Discord is only getting noise from my microphone while everything (Audacity, Windows Voice Recorder, FL Studio) else works

tavolga

Not sure if this is the correct place to to ask for help-

I've got a TAKSTAR PC-K200 mic, everything works fine with it except Discord. For some reason, Discord only picks up some static noise when I try to test my microphone in it.

I've disabled all "audio enhancements" in Discord, including noise suppression, but all I hear when testing my mic is just noise...

I'm fairly certain it's not a driver issue as everything else works with the mic.

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on, and how to fix it?

Go into user settings > Voice and Video > then Input settings

Select the correct mic 

30 minutes ago, CreedTT said:

Go into user settings > Voice and Video > then Input settings

Select the correct mic 

I only have one input device, I'm using Realtek drivers.

35 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

can you check here? 

Is that the Windows 11 control panel/settings? I'm still on 10, but I'm pretty sure my system config isn't messed up if every program except Discord works...

also, Discord is actually picking up my microphone, there's just so much static noise that only extremely loud sounds get through. Not sure why the sound is crisp in every program except Discord.

3 minutes ago, tavolga said:

I only have one input device, I'm using Realtek drivers.

Is that the Windows 11 control panel/settings? I'm still on 10, but I'm pretty sure my system config isn't messed up if every program except Discord works...

also, Discord is actually picking up my microphone, there's just so much static noise that only extremely loud sounds get through. Not sure why the sound is crisp in every program except Discord.

go in control panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Recording > make sure your selected mic is set to default and Discord is using this exact same mic 

If so then right click on the mic and click properties 

go to Listen tab, Listen to this device click Apply

Now you should be able to hear what it actually sounds like 

go to the levels tab and decrease/Increase until it sounds normal 

You could also add enhancements in the enhancements tab to make it sound better, 

There is also the option to download a voicemeter and see if that can be used to fix the problem. 

5 hours ago, CreedTT said:

go in control panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Recording > make sure your selected mic is set to default and Discord is using this exact same mic 

If so then right click on the mic and click properties 

go to Listen tab, Listen to this device click Apply

Now you should be able to hear what it actually sounds like 

go to the levels tab and decrease/Increase until it sounds normal 

You could also add enhancements in the enhancements tab to make it sound better, 

There is also the option to download a voicemeter and see if that can be used to fix the problem. 

The audio file attached is exactly what it sounds like when using "Listen to this device", and both enhancements (echo cancellation and noise suppression) completely destroy the sound quality. I'll check out voicemeeter though, seems useful.

9 minutes ago, tavolga said:

The audio file attached is exactly what it sounds like when using "Listen to this device", and both enhancements (echo cancellation and noise suppression) completely destroy the sound quality. I'll check out voicemeeter though, seems useful.

Discord also has an In-built Noise suppression, due to the low quality of your mic this may also be destroying your sound quality just as you stated the windows version did. Therefore you may want to try turning it off in discord, if it  is activated. When connected to a voice channel at the bottom where it says Voice connected in green next to that should be 6 different sized bars click on that and disable/enable noise suppression 

17 minutes ago, CreedTT said:

Discord also has an In-built Noise suppression, due to the low quality of your mic this may also be destroying your sound quality just as you stated the windows version did. Therefore you may want to try turning it off in discord, if it  is activated. When connected to a voice channel at the bottom where it says Voice connected in green next to that should be 6 different sized bars click on that and disable/enable noise suppression 

I already tried turning off all of the audio enhancements in Discord, including noise suppression, both options for noise suppression (Krisp and Standard) completely get rid of all audio, including the static noise, while leaving noise suppression off just produces the static noise.