Do you think it is worth it to sacrifice battery life for perfomance in my use case?

I recently posted about this kind question several days ago and I wanted more opinions.

I am a freshman. I am going to use it for my computer engineering course and we will probably do a lot of programming and CAD in the future and my choices were narrowed down to 3 out of 4 options: TUF A15, Helios Neo 15, TUF A16 Advanced. I still can't choose because Idk if it is worth it to go for the Helios Neo 16 because it is looks heavy on paper and it has low battery life. Of course, I expected the battery life problem since it is a gaming laptop. I just don't know if it will die on me while in class. So I want a balance of both performance and battery as much as possible and it seems the A15 had the balance of both but I would sacrifice the screen aspect ratio for it which a small price to pay yet I do want to experience a 16:10 screen. The A16 has the best battery life but is perfomance is like the last gen's combo of R7 6800HS and RTX 3060, and I don't want to remove the ability use 3D rendering and video editing software in the future so the RX 7600S isn't ideal for me.

Should I go for the A15 with an 4060 or go ham with the Helios Neo 16?

6 minutes ago, ThousandBlade said:

sit near a outlet in class. or bring an extension cable.

I do hope the extension cord is allowed lmao. But still, I'll keep that in mind.

5 minutes ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

I do hope the extension cord is allowed lmao. But still, I'll keep that in mind.

I did that when I was in school. XD

Got a lotta looks, but nobody came to stop me.

This is my personal opinion, but if you have tried running rendering with a performance/gaming laptop while plugging the cord, you will always wanted to plug the cord for rendering because the difference compared to running with the battery is immense.

Any modern gaming laptop (RTX3050,3060, or sometimes 3070) will do well for you to use in the class, if you are using it only for taking class note.

I would recommend to stay away from RTX 40 series laptop for a while, because of the inflated price and misleading TDP as informed from Jarrod's Tech Youtube video (here's the link for reference)

Or you can wait till there's a major firmware/driver update to actually use RTX 40 series to it's best potential

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

1 hour ago, ImWilly said:

This is my personal opinion, but if you have tried running rendering with a performance/gaming laptop while plugging the cord, you will always wanted to plug the cord for rendering because the difference compared to running with the battery is immense.

Any modern gaming laptop (RTX3050,3060, or sometimes 3070) will do well for you to use in the class, if you are using it only for taking class note.

I would recommend to stay away from RTX 40 series laptop for a while, because of the inflated price and misleading TDP as informed from Jarrod's Tech Youtube video (here's the link for reference)

Or you can wait till there's a major firmware/driver update to actually use RTX 40 series to it's best potential

I'm also buying one that will last me over 3 years since I won't be buying a new laptop until it breaks so having the best specs for the price is also what I consider along with battery life and performance so I think I'll go for the latter suggestion even though the former suggestion makes the most sense. But like the title says, I don't know if it is worth it to sacrifice battery life for perfomance. 

45 minutes ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

I'm also buying one that will last me over 3 years

I am actually indecisive of RTX 40 series, but if there is a great deal, I think it's worth a shot

45 minutes ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

But like the title says, I don't know if it is worth it to sacrifice battery life for perfomance. 

It depends, if that is your one and only piece of tech and you don't have a PC, having performance Laptop is a better choice. The same goes if you have dedicated PC, a mobile and great battery laptop would be a good choice.

I will elaborate comparison between ASUS TUF A15 (AMD Ryzen 9) and ACER PREDATOR HELIOS NEO 16 (Intel i7 13th Gen) in CPU, here is my general rules of thumb of pro and cons:

Intel:

Pro - Higher gaming performance when plugged

Cons - Not great when battery powered, and generate more heat

AMD:

Pro - Better performance in battery management, which means you can use it longer when in class/outdoor. Not generate heat as much as Intel counterpart

Cons - When plugged, it performs less than Intel, especially in high power limit

So I would suggest to choose ASUS TUF A15 as your daily driver and mobile activity

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

On 5/12/2023 at 4:02 PM, ImWilly said:

I am actually indecisive of RTX 40 series, but if there is a great deal, I think it's worth a shot

It depends, if that is your one and only piece of tech and you don't have a PC, having performance Laptop is a better choice. The same goes if you have dedicated PC, a mobile and great battery laptop would be a good choice.

I will elaborate comparison between ASUS TUF A15 (AMD Ryzen 9) and ACER PREDATOR HELIOS NEO 16 (Intel i7 13th Gen) in CPU, here is my general rules of thumb of pro and cons:

Intel:

Pro - Higher gaming performance when plugged

Cons - Not great when battery powered, and generate more heat

AMD:

Pro - Better performance in battery management, which means you can use it longer when in class/outdoor. Not generate heat as much as Intel counterpart

Cons - When plugged, it performs less than Intel, especially in high power limit

So I would suggest to choose ASUS TUF A15 as your daily driver and mobile activity

I see. I do have a PC but it is a potato pre-built at home as I only use it for media consumption and simple school works. I also have a limited space in my dorm so I can't have PC unless it is an mini ITX PC.

12 hours ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

I do have a PC but it is a potato pre-built at home as I only use it for media consumption and simple school works

Don't worry, in due time with diligence, patience, a pinch of hard work and heck lot of luck, you will build your dream PC and graduate from your Uni.

In a meanwhile, a great performance laptop should be a better fit for you (that is my personal opinion anyway), and it's worth to sacrifice battery life

Phone: