Powercolor releases a passive cooled 7850. The HD 7850 SC3

Cobalt

So, Powercolor just announced a new 7850, the difference is that is passively cooled and has a really huge heatsink, that's it, no fans or moving parts, just a really big aluminum fin array conected to six  heat pipes which cool the 75W card.

Specs are as follows:

The graphics card features 1 GB of GDDR5 memory, which runs over a 256-bit memory interface at 4.8 GHz, has a core clock speed of 850 MHz, and features DirectX 11.1 compatibility as well as Eyefinity.

post-261-0-02414800-1368233250.jpg

The cooler seems to be a triple slot one, which seems pretty good for such a powerful card, though if someone here buys it I would like to know the heat numbers.

There is no current word on price or availability.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/powercolor-hd-7850-sc3-passive,22505.html

I will remain sceptic until someone post temp results.

Sorry if my English is not perfect, but it isn't my native language :)

Those heatpipes look good.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It's a dual slot card from the picture

Looks nice, to bad it's only got 1GB of GDDR5

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

It's a dual slot card from the picture

Yeah, but the heat sink would still take up more than two slots worth of space so it could be called triple slot.
System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

Yeah, but the heat sink would still take up more than two slots worth of space so it could be called triple slot.

Just 1 or 2 millimetres, no case has that low clearance. Not even HTPC cases.

My thoughts on this card: PCB colour = dealbreaker. Nothing says cheap like a red PCB. Maybe it's because all the crappy cards from the 90's had red PCBs.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Nice option for a silent build.

Add the passive CPU cooler and build a silent PC

I use i5-3470, 8GB kingston, SSD + 2x hdd, GTX 970

they can even make passive cooled 7870 the only downside would be losing overclocking opportunities 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

7850 for a decent gaming HTPC. Good stuff.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

7850 for a decent gaming HTPC. Good stuff.

thats what i was thinking 

''FX-9590 Hotter than lava''

I think that's dual slot :). TBH I don't look at these as passively cooled, I mean you still should be using a fan to cool it indirectly, but you can use a much more quiet fan with good results thanks to the larger heatsink.

Can't imagine the temperatures would be that acceptable on these.

Maybe nice for people who don't exactly play any sort of demanding game, like valve games or minecraft etc, but then again why would these kind of people need such a powerful GPU....

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Didn't the last card PowerColor tried to do this with pretty much burn itself?

Coool.... Red PCB, yes please.

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

Didn't the last card PowerColor tried to do this with pretty much burn itself?

don't think so. then again there will always be idiots that don't have fans inside a computer so who knows.

don't think so. then again there will always be idiots that don't have fans inside a computer so who knows.

Found out that it was the 6850 that was also passively cooled. Hexus did a review on this 7850. Looks like there needs to be good airflow inside the case to keep the temps down. An intake fan that blows directly to the card is preferrable.

Found out that it was the 6850 that was also passively cooled. Hexus did a review on this 7850. Looks like there needs to be good airflow inside the case to keep the temps down. An intake fan that blows directly to the card is preferrable.

don't most cases have side fans? i like the idea of passive cooling, especially since some case fans are just as good if not better than those 80mm's that come with cards most of the time.

i'm just waiting for a assymetrical angled blower styled card. can anyone say silence and exhausting air from your case?

just checked. the gf's current case has 2 120mm's right where the first three pcie x16 slots are. so she could xfire these and still get some good cooling. but that case has great airflow (8 fans total possible) so that probably isn't a rule of thumb for most.

Wow that's impressive. Kind of inspired me to make a SFF silent pc. I wish I had the money to make all my builds.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

This card looks sort of cheap imo because it looks like they just slapped on a passive cooler on it and created a new series of cards.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

don't most cases have side fans? i like the idea of passive cooling, especially since some case fans are just as good if not better than those 80mm's that come with cards most of the time.

i'm just waiting for a assymetrical angled blower styled card. can anyone say silence and exhausting air from your case?

Indeed most do. For SFF's or silence-optimized cases though, it might need direct flow from a fan.