4070ti Core Clock And Mem Clock Jumping at idle.

lopj245
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
10 minutes ago, lopj245 said:

Pretty much a clean OS, Steam, Discord and runtimes. Whats strange is that even though clocks are jumping, power usage is low, 5-10 %

Its likely just a quirk of how the boosting works, something on the desktop rendered using GPU acceleration and momentarily caused the card to boost, but it didn't need all that GPU power so the usage remained low.  I'd only be concerned if GPU usage was high for long periods while idle.

I would be a little concerned that the gaming BIOS wont POST though, maybe that BIOS needs reflashing?

I've never ran into this before without the presence of malware, at desktop core clock and memory clock is jumping to 100% and dropping back down. Recently reset my PC so I'm not sure if its always been doing it or its a recent thing.

Msi z790 Aorus Elite AX

32 GB of Ram

Corsair Rmx 850 2021 version.

MSI Rtx 4070ti Gaming Trio

Latest Bios

Latest Drivers

Not even sure its an issue but I doubt its normal.

Spikes 2.png

Spikes.png

GPU Will also not post with gaming bios selected, silent posts fine.

27 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

any recent software installed?

Pretty much a clean OS, Steam, Discord and runtimes. Whats strange is that even though clocks are jumping, power usage is low, 5-10 %

10 minutes ago, lopj245 said:

Its likely just a quirk of how the boosting works, something on the desktop rendered using GPU acceleration and momentarily caused the card to boost, but it didn't need all that GPU power so the usage remained low.  I'd only be concerned if GPU usage was high for long periods while idle.

I would be a little concerned that the gaming BIOS wont POST though, maybe that BIOS needs reflashing?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Kinda what I thought since power usage was low, Its been running furmark for over an hour and no issues, max temp is 61 deg c with a max power draw of 270 watts. I miss evga 😥 

I had terrible luck with an MSI 2070super so I'm just nitpicking at this point. 

Thanks for the peace of mind.

22 minutes ago, lopj245 said:

Kinda what I thought since power usage was low, Its been running furmark for over an hour and no issues, max temp is 61 deg c with a max power draw of 270 watts. I miss evga 😥 

I had terrible luck with an MSI 2070super so I'm just nitpicking at this point. 

Thanks for the peace of mind.

Yeah I was thinking high clocks, low usage is usually triggered by something like video decoding, as its only using the video decode block so wont be high power or show an actual GPU load - unless you are looking at GPU decode.

Could be something silly like a Steam glitch decoding a video despite the window not being open, or as simple as the Windows desktop rendering.  AFAIK the instant you ask the GPU to do anything it will boost, as it can't know what you're doing or for how long, so boosting early and sustaining that boost longer than necessary would reduce the chance of latency from it clocking down and having to immediately clock back up again.  Ultimately its all happening so fast its kinda random if we can see it in the monitoring software or not, as those typically only take a snapshot every 1-2 seconds so its pure luck if it happens to be during a boost period.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7