A USB drive I'm looking at comes in both Type A and Type C variants. Which one should I choose?

MrZoraman

I want to get a really fast USB drive since it is going to be hosting a database and a bunch of files used by a read/write intensive program. This is the drive I'm looking at: https://shop.kingston.com/products/datatraveler-max-usb-c-flash-drive?variant=40686294892736

Should I get the Type A or Type C drive? All of my computers have Type A and Type C ports. I've done a little bit of research and it seems like it is 6 one way half a dozen another way. Maybe you guys know something I don't though, which is why I'm asking here.

Thanks!

Go USB C. A isn't going out of style anytime soon, but C allows you to plug it into smaller and smaller form factor devices like phones, or thin books with only a USB C port.

Plus, you can always get an A-C adapter if you can live with some speed loss.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

go with type c

also just wana mention you should check every now and then your write wear on the drive if your application is going to be write intensive.

5 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

go with type c

also just wana mention you should check every now and then your write wear on the drive if your application is going to be write intensive.

How do I check that? Is that something hwinfo64 tells me?

47 minutes ago, MrZoraman said:

How do I check that? Is that something hwinfo64 tells me?

There are a lot of disk information softwares that can read S.M.A.R.T. data. 

Google a few, test them with the disks you already have and see what you like best. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

It is also important to get the correct revision of USB-C to take advantage of higher read/ write speeds, some USB-C devices operate at the same speed as some USB-3.0 type A ones.

Definitely C though. There are some with both.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 hours ago, MrZoraman said:

I want to get a really fast USB drive since it is going to be hosting a database and a bunch of files used by a read/write intensive program. This is the drive I'm looking at: https://shop.kingston.com/products/datatraveler-max-usb-c-flash-drive?variant=40686294892736

Should I get the Type A or Type C drive? All of my computers have Type A and Type C ports. I've done a little bit of research and it seems like it is 6 one way half a dozen another way. Maybe you guys know something I don't though, which is why I'm asking here.

Thanks!

Usb drives are not really meant so such intensive writes such as running a database. I'd really look at getting an SSD (or hdd) in an enclosure.