New 4090 Intel i9 build

Budget (including currency): 70000 SEK

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: DaVinci Resolve, Blender, Adobe, Unreal Engine, Unity, Maya, 4K Gaming (RTX)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Buying a new build for work and gaming (working in the gaming industry) and the key things that are of importance is extreme performance, quiet operation and stability. These are more important than price.

So far I've put together this list:

https://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/6HwWAXC7Iuqe8OJGoZjDJyqJ1jc/nydatorforum-divider.pngnydator

To translate the last part it's help with building and testing the system. 

I'm also planning to use my old 10 tb drive and three 6 TB drives in some way as they were my large internal storage.

Two Noctua fans in the front blowing in, one underneath blowing in, and one blowing out on the back. Then the water cooler fans on the top blowing out and up.

Are these parts able to function together? Do they follow performance, stability and low sound?

1 minute ago, Glazarus said:

extreme performance, quiet operation and stability

Extreme performance and stability dont mix unless you do some extended stress testing (hammering cpu gpu and ram overclocks for multiple days)

if you arent overclocking you are by default throwing away "extreme" performance so just call it performance unless youd like to do some overclocking which is pretty pointless on a 13900k aside from optimizing the voltage and lowering temps + powerdraw

do you need the ecores or no? If you dont need the ecores and would prefer disabling them get a 13700k instead, should be able to clock the p cores and the ring bus abit higher with the extra thermal headroom

as for parts choice i already see massive wasteage of money on the board case psu and aio all horrifically overpriced aside from the case, its just a full tower but you can save money with a mid tower and also it has like no airflow so the overpriced noctuas are gonna be of no use, just buy p12 (max) instead

Board wise what kind of i/o and features do you need? Im sure you can find a cheaper one not to mention a brand that actually gives a shit about customers and doesnt release a beta bios that voids your warranty even though it supposedly prevents your cpu from dying. If you would like to overclock your default choice would be the z6/790 dark or unify

case wise why would you want a full tower? And get a case with airflow so the fans dont have to work as hard to get the same airflow hence quieter operation, think those cases are more aimed towards harddrives with all the sound deadening but clearly this build has no hdds

Psu wise just get a 1000w or something, 80+ rating dont matter, and avoid particularly overpriced psus like corsair rmx with no benifits irl over a cheaper model like the rm(e) because specsheets and tierlists dont correlate to irl performance

Storage wise just get a single 4tb drive, or change the 4tb sn850x to a cheaper gen3 since youll be running off chipset lanes and getting slower speeds anyways

Aio wise inferior overpriced crap go buy a liquid freezer ii or go straight to custom looping, the latter is good if youd like quietness and extra cooling, just make sure you dont get ripped off and pay 100$ for a pos slim rad or a pump from ek and look at value brands like bykski, barrow, alphacool, etc.  The cooler on the gpu is very beefy so you can just stick to custom looping the cpu, i personally went the ghetto loop route with car rads (ultimate in price/performance and sheer cooling power but inconvenient to build and maintain not to mention an eyesore if you dont like masculine pcs) so you can look in the custom loop subforum if you are interested since i am not that informed on custom looping the normies way

Fans wise arctic p12 (max), cheaper and has the same cooling performance of a noctua

8 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

..'not to mention a brand that actually gives a shit about customers and doesnt release a beta bios that voids your warranty even though it supposedly prevents your cpu from dying.'

Not trying to defend Asus or anything (really tempering over-reaction at this point), but they have released official statements that those beta disclaimers were posted in error (copy/paste).  Steve from GN had a video on it and even a lawyer on to talk about it.  I guess it remains to be seen how wide-spread any failures might end up being (when you add in future purchases/problems), but it would seem like a pretty cut and dry win for any class action lawsuit against them should it come to that.

That's saying nothing about the headache and time of any RMAs, but it seems like they are finally making the 'right' decisions now.  And I'd imagine because of this whole ordeal and the negative Brand association, they might very well end up with the better product once they figure out how to combine all three of SOC Voltage limits+Thermal protections+EXPO.  Current beta seems to be lacking in the EXPO department, but I don't think that's exclusive to Asus...since it's really AMD that's working on the AGESA framework for it (1.0.0.9 internal naming).

