Doing MB test of new build - CPU light is on after flashing BIOS, and screen is black

prvontuckiii

Hey everyone,

I've completed the MB for my 2nd build (CPU + cooler, GPU, M.2 storage, and RAM attached) and I figured now is a good time to test that everything works before I put it in the box.

When I first connected everything to the PSU and powered on with a screwdriver, I got the DRAM debug light on. Reseated the RAM, the issue persisted, and I checked online. I saw mentions that I might need to update the BIOS for the 5800x, so I downloaded the latest version on the MSI site, downloaded it into an empty FAT32 USB, renamed it to BIOS.ROM, plugged it into the appropriate USB slot, flipped the power switch, and pressed the flash button.

The BIOS LED flashed for about 5-6 minutes, during which time the MB powered on (fans and LEDs turned on, as well as the RAM and GPU).

Now, the DRAM light is gone, but the CPU debug light is on, and I still don't see anything on my monitor (yes it's plugged into my GPU and all that). I removed my CMOS for a couple of minutes (after turning off the power and unplugging the PSU from the wall), put it back in, and tried again - still nothing.

I'm 99% certain the CPU is properly seated, so what might be the problem?

Also: I tried the BIOS flash again (same version) and this time, the flash LED just stayed constant, and after a few minutes I powered down). Worried this may have been a bad idea.

Specs:

Ryzen 7 5800x CPU

3060ti GPU

Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB RAM

MSI B550 Tomahawk MB

Corsair RMX 850w PSU

have you got the ram in the right slots? try with just one stick of ram in the slot indicated by the manual and did you do a full clear of the cmos after the flash...

If that does not work I would look at the chip to be certain there is no damage

2 minutes ago, aledsav1 said:

have you got the ram in the right slots? try with just one stick of ram in the slot indicated by the manual and did you do a full clear of the cmos after the flash...

If that does not work I would look at the chip to be certain there is no damage

I'll try the RAM trick. 

I did; removed the battery for about 2 minutes before re-inserting (power was off and disconnected during this).

I can check the chip, absolutely, but I'm as close to certain that it's not damaged or misaligned.

when you removed battery and unplugged psu power cable did you press the start button for 30 seconds to discharge any residual electricity in the system?

It might have been the ram slots being wrongly populated giving the original issue, though the second bios flash mght then have created another?