Asus Proart X670e networking issue

Bob_H
Go to solution Solved by DoctorNick,
23 minutes ago, Bob_H said:

Hello All,

This is my first post.

I bought a X670e creator wifi and and an AMD 7950. I have done a clean install of windows 11. However Windows setup stopped on connecting to a network.

I cannot finalize the install and I am stumped. I am not sure if this is a windows 11 issue or an ASUS issue.

If you still can return that board ASAP. All asus X670/E boards is a dumpster fire

Hello All,

This is my first post.

I bought a X670e creator wifi and and an AMD 7950. I have done a clean install of windows 11. However Windows setup stopped on connecting to a network.

I cannot finalize the install and I am stumped. I am not sure if this is a windows 11 issue or an ASUS issue.

23 minutes ago, Bob_H said:

Hello All,

This is my first post.

If you still can return that board ASAP. All asus X670/E boards is a dumpster fire

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

16 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

I purchased from Amazon Prime so returning wont be an issue however if I do What to replace it with.

9 minutes ago, Bob_H said:

I purchased from Amazon Prime so returning wont be an issue however if I do What to replace it with.

Great thats good to hear. I would highly recommend that. Be sure to check the underside of the CPU for any damages, just in case. Most likely everything is fine. Ask yourself, do you really need a X670E board? What about just getting a B650? Much better value and identical performance. The X670 and E chipset is in reality just an add-on to the B650 chipset. Also if you're not a experience PC builder, then save yourself the hassle and use lower speed ram, like 5200/5600Mhz instead of 6000Mhz, unless you already got that. 

I would use the comparison to choose a board. I would personally go for either the MSI Pro B650-P Wifi or Gigabyte Gaming X AX, because of low VRM temps. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

5 minutes ago, Bob_H said:

The return process has been started. ASUS now on my permaban list.

Also on mine! Have had several ASUS motherboards in the past, but in recent years on Intel Z390 and AMD X470 I've experienced a lot of weirdness. Also ASUS Armoury crate is just a pain and you have to remember to disable it, because if not you'll have to use the official uninstallation tool from asus to completely remove it.

FS in Denmark/EU:

1 hour ago, DoctorNick said:

I would use the comparison to choose a board. I would personally go for either the MSI Pro B650-P Wifi or Gigabyte Gaming X AX, because of low VRM temps.

Gigabyte may also have an SoC over-voltage problem:

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Gigabyte may also have an SoC over-voltage problem:

Nice find! Damn the voltage is weird on AMD. Same on my board. When Dram voltage is 1.35v it shows 1.38v, idk if this is true. That isn't really a problem, but if soc is high then.. I may need to check mine, but i'm on B550, so probably fine.

FS in Denmark/EU:

33 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Nice find! Damn the voltage is weird on AMD. Same on my board. When Dram voltage is 1.35v it shows 1.38v, idk if this is true. That isn't really a problem, but if soc is high then.. I may need to check mine, but i'm on B550, so probably fine.

What worries me is they may have been doing this on AM4 too, we'd never know if its degrading our CPUs quicker than it should be as it may take years to do anything bad.  I think its only come to light as 7000 series degrades easier, not because its something new they are doing.

I seem to recall it had been said for years ASUS tend to push the voltages right to the limit.  The problem here is what the sensors/BIOS is telling us is NOT what is coming out of the VRM.  Or in the video above its spiking the SoC to a higher voltage than its rated for during POST, even if it then drops it lower later.  That's still going to wear out the CPU faster as it should NEVER go over the max rated voltage, period.

Lets not forget, max rating only means "we guarantee the CPU will last the warranty at these settings", so every bit higher than stock is reducing the life span closer to the warranty, when most of us will keep a CPU well past that.

The CPU in my Folding/Stable Diffusion PC is 9 years old.  My second folding box is 12 years old.  I absolutely expect a CPU to last that long.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

29 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

What worries me is they may have been doing this on AM4 too, we'd never know if its degrading our CPUs quicker than it should be as it may take years to do anything bad.  I think its only come to light as 7000 series degrades easier, not because its something new they are doing.

I seem to recall it had been said for years ASUS tend to push the voltages right to the limit.  The problem here is what the sensors/BIOS is telling us is NOT what is coming out of the VRM.  Or in the video above its spiking the SoC to a higher voltage than its rated for during POST, even if it then drops it lower later.  That's still going to wear out the CPU faster as it should NEVER go over the max rated voltage, period.

Lets not forget, max rating only means "we guarantee the CPU will last the warranty at these settings", so every bit higher than stock is reducing the life span closer to the warranty, when most of us will keep a CPU well past that.

The CPU in my Folding/Stable Diffusion PC is 9 years old.  My second folding box is 12 years old.  I absolutely expect a CPU to last that long.

I will check this out on my current rig. Recently switched to 5800X3D, only because I got a new DDR4 kit for my old system and thought, it'll be fine instead of spending more on ryzen 7000. I will check SoC voltage with PBO enabled/disabled, ram on auto and DOCP, to see if it does anything weird. If I recall correctly I think I saw a pretty low Soc voltage. I will not test with a voltmeter, so only in BIOS and HWinfo64. I don't worry about startup voltage as much. I do worry about SoC voltage as I actually experienced something similar years back Intel P55 with a 875K cpu.  I ran fast memory for the time 2400@CL7 at 1.35v and what I thought was safe voltage on IMC, but that wasn't the case as the memory controller literally burned out in about 3 months, taking all of the pads with it (actually only the pads controlling unlocked multiplier for the memory controller, or maybe it was supplied otherwise). Anyway still worked at 1333mhz. 

FS in Denmark/EU:

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

I will check this out on my current rig. Recently switched to 5800X3D, only because I got a new DDR4 kit for my old system and thought, it'll be fine instead of spending more on ryzen 7000. I will check SoC voltage with PBO enabled/disabled, ram on auto and DOCP, to see if it does anything weird.

Problem is you can't tell as in the video he had to probe the motherboard directly to see what was actually happening as the sensors claimed the voltage was "fine".  At least the Gigabyte issue, not sure if anyone tested the ASUS that way.

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Problem is you can't tell as in the video he had to probe the motherboard directly to see what was actually happening as the sensors claimed the voltage was "fine".

I know.. But I can compare reported voltage at some setting vs at another setting to see if it makes sense. Or to check if it's as bugged as shown in the video, where he set soc to 1.2v and in hardware monitor shows 1.4v

FS in Denmark/EU: