PC crashing semi-consistently when launching games after installing new AM5 setup

peterrobertsson

Hey

Yesterday I switched out my old motherboard, ram and cpu for a Asus ROG Strix B650e-f, 7800x3D and 32gb of DDR5 ram. In the process I also reinstalled windows and reformatted all my storage drives. Windows installation went smoothly but I've now run into a huge issue.

Occasionally when trying to launch a game, my main monitor will lose signal (other two monitors still work fine), the PC freezes although sound continues for a few seconds but then I'm forced to restart the pc using the reset button on my case.

When the games do manage to launch everything works great. I've also benchmarked everything and voltages, temps, etc is all good. I've tried with both EXPO on and off. Wiped GPU drivers with DDU. Nothing works.

My GPU is an RTX 4090 which I've for a while before and never had any problems with. I doubt it started acting up the day I changed everything else.

Any help is very appreciated!

Is the CPU running at stock settings? Also have you updated your bios to the latest version? Older bios versions for the 7000 X3D chips had a potential SoC voltage problem. Does this potentially happen with any game you try to launch? Are all games launching via steam, or do you have other launchers too? Did you do a clean reinstall of windows when you swapped out the hardware? Do a quick check to see if all the psu power cables are attached snuggly, and finally do you have a extra gpu to use for testing?

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

14 minutes ago, Fred Castellum said:

Is the CPU running at stock settings? Also have you updated your bios to the latest version? Older bios versions for the 7000 X3D chips had a potential SoC voltage problem. Does this potentially happen with any game you try to launch? Are all games launching via steam, or do you have other launchers too? Did you do a clean reinstall of windows when you swapped out the hardware? Do a quick check to see if all the psu power cables are attached snuggly, and finally do you have a extra gpu to use for testing?

Everything is running at stock settings. Bios is updated to the latest non-beta version. I've also monitored the SoC voltage and it looks fine. Crashes happens from multiple game launchers. Cables are definitely seated, and this is a clean install of Windows 11. 

I can get a hold of another GPU for testing in a few days if I don't manage to fix it until then. Do you think it's worth reinstalling Windows again?

The confusing thing to me is mostly that games do manage to launch some tries, and when they're up and running everything is flawless.

7 minutes ago, peterrobertsson said:

Everything is running at stock settings. Bios is updated to the latest non-beta version. I've also monitored the SoC voltage and it looks fine. Crashes happens from multiple game launchers. Cables are definitely seated, and this is a clean install of Windows 11. 

I can get a hold of another GPU for testing in a few days if I don't manage to fix it until then. Do you think it's worth reinstalling Windows again?

The confusing thing to me is mostly that games do manage to launch some tries, and when they're up and running everything is flawless.

You can reinstall windows if you want, but I don't believe it's the cause of your problem. 

This might be a stretch but go into your bios and check your PCIe setting, make sure it's set to PCIe 5.0. 

This does seem like a case of the GPU being the culprit. Can you list the full specifications of your PC hardware? 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

4 minutes ago, Fred Castellum said:

You can reinstall windows if you want, but I don't believe it's the cause of your problem. 

This might be a stretch but go into your bios and check your PCIe setting, make sure it's set to PCIe 5.0. 

This does seem like a case of the GPU being the culprit. Can you list the full specifications of your PC hardware? 

Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090

AMD Ryzen 7800x3D

Asus ROG Strix B650e-f

Kingston 2x16gb DDR5 6000mhz CL32

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB M2 SSD

Dark Rock Pro 4 air cooler

Fractal Design Torrent case

I do agree that it sounds like the symptoms of a GPU issue. I just think it's weird timing considering I've had it for a few months and these issues only started occuring the day I switched mobo, cpu and ram. But of course it's possible.

I will check which PCIe version I'm using tonight although on my old setup it worked fine with PCIe 3.0.

1 minute ago, peterrobertsson said:

Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090

AMD Ryzen 7800x3D

Asus ROG Strix B650e-f

Kingston 2x16gb DDR5 6000mhz CL32

Dark Rock Pro 4 air cooler

Fractal Design Torrent case

I do agree that it sounds like the symptoms of a GPU issue. I just think it's weird timing considering I've had it for a few months and these issues only started occuring the day I switched mobo, cpu and ram. But of course it's possible.

