All the years that you paid extreme Software prices (basic tax on user) so Bill Gates could become a MULTI BILLIONARE.

There was no law saying you had to charge high prices and make huge profits.

OPTION 1. Lower price to some margin of actual cost rather than what market will bear.

OPTION 2. PAY OUT PROFIT AS DIVIDENDEN. Instead of making huge increase in stock price, allow stock owners to share in the growth and value of products that they have to buy. This was the old model. People bought stock in UTILITIIES (what software actually is) like gas, power and phone....not because they thought they would make a 10x or 1000x return on a bubble, but because they wanted the steady income, the return of interest on their investment.

OPTION 3. IF you think you made too much money, return it to the people, donate to eliminate the Nation debt, that everyone share in and indirectly voted to build.

Any one of these options or a combination of the above are all morally, economically and socially preferable to consolidated vast wealth in individuals and then having them make the GOD LIKE decisions of what is best for society through their decisions.

I Know, lets take the wealth of US citizens that overpaid for software, and use it to solve tropical disease.

Yeah, thanks but no thanks. 

FINALLY, the moral direction on whether to tell of your donation was made, several thousand years ago. Mathew 6:1-4

On 5/28/2023 at 11:10 PM, CA8OOS3 said:

@LinusTech my wife really loves your floors lol. Do you know the make and model. I know crazy question

They are hardwood. Red oak with a particular stain. 

I'd honestly recommend against hardwood tho. It costs so much and the durability sucks.