How do I decompress x264 and x265 videos?

avg123

I want to decompress x264 and x265 videos. what software do I need for that and how do I do that.

I know its a lossy compression and I will not get back the original video.

I just want to trim sections out of the videos without having to deal with i, p or b frames. I want to trim at the exact frame I point to and its not possible with compressed videos. (I use Avidemux to trim videos)

You could use muxers/demuxers  like MKVToolnix to split bigger videos without decompression.

It supports several formats (mpeg 2 , mp4, etc) and outputs mkv files. You can specify to split the output in multiple segments (fixed time intervals or at specific time points, or once each file reaches some size) so you can take advantage of that to extract a small chunk of a big file without decompressing it.

The tool will cut the video as close as possible to the time you specify, where it finds a keyframe.

You can then load the smaller chunk in some tool and crop start and finish but you'll then need to recompress the whole video.

MeGUI can do the stuff you want - it's a wrapper around various codecs (like Handbrake). You need Avisynth to use it, but the tool will probably install / download Avisynth automatically, it has a update feature where it downloads what it needs if you let it.

"Aaiseesoft Video Converter Ultimate" is worth giving a try. It has a variety of tools, including a trimmer. Available as a giveaway, so there's no need to deal with pirates.

There is approximately a 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

https://handbrake.fr/

Handbrake! Been using it for over a decade, it was very hard to use but it's better now for me anyway. Very powerful and feature-rich, also it's FREE

7 hours ago, avg123 said:

(I use Avidemux to trim videos)

I assume when you try and trim or cut you are getting the error about about "* frames"? That's why you ask? Don't leave Video Output on Copy, change it (x264, or x265). This will technically re-encode the video, but it's quick, and uses what you are used to. You can leave Audio on copy.

4 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

I assume when you try and trim or cut you are getting the error about about "* frames"? That's why you ask? Don't leave Video Output on Copy, change it (x264, or x265). This will technically re-encode the video, but it's quick, and uses what you are used to. You can leave Audio on copy.

No problem I have is the cut always starts and ends at a key frame. Sometimes I want it to start or end at a frame that is not a key frame but that is not possible.