Z690 chipset temps

Hello all.
I have an ASUS ROG z690-i motherboard.
This thing has honestly been nothing but problems, but I'm nearing the end of the tunnel in figuring out fixes.

This one however I need advice on. At idle (as in web browsing etc) my chipset temps are often in excess of 70 degrees Celsius (sometimes up to 80). 
During gaming or other intense applications it can get to the high 90s (and prior to moving my m.2 SSD would overheat, causing usb throughput issues).

So to summarize:
Idle: 72-80 degrees C
Load: ~80-100 degrees C

I saw another owner of this motherboard had a similar issue and they were able to get ASUS to RMA the board. Also as is I cannot populate the second m.2 slot because both the ssd and chipset will overheat if done so.
Now I've been reading around that it's no uncommon for the z690 chipset to run kinda hot, but I'm unsure if these kind of temps are acceptable.
IIRC the limit temp for the chipset is 108 degrees C, which I have hit regularly (when the SSD was on slot 2 ~45 mins of gaming would see it at as high as 110 C).
Even after moving the SSD as aforementioned, I'm still getting kind of close to the thermal limit.

My question(s) are as follows:
Is this healthy? At these temps is there a chance the board will fry itself (which I've also read of)?
Are these considered normal-ish temps for the z690 chipset?

Finally - would it make sense to try and RMA this board for this issue?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

7 minutes ago, Jerakl said:

Hello all.
I have an ASUS ROG z690-i motherboard.
This thing has honestly been nothing but problems, but I'm nearing the end of the tunnel in figuring out fixes.

This one however I need advice on. At idle (as in web browsing etc) my chipset temps are often in excess of 70 degrees Celsius (sometimes up to 80). 
During gaming or other intense applications it can get to the high 90s (and prior to moving my m.2 SSD would overheat, causing usb throughput issues).

So to summarize:
Idle: 72-80 degrees C
Load: ~80-100 degrees C

I saw another owner of this motherboard had a similar issue and they were able to get ASUS to RMA the board. Also as is I cannot populate the second m.2 slot because both the ssd and chipset will overheat if done so.
Now I've been reading around that it's no uncommon for the z690 chipset to run kinda hot, but I'm unsure if these kind of temps are acceptable.
IIRC the limit temp for the chipset is 108 degrees C, which I have hit regularly (when the SSD was on slot 2 ~45 mins of gaming would see it at as high as 110 C).
Even after moving the SSD as aforementioned, I'm still getting kind of close to the thermal limit.

My question(s) are as follows:
Is this healthy? At these temps is there a chance the board will fry itself (which I've also read of)?
Are these considered normal-ish temps for the z690 chipset?

Finally - would it make sense to try and RMA this board for this issue?

Absolutely very unhealthy. It's possible that they are rated to withstand up to 110C but I can't know without seeing the parts themselves. Either way, something is not right for sure. I would not run that board anymore until you RMA and replace it. 

That certainly doesn't seem right to me. I've got a Z690I Aorus Ultra and after playing Insurgency for about an hour and a half? and now sitting around doing not a lot, the PCH is at a comparatively frosty 47C with both of the M.2's in the sandwich occupied. Granted I do have some airflow over the stack, but by the time it gets down to the bottom M.2 slot and the PCH the radiator fans above it don't do a whole hell of a lot of good since they're sucking air over it.

Time to bitch at ASUS and see if you can get something figured out.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

30 minutes ago, phatrattyy said:

Absolutely very unhealthy. It's possible that they are rated to withstand up to 110C but I can't know without seeing the parts themselves. Either way, something is not right for sure. I would not run that board anymore until you RMA and replace it. 

Good to know. Time to dismantle the ol SFFPC ig.
It didn't even make it to 6 months 💔  lmfao

17 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yes, you should try and RMA the motherboard.

Was planning on it if the info I got from this thread reflected would I was thinking. Obviously it'll take down my PC but could always get replacement parts in the meantime.

15 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

That certainly doesn't seem right to me. I've got a Z690I Aorus Ultra and after playing Insurgency for about an hour and a half? and now sitting around doing not a lot, the PCH is at a comparatively frosty 47C with both of the M.2's in the sandwich occupied. Granted I do have some airflow over the stack, but by the time it gets down to the bottom M.2 slot and the PCH the radiator fans above it don't do a whole hell of a lot of good since they're sucking air over it.

Time to bitch at ASUS and see if you can get something figured out.

That's more or less what I was looking to hear, thanks.
I actually had the Z690i Aorus DDR4 before this board, but couldn't get it to boot. 
As mentioned in original post I've heard of a lot of people having high(er) chipset temps (even on ATX boards), so hearing that you get some rather cozy temps (comparatively) on an itx board makes me think there's DEFINITELY something wrong.
I know my mobo is itx, and my case doesn't have THE BEST airflow. But man hitting near 100 C on load just seems like something is wrong LMAO

I was kinda looking to switch form factors anyways (the sff ITX pc isn't working out as well as I thought, and needs changed), and maybe even platforms if it were to work out. As stated above PC would be down without a motherboard so either laptop bound or something else shows up.

