Peerless Assassin 120 poor temps 13600k

R33p3r

Stock 13600k, rtx 3080, msi pro z790p, board, 750w segotep. All temps Celsius 

I have just built my first PC and everything is up and running smoothly except for the cpu cooler which has been a major headache. I was expecting really good performance from this cooler and have been unable to achieve it unfortunately. 

I get 42* in bios but better on desktop, around 37* average. I tried to bench cpu in intel extreme tuning and I hit 92* very quickly at 97% usage. Aborting returned temps to 33*. I want to note that this cooler is the original peerless assassin, not the se version.

For gaming, when I run "Grounded" temps hover around 65* but spike in the 70s with graphics options maxed 1440p. Cooler fans set to max out around 70*. I have been using afterburner to constantly monitor temps in game to stay on the safe side.

Lastly, I have reseated the cooler twice with similar results and have confirmed each time adequate paste spread. This last time I checked all mounting hardware and it is correctly installed. Everything done by the instructions. I do not want to take cooler off again unless I'm installing something different. Any suggestions welcome, though I'm hesitant to repaste this particular unit again. 

At this point my thought is to just spend the money and throw a decent 240mm aio in there and be done with it. Thoughts?

Since I've had to take apart the cooler multiple times I worry about about wear and tear on the parts. I was as careful as possible. I'm just wondering are the parts durable enough to be disassembled again to install an aio for example?

Have you checked the latest LTT video 7min16secs mark, there was a bit about the orientation of the PA Cooler because of it's offset that affected the cooling performance for the 13900k but might be affecting your setup too. Hope it helps (:

17 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

If you are just gaming, 70c is fine. 240m AIO wont help all that much, may be slightly quieter. When you do a full CPU load, yes these CPUS will spike to 90-100c thats normal behavior, they get really hot.

Thanks for the tip! I find so much conflicting information about these cpus, it had me stressing.

50 minutes ago, R33p3r said:

Stock 13600k, rtx 3080, msi pro z790p, board, 750w segotep. All temps Celsius 

I have just built my first PC and everything is up and running smoothly except for the cpu cooler which has been a major headache. I was expecting really good performance from this cooler and have been unable to achieve it unfortunately. 

I get 42* in bios but better on desktop, around 37* average. I tried to bench cpu in intel extreme tuning and I hit 92* very quickly at 97% usage. Aborting returned temps to 33*. I want to note that this cooler is the original peerless assassin, not the se version.

For gaming, when I run "Grounded" temps hover around 65* but spike in the 70s with graphics options maxed 1440p. Cooler fans set to max out around 70*. I have been using afterburner to constantly monitor temps in game to stay on the safe side.

Lastly, I have reseated the cooler twice with similar results and have confirmed each time adequate paste spread. This last time I checked all mounting hardware and it is correctly installed. Everything done by the instructions. I do not want to take cooler off again unless I'm installing something different. Any suggestions welcome, though I'm hesitant to repaste this particular unit again. 

At this point my thought is to just spend the money and throw a decent 240mm aio in there and be done with it. Thoughts?

Since I've had to take apart the cooler multiple times I worry about about wear and tear on the parts. I was as careful as possible. I'm just wondering are the parts durable enough to be disassembled again to install an aio for example?

Doesn't seem too bad, how much power does your CPU use on full load? At 200W+ any aircooler will reach 90C+ and even 360 AIO may as well

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Doesn't seem too bad, how much power does your CPU use on full load? At 200W+ any aircooler will reach 90C+ and even 360 AIO may as well

I am reading that it will use 181 watts max. So if I'm benching and temps hit low 90s but seem to be slowly climbing should I not worry about damaging the cpu? Do these 13th gen cpus not shut off at 100C? I am really just gaming right now but in the future I'd like to be able render animation and do some 4k video editing amongst other things. 

2 minutes ago, R33p3r said:

I am reading that it will use 181 watts max. So if I'm benching and temps hit low 90s but seem to be slowly climbing should I not worry about damaging the cpu? Do these 13th gen cpus not shut off at 100C? I am really just gaming right now but in the future I'd like to be able render animation and do some 4k video editing amongst other things. 

No reason to worry imo

Let a benchmark run for a longer time it should stabiize quickly on an aircooler 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

39 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

No reason to worry imo

Let a benchmark run for a longer time it should stabiize quickly on an aircooler 

I set cpu lite load to 9 in bios and now only max out at 89* on the Intel benchmark. I'm sure I could set back to 12 and do fine as well. Seems my issue was somewhat nonexistent but is resolved. Appreciate the tip!