GPU on its last legs(?)

sliekens

Hello,

I've been having problems with my video card (😔) and wanted to hear your opinions.

Basically, everything in my computer still works to a pretty high degree. However, I'm getting strange visual glitches in Windows and in my game (Guild Wars 2). The latter also causes my PC to crash sometimes. There is no BSOD but the crash usually announces itself through visual glitches in the game before the PC shuts off and restarts.

I attached screenshots to showcase the visual glitching I'm experiencing. I don't know if there is a name for this behavior or what could possibly cause it.

Some technicalities:

• Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
  • CPU: Intel i7700k overclocked to 4.8GHz from factory 4.2GHz
  • GPU: GTX 980 TI with factory clock speeds (Asus STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3OC-6GD5-GAMING)
  • RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) (Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R)
  • PSU: 750 W (Corsair HX750i)

As you might've guessed, my rig is quite old (from 2015). Aging could definitely be a factor here. But even so, I'm interested in knowing what part is dying? PSU? VRAM?

Thanks

dxdiag.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.d39f0a48d9f0e70c207f281b6fa19588.jpeg

glitch.png

Have you re done the thermal paste on the GPU at all in the 8 years that youve had it? Generally every 3-5 years i highly recommend replacing it since it does dry up and not do what it use to. Generally thermal paste drying up causing thermal issues is one of the leading causes of early GPU death, along with just a ton of use.

@Shimejii no, but HWMonitor shows that the temps do not exceed 93 C and the glitching occurs even at 45 C. You think there is thermal damage?

6 minutes ago, sliekens said:

@Shimejii no, but HWMonitor shows that the temps do not exceed 93 C and the glitching occurs even at 45 C. You think there is thermal damage?

My brothers 980TI EVGA SC didnt get above 82 but his gpu had an absolute crap ton of artifacting and such, i simply cleaned off the old thermal paste, put new paste on and made sure all the connectors were on properly, and fixed all the issues it was having.

My 1080ti last year was also having issues just instant crashing in games once it went above 79c, and i checked its thermal paste and it too was dried up. Fixed the crashing in games and lowered temps by 5c overall.

A simple repasting and cleaning CAN fix issues, but it may not fix whats already damaged or broken.

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

My brothers 980TI EVGA SC didnt get above 82 but his gpu had an absolute crap ton of artifacting and such, i simply cleaned off the old thermal paste, put new paste on and made sure all the connectors were on properly, and fixed all the issues it was having.

My 1080ti last year was also having issues just instant crashing in games once it went above 79c, and i checked its thermal paste and it too was dried up. Fixed the crashing in games and lowered temps by 5c overall.

A simple repasting and cleaning CAN fix issues, but it may not fix whats already damaged or broken.

Yes this is true. It sounds like similar problems I had with GPU's, a good repaste can fix the problem, sometimes though a GPU DIE can be already burnt out so it would not fix if so. When it is just artifacting from heat it normally can be fixed with a repaste.

Bit of a tech guy, converted to PC's when consoles did not entertain me enough, the last console being an Xbox, was fun with Halo multi-play though. But  the want to discover, to test, to learn more about computers drove me to levels I had never known...

Some GPU's I have had, 8800GTS 384MB, 7800GT, GEFORCE 4 MX440, 250GTS,  770 GTX, 1650 GTX, RTX 3050 Plus many other GPU's over the years...

The respect I have for LMG is massive like a black hole, sucking in all the knowledge, I watch their awesome video's, their knowledge is like that of a God. Seriously some say they are number 1 in the whole wide world. LMG is like the INTEL fabrication plant. Beaming with technology goodness...

@Shimejii @Trinity-W, Thanks, I removed the old paste (which hardened into a sort of dry clay) and replaced it with Arctic MX-4. Initial results are promising, my GPU temperatures are much lower around 70-75 C in FurMark (down from 90-95 C) and I'm not seeing any artifacts or crashes after about 20 minutes of gameplay. I hope that was really the problem.

I did make a mess with the cleaning solution (ArtiClean) while I was removing the old paste. I spilled some on the heatsink where I couldn't get it off. Now my entire room smells of chemical cleaner, I hope that's gone by tomorrow.

6 hours ago, sliekens said:

@Shimejii @Trinity-W, Thanks, I removed the old paste (which hardened into a sort of dry clay) and replaced it with Arctic MX-4. Initial results are promising, my GPU temperatures are much lower around 70-75 C in FurMark (down from 90-95 C) and I'm not seeing any artifacts or crashes after about 20 minutes of gameplay. I hope that was really the problem.

I did make a mess with the cleaning solution (ArtiClean) while I was removing the old paste. I spilled some on the heatsink where I couldn't get it off. Now my entire room smells of chemical cleaner, I hope that's gone by tomorrow.

Hi great! Sounds like you have sorted it. The temps are good now, much better. Well done. Ah the smell will pass soon enough. Happy gaming. 🙂

Bit of a tech guy, converted to PC's when consoles did not entertain me enough, the last console being an Xbox, was fun with Halo multi-play though. But  the want to discover, to test, to learn more about computers drove me to levels I had never known...

Some GPU's I have had, 8800GTS 384MB, 7800GT, GEFORCE 4 MX440, 250GTS,  770 GTX, 1650 GTX, RTX 3050 Plus many other GPU's over the years...

The respect I have for LMG is massive like a black hole, sucking in all the knowledge, I watch their awesome video's, their knowledge is like that of a God. Seriously some say they are number 1 in the whole wide world. LMG is like the INTEL fabrication plant. Beaming with technology goodness...