Also, thank you both for the quick and informative replies 🙂

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Just now, Jerakl said:

As mentioned in original post I've heard of a lot of people having high(er) chipset temps (even on ATX boards), so hearing that you get some rather cozy temps (comparatively) on an itx board makes me think there's DEFINITELY something wrong.
I know my mobo is itx, and my case doesn't have THE BEST airflow. But man hitting near 100 C on load just seems like something is wrong LMAO

It's somewhat normal for chipsets to run just a little bit on the toasty side(look at them and their cooling, they don't typically require a whole lot), but yeah 100C is not okay.

Laptop bound isn't terrible as long as you have a decent laptop. I was down a laptop for a bit at the end of 2022 and it was terrible being stuck at my desk or on my phone.

4 minutes ago, Jerakl said:

I was kinda looking to switch form factors anyways (the sff ITX pc isn't working out as well as I thought, and needs changed), and maybe even platforms if it were to work out. As stated above PC would be down without a motherboard so either laptop bound or something else shows up.

Personally, just because I like being able to work on my hardware, full size ATX in a mid tower is the smallest I'm willing to go. I don't like opening my case and having my PC feel cramped and hard to work on. I've also done work on modern/modern-ish iMacs in the past and those were another level of painful. I want spaaaaaace.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's somewhat normal for chipsets to run just a little bit on the toasty side(look at them and their cooling, they don't typically require a whole lot), but yeah 100C is not okay.

Laptop bound isn't terrible as long as you have a decent laptop. I was down a laptop for a bit at the end of 2022 and it was terrible being stuck at my desk or on my phone.

Personally, just because I like being able to work on my hardware, full size ATX in a mid tower is the smallest I'm willing to go. I don't like opening my case and having my PC feel cramped and hard to work on. I've also done work on modern/modern-ish iMacs in the past and those were another level of painful. I want spaaaaaace.

I have a decent laptop, but honestly I'm not sure if I can handle the laptop only experience LOL

I'm actually moving for university soon (hence why I had built a sff PC). Potentially do still desire a small(er) PC, but not really wanting to go back to full ATX. Just don't like the look of a lot of the reasonably priced cases, and realistically I don't need an atx form factor.
Looking at local parts availability if I go to another PC (instead of just using laptop) I'd probably move to an mATX case. Enough space for a couple drives and a full size tower cooler/gpu, but can sit on my desk and still over it.

Also grabbing a decent mobo (see: z series, and not barebones) for my 13600k + atx case is almost the same price as grabbing an matx and ryzen 7600+mobo.

Mines about 45 on Msi board,

can u add a fan over it for now ? Although sounds like the thermal pads not making contact. 
should be located to the right of the gpu under a heat shield/sync 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

10 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Mines about 45 on Msi board,

can u add a fan over it for now ? Although sounds like the thermal pads not making contact. 
should be located to the right of the gpu under a heat shield/sync 

ITX board. It's under a combo of daughter boards I don't dare remove because of potential damage. One is removable to add M.2's, but other doesn't seem to be without removing dismantling half the mobo

35 minutes ago, Jerakl said:

ITX board. It's under a combo of daughter boards I don't dare remove because of potential damage. One is removable to add M.2's, but other doesn't seem to be without removing dismantling half the mobo

Could you try putting an extra fan pointed at it for now ? 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

2 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Could you try putting an extra fan pointed at it for now ? 

I would, but there's basically 0 space, and I have no fan headers. Already using a splitter on one of them.
I'll just RMA and live with it I guess.

right here me out because I know this is an amd video but give it a watch and try a different chipset driver 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

5 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

right here me out because I know this is an amd video but give it a watch and try a different chipset driver 

I actually have tried a variety of drivers as I've been having these issues pretty much since I got the board (and only managed to get the problems to a tolerable level recently).
So while a semi-plausible suggestion I don't think it did much in my case.
When I pull it out to RMA I might try and check the thermal pad, but honestly it's kind of an expensive board and I'd rather not potentially break something trying to get a look at it (or potentially void warranty on the way there, etc) 😔

16 hours ago, Jerakl said:

I actually have tried a variety of drivers as I've been having these issues pretty much since I got the board (and only managed to get the problems to a tolerable level recently).
So while a semi-plausible suggestion I don't think it did much in my case.
When I pull it out to RMA I might try and check the thermal pad, but honestly it's kind of an expensive board and I'd rather not potentially break something trying to get a look at it (or potentially void warranty on the way there, etc) 😔

Have you tried bringing the phc voltage down ? Do you know what that runs at ? 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

On 5/27/2023 at 10:24 AM, Ebony Falcon said:

Have you tried bringing the phc voltage down ? Do you know what that runs at ? 

I looked at it but it was locked in the bios and I couldn't figure out what setting I needed to change to unlock it.
I did see some reports this could help as a stop gap/temp fix.

I contacted asus support thinking maybe they'd give me some sort of advice about a BIOS (or other form of software) fix, but they basically just told me to RMA it immediately and set me up with an RMA claim.

Which I honestly... wasn't expecting given how some of these companies can be about warranty issues.