5 minutes ago, JLssg4 said:

they might very well end up with the better product once they figure out how to combine all three of SOC Voltage limits+Thermal protections+EXPO. 

I'm aware of the entire beta BIOS debacle, but I have a hard time finding any other brand that actually delivers on stability for ports. The board I have in this list is aimed for content creators, but for me it also delivers true thunderbolt and a lot of good ports that will help me expand to fast drives. My work requires A LOT of space since I'm filming on Red cameras in which a day's shoot is 500GB minimum. Previously, in my current setup, I have one internal 10TB normal drive plus 3 internal 6TB drives in a RAID0 (speeding up the drives and expanding the size to 18TB). And all of them just fills up in just 6 months, even though the 18TB RAID is supposed to just be a working drive for size and speed. 

So when I look for a motherboard that's stable and has good connections, that motherboard is the only one I can find that is actually delivering on all fronts. I just hope that this beta BIOS debacle is fixed if I buy a motherboard right now. 

1 hour ago, Glazarus said:

I'm aware of the entire beta BIOS debacle, but I have a hard time finding any other brand that actually delivers on stability for ports. The board I have in this list is aimed for content creators, but for me it also delivers true thunderbolt and a lot of good ports that will help me expand to fast drives. My work requires A LOT of space since I'm filming on Red cameras in which a day's shoot is 500GB minimum. Previously, in my current setup, I have one internal 10TB normal drive plus 3 internal 6TB drives in a RAID0 (speeding up the drives and expanding the size to 18TB). And all of them just fills up in just 6 months, even though the 18TB RAID is supposed to just be a working drive for size and speed. 

So when I look for a motherboard that's stable and has good connections, that motherboard is the only one I can find that is actually delivering on all fronts. I just hope that this beta BIOS debacle is fixed if I buy a motherboard right now. 

Indeed.  Apologies for taking your post on a tangent, cause really its all an AMD issue.  Afaik you're golden with the Intel platform...I just felt like the commenter above me (and those that might share the same sentiment) needed to be walked back off the cliff a bit with a more full picture. 🙂  Cheers.

@Glazarus I would look to make these changes to your build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: *ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (kr1390.00 @ Proshop) 
Case: *Lian Li LANCOOL III ATX Mid Tower Case  (kr1899.00 @ CDON SE) 
Power Supply: *MSI MEG Ai1300P PCIE5 1300 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (kr3899.00 @ CDON SE) 
Total: kr7188.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-27 19:32 CEST+0200

https://lian-li.com/product/lancool-iii/

2 hours ago, Glazarus said:

Budget (including currency): 70000 SEK

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: DaVinci Resolve, Blender, Adobe, Unreal Engine, Unity, Maya, 4K Gaming (RTX)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Buying a new build for work and gaming (working in the gaming industry) and the key things that are of importance is extreme performance, quiet operation and stability. These are more important than price.

So far I've put together this list:

https://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/6HwWAXC7Iuqe8OJGoZjDJyqJ1jc/nydatorforum-divider.pngnydator

To translate the last part it's help with building and testing the system. 

I'm also planning to use my old 10 tb drive and three 6 TB drives in some way as they were my large internal storage.

Two Noctua fans in the front blowing in, one underneath blowing in, and one blowing out on the back. Then the water cooler fans on the top blowing out and up.

Are these parts able to function together? Do they follow performance, stability and low sound?

Expanding on what @Why_Me said I would also get some cl36 ram at least, cl32 would be best tho

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Replace that pathetic Asus AIO with Liquid Freezer II 360. IT's both EXTREMELY unreliable and barely capable of handling a 150W load, let alone 300W one of the 13900k. The fans on it are just a joke. They are fine though if you wanna simulate the noise of a server room in your PC case. The rest looks ok. Even better if you can get the Liquid Freezer II 420. That 13900k is basically a furnace, disguised as a CPU. Needs every single joule of thermal capacity that you can throw at it. 

