USB Ports keep disconnecting/reconnecting

Zagex

My USB ports keep disconnecting and after 1 second or sometimes even up to 5 seconds they reconnect. It's bothering me quite much because if I'm talking on discord the headphones disconnect making me stutter. The bigger problem is with the mouse.. it obviously makes it really hard to play anything because of the constant disconnects. For whatever reason nothing happens with the keyboard, and let me just say that I've tested both the mouse and headphones on my laptop and none of them disconnected. So it seems the problem is in my PC (possibly motherboard?) because I've reinstalled my Windows and updated every driver possible with the device manager. Any ideas would be helpful.

Are you seeing any usb errors in your event viewer? Does the usb connector in device manager have a problem? 

It's possible you have some sort of short going on with your connectors or motherboard. I'd recheck contacts with motherboard and usb ports and check your PSU power cables. 

Check your windows power options, got to the advanced settings and look under USB settings>USB Selective suspend settings>disable. Make sure it's disabled, see if that changes anything. 

Uninstall and reinstall your usb drivers in device manager as well. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

2 hours ago, Fred Castellum said:

Are you seeing any usb errors in your event viewer? Does the usb connector in device manager have a problem? 

It's possible you have some sort of short going on with your connectors or motherboard. I'd recheck contacts with motherboard and usb ports and check your PSU power cables. 

Check your windows power options, got to the advanced settings and look under USB settings>USB Selective suspend settings>disable. Make sure it's disabled, see if that changes anything. 

Uninstall and reinstall your usb drivers in device manager as well. 

Couldn't see any errors in the event viewer. Opened up the case and plugged out and then plugged in the USB connectors. I recently changed my PSU for an upgrade (the issue was there with the old PSU). I uninstalled and reinstalled the USB host connectors and disabled the suspend settings in the power options but it still disconnects my mouse and headphones.

1 hour ago, Zagex said:

Couldn't see any errors in the event viewer. Opened up the case and plugged out and then plugged in the USB connectors. I recently changed my PSU for an upgrade (the issue was there with the old PSU). I uninstalled and reinstalled the USB host connectors and disabled the suspend settings in the power options but it still disconnects my mouse and headphones.

Device manager doesn't show any problems with the USB host/controller? Is this only happening on your motherboard rear panel usb connections or does the front panel USB connectors do the same? 

Your motherboard might be the main culprit here, maybe the usb controller onboard is having issues. Can you give me a full run down of your hardware specs? Also did you try other usb devices while having your keyboard disconnected?

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

3 hours ago, Fred Castellum said:

Device manager doesn't show any problems with the USB host/controller? Is this only happening on your motherboard rear panel usb connections or does the front panel USB connectors do the same? 

Your motherboard might be the main culprit here, maybe the usb controller onboard is having issues. Can you give me a full run down of your hardware specs? Also did you try other usb devices while having your keyboard disconnected?

Yes device manager doesn't seem to show any problems with it. It's happening on both the front and rear panels. I've tried without the keyboard connected and they still disconnect. Here are my specs:

GIGABYTE AB350m Gaming 3 motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 1400
GTX 1080
16 GB DDR4
700W PSU

58 minutes ago, Zagex said:

Yes device manager doesn't seem to show any problems with it. It's happening on both the front and rear panels. I've tried without the keyboard connected and they still disconnect. Here are my specs:

GIGABYTE AB350m Gaming 3 motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 1400
GTX 1080
16 GB DDR4
700W PSU

I'm willing to put my money on your motherboard being the culprit here. See if you can get a RMA, your probably going to need to replace it. 

You can download USBDeview to check that power state status and other info on the ports as this is happening. Might help you narrow it down more to it being the board.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

10 minutes ago, Fred Castellum said:

I'm will to put my money on your motherboard being the culprit here. See if you can get a RMA, your probably going to need to replace it. 

You can download USBDeview to check that power state status and other info on the ports as this is happening. Might help you narrow it down more to it being the board.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

That's what I thought initially, but wanted to get some more confirmation before possibly replacing it. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

@Fred Castellum Hey, sorry for tagging you but I wanted to let you know that I replaced my motherboard (and case), though the problems are still here. Any ideas as to what else could be the problem? The only thing on my mind is possibly the CPU, but I thought it would straight out die before it makes such a weird problem..

1 hour ago, Zagex said:

@Fred Castellum Hey, sorry for tagging you but I wanted to let you know that I replaced my motherboard (and case), though the problems are still here. Any ideas as to what else could be the problem? The only thing on my mind is possibly the CPU, but I thought it would straight out die before it makes such a weird problem..

The problem is still there? That's... really strange. CPU failures can be slow and have different symptoms, so it's a possibility. Maybe there are some USB controller drivers on the manufacture website that windows didn't spot when auto updating/installing drivers? 

You might have to swap CPUs, you've got a really niche problem here. I'd tell you to go buy a lotto ticket but on second thought that'd be a waste of money lol.

Check around to see if any is possibly creating a short, are all the USB ports clean? Wiring in build all good? Do you have another PSU you can use for testing? 

1 hour ago, Fred Castellum said:

The problem is still there? That's... really strange. CPU failures can be slow and have different symptoms, so it's a possibility. Maybe there are some USB controller drivers on the manufacture website that windows didn't spot when auto updating/installing drivers? 

You might have to swap CPUs, you've got a really niche problem here. I'd tell you to go buy a lotto ticket but on second thought that'd be a waste of money lol.

Check around to see if any is possibly creating a short, are all the USB ports clean? Wiring in build all good? Do you have another PSU you can use for testing? 

I've checked the wiring and the USB ports many times, and sadly don't have another PSU. I can probably ask a friend to give me his for a quick test. If it continues I think I'll get a new CPU and pray it fixes itself.