Best way to migrate Windows 10 install to new ssd?

YellowJersey
Go to solution Solved by C2dan88,
29 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

Or should I just clone the drive as Jayz2cents did here? I was thinking of mounting the 2TB ssd in the spare m.2 slot (limited to PCIE 3), clone the 1TB over, and then mount the 2TB into the main m.2 slot (PCIE 4)?

Clone. I prefer to use haslo disk clone

https://www.easyuefi.com/disk-clone/disk-clone-home.html

I currently have a 1TB ssd in my system and want to upgrade to a 2TB ssd. Which is the best way to move my install and all my files, settings, apps, etc? I do not want to reinstall all my apps and stuff as that would take hours, if not days.

Should I use Windows reinstall but keep everything like option #3 here? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reinstall-windows-d8369486-3e33-7d9c-dccc-859e2b022fc7#WindowsVersion=Windows_10

Or should I just clone the drive as Jayz2cents did here? I was thinking of mounting the 2TB ssd in the spare m.2 slot (limited to PCIE 3), clone the 1TB over, and then mount the 2TB into the main m.2 slot (PCIE 4)?

Or is there a better way than either of these options?

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

29 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

Clone. I prefer to use haslo disk clone

https://www.easyuefi.com/disk-clone/disk-clone-home.html

52 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

I currently have a 1TB ssd in my system and want to upgrade to a 2TB ssd. Which is the best way to move my install and all my files, settings, apps, etc? I do not want to reinstall all my apps and stuff as that would take hours, if not days.

Should I use Windows reinstall but keep everything like option #3 here? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reinstall-windows-d8369486-3e33-7d9c-dccc-859e2b022fc7#WindowsVersion=Windows_10

Or is there a better way than either of these options?

The BEST way (regarding reliability and least problems) is always to do a fresh install.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it used to be that an SSD works optimally (least wear, fastest write times) when the partition layout has been created for that specific SSDs block size.  I don't trust cloning to maintain that.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

if you buy a samsung drive, samsung has their own cloning tool that's basicly plug&play.

for any other brand, follow the guide as stated, and that's that.

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

if you buy a samsung drive, samsung has their own cloning tool that's basicly plug&play.

This is exactly what I used when I added an NVME drive to my workstation.  I ran the Samsung Data Migration program and it took maybe 10 minutes or so to move everything over.  Yes, fresh installs are a good way to go but I had a lot installed programs that had been customized and it would have taken me the better part of a day to set everything up if I did a fresh install.  I've had zero problems with Windows 11 other than the 'security bug' that Microsoft has not yet corrected (LSA is off).  Crucial also have a tool that is basically a stripped down version of Acronis.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

12 hours ago, manikyath said:

I'm a little reluctant to go Samsung due to their problems as of late.

Update: Opted to clone using Macrium Reflect free edition. Works fine! I cloned the drives, moved the 2TB into the main nvme PCIE 4 slot, and works like a charm.