I will check which PCIe version I'm using tonight although on my old setup it worked fine with PCIe 3.0.

What PSU are you using? 

Your motherboard supports PCIe 5.0, I've seen issues where newer GPUs that support PCIe 5 on new mobos not working properly if the mobo is somehow not using PCIe 5. 

2 minutes ago, Fred Castellum said:

What PSU are you using? 

Your motherboard supports PCIe 5.0, I've seen issues where newer GPUs that support PCIe 5 on new mobos not working properly if the mobo is somehow not using PCIe 5. 

Sorry, forgot the PSU. Corsair RM850x is what I'm using. I'll make sure to check the PCIe version later. Thanks for the advice!

Let us know how it goes with the PCIe settings. 

Also I'd recommend using a larger PSU for a system running a 4090, technically a 850w will work... but the 4090 can have peak wattage spikes(around 450W) over half of your PSU wattage. 

19 hours ago, Fred Castellum said:

Let us know how it goes with the PCIe settings. 

Also I'd recommend using a larger PSU for a system running a 4090, technically a 850w will work... but the 4090 can have peak wattage spikes(around 450W) over half of your PSU wattage. 

Manually set it to PCIe 5.0, unfortunately had no effect. Also ran memtest86 with no errors. I will try reinstalling Windows again to be completely sure, then I will try another GPU as soon as possible and report back.

1 hour ago, peterrobertsson said:

Manually set it to PCIe 5.0, unfortunately had no effect. Also ran memtest86 with no errors. I will try reinstalling Windows again to be completely sure, then I will try another GPU as soon as possible and report back.

You could do a file system scan first.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e#:~:text=The sfc %2Fscannow command will,the Windows operating system folder.

also, try re-seating the gpu. Weird things can happen with those connectors…

22 hours ago, peterrobertsson said:

i would run samsung magician and check that it's updated and not one of those starting to fail.. 

I decided to try unplugging one of my monitors. I'm running a triple monitor setup, with one of them being in portrait mode which is the one I unplugged. Since then I've been trying to get it to crash but so far it hasn't. This could very well just be a lucky streak, as the crashes have been wildly inconsistent before this as well. Sometimes the first game I launch after restarting the PC would crash it again, sometimes I could launch it several times without any issues. I'm gonna play around some more and report back tomorrow if I manage to get it to crash. If not, does any of you have any experience with a similar problem? 

2 hours ago, peterrobertsson said:

I decided to try unplugging one of my monitors. I'm running a triple monitor setup, with one of them being in portrait mode which is the one I unplugged. Since then I've been trying to get it to crash but so far it hasn't. This could very well just be a lucky streak, as the crashes have been wildly inconsistent before this as well. Sometimes the first game I launch after restarting the PC would crash it again, sometimes I could launch it several times without any issues. I'm gonna play around some more and report back tomorrow if I manage to get it to crash. If not, does any of you have any experience with a similar problem? 

I heard of similar problems before, usually it seems to be a problem with the GPU. 

When you get a chance to test out the other GPU do it. It'll help you narrow it down, confirm if it's gpu hardware related. 

Okay, I'm now very confident this does solve the crashes. I've been launching games excessively many times over the last day and could never get it to crash. Tried plugging in the third monitor again and boom, first game launch it crashed. So something that happened between assembling my system and reinstalling windows, drivers etc has made my PC hate running triple monitors. I did try changing which displayport port was used but to no avail.

On 5/1/2023 at 9:13 PM, Fred Castellum said:

I heard of similar problems before, usually it seems to be a problem with the GPU. 

When you get a chance to test out the other GPU do it. It'll help you narrow it down, confirm if it's gpu hardware related. 

I'll definitely do so. I'm guessing this pretty much rules out any of the new components (motherboard, CPU, RAM) being the root cause? I'm also going to try some older GPU drivers when I have the time as I was running some older ones before this whole debacle. Do you have any other things you recommend I try meanwhile as it will be a few days before I can try the other GPU? I'm still doubtful that the GPU just happened to break now, it'd be some incredible timing. 

Can you run the displays on all the ports without crashes, or is it a specific port that causes the issue?

10 hours ago, Whatisthis said:

Can you run the displays on all the ports without crashes, or is it a specific port that causes the issue?

It's not a specific port, and I doubt it's a port/cable issue considering everything works great outside of specifically launching a fullscreen game.