I7 6700 and msi z370-a pro compatibility?!?

IllyMilly

I acquired an i7 6700, which I know works, and a z370-a pro mobo. They are both LGA 1511, but when I install everything, it turns on for a second and then back off. All my fans spin for a second as well, and the power supply is a Corsair 850x. Any ideas??

Google informed me that the mobo is only supported on 8th gen cpu, but both are LGA 1511

5 minutes ago, IllyMilly said:

I acquired an i7 6700, which I know works, and a z370-a pro mobo. They are both LGA 1511, but when I install everything, it turns on for a second and then back off. All my fans spin for a second as well, and the power supply is a Corsair 850x. Any ideas??

That motherboard does not support the 6700. 8th and 9th gens only.  It still uses the 1511 LGA socket because its a 14nm++++ refresh from the skylake 6700, but Intel being Intel... They removed the support even though people managed to get 6700k working on the Z370 series with BIOS modding.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z370-A-PRO/support#cpu

Yeah I was given this and read that, was hoping it’s the the case since they’re both LGA 1511. Sadge times

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

That motherboard does not support the 6700. 8th and 9th gens only.  It still uses the 1511 LGA socket because its a 14nm++++ refresh from the skylake 6700, but Intel being Intel... They removed the support even though people managed to get 6700k working on the Z370 series with BIOS modding.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z370-A-PRO/support#cpu

Bios modding you say, how does one do that?

1 minute ago, IllyMilly said:

If you dont know then no point in trying^^   Its not just switching some numbers in a .ini file sadly.

You need Z170 or Z270 for that CPU.

BOIS modding

Unless your in China near those places that makes motherboards from salvage chipsets, I don't think it's worth digging into.

Sell your mobo and get another one.

1 hour ago, IllyMilly said:

There are maybe 2 hacked chines boards that can do overlapping cpu's but it's not gonna happen for your setup.

He was able to mod the bios but run a different unsupported cpu