Also for the GPU, i would highly recommend the MSI SUPREME LIQUID X instead of the Strix.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

2 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Replace that pathetic Asus AIO with Liquid Freezer II 360. IT's both EXTREMELY unreliable and barely capable of handling a 150W load, let alone 300W one of the 13900k. The fans on it are just a joke. They are fine though if you wanna simulate the noise of a server room in your PC case. The rest looks ok. Even better if you can get the Liquid Freezer II 420. That 13900k is basically a furnace, disguised as a CPU.

You want a 420 AIO for that cpu if you have the case for it and its within your budget.

Here is the same system but with better mobo, GPU and cooler FOR ALOT LESS money.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor  (kr7190.00 @ Amazon Sweden) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (kr1390.00 @ Proshop) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS MASTER EATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (kr6286.10 @ Amazon Sweden) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 48 GB (2 x 24 GB) DDR5-7000 CL40 Memory  (kr2445.00 @ CDON SE) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 48 GB (2 x 24 GB) DDR5-7000 CL40 Memory  (kr2445.00 @ CDON SE) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (kr1090.00 @ Amazon Sweden) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (kr4449.66 @ Amazon Sweden) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (kr4449.66 @ Amazon Sweden) 
Video Card: MSI SUPRIM LIQUID X GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  (kr25749.00 @ CDON SE) 
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 802 ATX Mid Tower Case  (kr2268.31 @ Amazon Sweden) 
Power Supply: Corsair AX1600i 1600 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (kr5490.00 @ Proshop) 
Case Fan: Noctua A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan  (kr329.90 @ Amazon Sweden) 
Total: kr64572.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-27 21:05 CEST+0200

Idk if the original link you post is a system integrator site, but they overcharge quite a lot on some of the parts. Also couldn't find the same 2x48GB kit you had there, so jsut replaced it with 2x 2x24GB kits at 7000MHz of the same memory.

50 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

You want a 420 AIO for that cpu if you have the case for it and its within your budget.

The case supports it and it's almost 3 times cheaper than that garbage from Asus.

Btw before now checking that case i had no idea this one was such a good case and for less than €200 on top of that. I think it will become my new default for above mid-range builds.

P.S

I even think you can fit a 13900KS in that budget as well for even mo powah...

Yup.. with this 

Intel Core i9-13900KS 3 GHz 24-Core Processor

It comes to a new total of kr66672.33

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

Thanks all for the input!

The reason I'm going with what's at the "Inet" store is that I'll get all warranties and even warranty for the build process, so if the 4090 melts or something they're responsible for any problems, which feels like the best route.

I've changed out the cooler to an Arctic 420 which seems like the better choice. 

I've also got the recommendation to change the case to a Fractal Design 7, because they don't have be quiet in at the moment. But I'm not sure if the Fractal case is better or on par with be quiet? Some reviewers have pointed out that it's not very good for cooling, which in this build is an important piece. 

The motherboard, ASUS ProArt Z790-Creator, is one that I think I'll stick with since it has much better connectivity than the others. It should be just as capable on other fronts as well, right? Or is there some problem with the creator one? I'm not a fan of extreme colors and RGB and I like a cleaner look which it has (even though I'm not gonna see it). 

Many recommended the MSI SUPRIM LIQUID X GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB, however, I've seen reviews that shows it lags behind in performance compared to the Strix? Is it based on the fact that its liquid cooling makes it lower in noise levels that it's recommended? Or is it more stable? So far the Strix seems to be the most recommended card of all 4090s?

As for the PSU, I think I would like titanium just to max out the reliability-quality when its going to power such a power hungry system. And with the Intel and 4090 combo, wouldn't I want 1600w? 1300w seems a bit low when the i9 can go as high as 280w on heavy loads.

19 hours ago, Glazarus said:

I've also got the recommendation to change the case to a Fractal Design 7, because they don't have be quiet in at the moment. But I'm not sure if the Fractal case is better or on par with be quiet? Some reviewers have pointed out that it's not very good for cooling, which in this build is an important piece. 

which fractal design case? The fractal design pop air is a good choice

The motherboard, ASUS ProArt Z790-Creator, is one that I think I'll stick with since it has much better connectivity than the others. It should be just as capable on other fronts as well, right? Or is there some problem with the creator one? I'm not a fan of extreme colors and RGB and I like a cleaner look which it has (even though I'm not gonna see it). 

Thats a decent enough choice

Many recommended the MSI SUPRIM LIQUID X GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB, however, I've seen reviews that shows it lags behind in performance compared to the Strix? Is it based on the fact that its liquid cooling makes it lower in noise levels that it's recommended? Or is it more stable? So far the Strix seems to be the most recommended card of all 4090s?

tbh even the asus tuf gaming OC 4090 is really good so look for that one too

As for the PSU, I think I would like titanium just to max out the reliability-quality when its going to power such a power hungry system. And with the Intel and 4090 combo, wouldn't I want 1600w? 1300w seems a bit low when the i9 can go as high as 280w on heavy loads.

1300w isn't low. I would get a 1000w corsair rm1000x OR a hx1200 platinum if you really want

Current parts list

7 minutes ago, filpo said:

Thats a decent enough choice

1300w isn't low. I would get a 1000w corsair rm1000x OR a hx1200 platinum if you really want

The Pop Air won't fit a 360 AIO let alone a 420. The Lancool 3 is the optimal case for that AIO imo. Also a psu with PCIE5 would be something to consider for a 4090. 

2 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

The Pop Air won't fit a 360 AIO let alone a 420. The Lancool 3 is the optimal case for that AIO imo.

Oh ye i forgot 

Lian Li LANCOOL III RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (LANCOOL 3R-X) - PCPartPicker

2 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

Also a psu with PCIE5 would be something to consider for a 4090. 

like this one @Glazarus MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (MPG A1000G PCIE 5) - PCPartPicker

Current parts list

On 5/30/2023 at 8:52 AM, filpo said:

Fractal Design Define 7 XL Black

According to the store where I'm shopping this as a build, it's the only one that can fit both drives even when the drive bay is gone to fit the Strix card, as well as fit the 420 Arctic cooler in the top. I've had fractal design before so I don't think it's gonna be a problem, I just wonder if it's gonna be too big, compared to the be quiet
In the be quiet case I can fit the Arctic 360 and I might need to get creative with how to fit the drives, but the entire thing gets a bit smaller I think. 

On 5/30/2023 at 8:52 AM, filpo said:

I've heard good things about the Tuf, but I don't really understand the difference between that and the Strix? Are there any notable differences in things like coil whine or performance? They're basically the same price, but I don't get the actual difference?

On 5/30/2023 at 9:02 AM, Why_Me said:

Also a psu with PCIE5 would be something to consider for a 4090. 

Are there any such PSU with PCIE5 and ATX3.0 that are around 1300-1600 with platinum or titanium? I'm really not concerned with the price for this one since it's gonna be the main part to provide stability for this power-hungry system.

45 minutes ago, Glazarus said:

I've heard good things about the Tuf, but I don't really understand the difference between that and the Strix? Are there any notable differences in things like coil whine or performance? They're basically the same price, but I don't get the actual difference?

I wouldn't get the strix as its really expensive for no apparent reason (apart from looking a bit better) 

The tufs clocks are more than good and coil whine varies and can't really be measured model to model. If they're basically the same price (within 100 bucks) I would get the strix but if you can get a good zotac model consider that too

Current parts list

So I've updated the list according to input

https://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/FLAWAb7ZzfVItPJJiSSs2Tn5Uao/computerforum-divider.pngcomputer

Mainly, Arctic 420, larger case with room for three Noctua 120mm in the front, one 120mm in the back and two 120mm in the bottom. Upped the main drive to 2TB. Changed to the Corsair HX1500i 1500W as well in order to get ATX3.0 and PCIE5.

Price is including VAT in Sweden, which is around 25%, so that might be why it looks so expensive. 

Thoughts?