USB's randomly disconnect for a minute then reconnect

Rat_Lord

all usbs on my device have been disconnecting for almost a minute or more. I've tried looking it up uninstalling usb 3.10 eXtensible so that the driver reinstalls. I did a fresh reinstall of windows, which at first seemed to fix it but then it happened again keyboard rgb turns off can't input anything with mouse or keyboard it was a lot faster this time only maybe 2 seconds.

any help would be appreciated nuking my windows install is usually my go to fix for things and it seems to not have worked this time.

all hardware is kept in pretty good conditions and a cool room with decent airflow which is why i really think its a software issue but maybe overclocking killed the usb controller or something idrk

Specs:

CPU: ryzen 5 5600x

GPU: rtx 2080ti

MB: msi b450m bazooka v2

PSU: 750W corsair

16gb of ram

Typically this is a sign the PSU can't provide enough power to the USB ports.

If you are comfortable doing this, try a liveUSB install of something like Linux Mint (it['s very windows-like) and see if the behaviour replicates. If it doesm it's hardware, if it doesn't, then it's software

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

If you are comfortable doing this, try a liveUSB install of something like Linux Mint (it['s very windows-like) and see if the behaviour replicates. If it doesm it's hardware, if it doesn't, then it's software

hmm i'll probably try it thank you. but why wouldn't a 750w be able to handle usb's i know 750w is a bit on the lighter side for a 2080ti but its only ever 277w max and my usbs are what i would call light just rgb keyboard mouse and rgb mousepad all stuff that i would think doesn't take much bandwith.

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

i did try unplugging usb's as well with nothing but my keyboard mouse and headphones 

2 hours ago, Rat_Lord said:

all usbs on my device have been disconnecting for almost a minute or more. I've tried looking it up uninstalling usb 3.10 eXtensible so that the driver reinstalls. I did a fresh reinstall of windows, which at first seemed to fix it but then it happened again keyboard rgb turns off can't input anything with mouse or keyboard it was a lot faster this time only maybe 2 seconds.

any help would be appreciated nuking my windows install is usually my go to fix for things and it seems to not have worked this time.

all hardware is kept in pretty good conditions and a cool room with decent airflow which is why i really think its a software issue but maybe overclocking killed the usb controller or something idrk

Specs:

CPU: ryzen 5 5600x

GPU: rtx 2080ti

MB: msi b450m bazooka v2

PSU: 750W corsair

16gb of ram

i should also add that my blutooth connection will sometimes go away entirely it seems to be random but the button for bluetooth will just go away sometimes after the issue happens

another thing is that when I'm watching videos the video will play while a buffer wheel spins if that even really helps

3 minutes ago, Rat_Lord said:

i should also add that my blutooth connection will sometimes go away entirely it seems to be random but the button for bluetooth will just go away sometimes after the issue happens

another thing is that when I'm watching videos the video will play while a buffer wheel spins if that even really helps

The other thing you can try, if you have a lot of USB devices, is a powered USB hub, see if that helps.

9 minutes ago, Rat_Lord said:

hmm i'll probably try it thank you. but why wouldn't a 750w be able to handle usb's i know 750w is a bit on the lighter side for a 2080ti but its only ever 277w max and my usbs are what i would call light just rgb keyboard mouse and rgb mousepad all stuff that i would think doesn't take much bandwith.

Theoretically you are correct, the 750 should be enough, but if it's failing, or not being able to provide consistent power, then you might see such issues.

The Linux install (running live on a usb stick) is a quick way to sorting this out, before throwing money at hardware.

Steam exists on Linux if you want to stress test your system.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.